Coaches Judge help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jasmynn

Coach
Proud Parent
I've been told there is a place where you can upload a gymnast's routine and have an online judge tell you their deductions. However, I've looked and see no such thing. My gym owners refuse to do mock meets and won't send us to seminars. It's frustrating when you're coaching to the best of your ability and your kids routines look great and clean in your opinion, but they consistently get mid 8's. I can see a few deductions for minor balance checkst, etc., but would like to know what other deductions they are getting.
Thanks

The videos in your signature say not available, so it was hard to have a look. If you're just looking for general advice, conditioning and greater core control is going to be the key. When you see a routine pop it's because of the form with muscles showing on the whole body so the legs look extremely straight and core tight and straight.

For compulsories, drilling the arm pathways is also going to get a lot of bang for your buck.

Thanks. Those are old videos, not of routines. But I will post some and ylu can tell me what you observe.,

First, let me say your daughter is amazing! :) I'm sure you are, and should be, very proud of her. I looked at the 'recent' video of her, and the one thing that I saw, and seemed to be a consistent theme through out her levels, was form and detail, with a little technique thrown in. I remember the 'good old days' of who could throw the biggest trick or come up with something new always won, but not any more......Form and detail is really what they seem to be after. Many of the coaches here would be happy to help if you want to post a specific routine. In the mean time, tell her to point those toes, and squeeze those knees! ;) Again, she looks amazing. :)

A lot of her technique and form deductions are coming from a lack of flexibility. She is also lacking muscle memory for the correct shapes that appear throughout every skill in gymnastics (hence numerous deductions for the same problem scattered throughout the routines). It seems as if she was taught the skills first with the idea that the technique would come later instead of teaching the skill with the benefit of the correct technique. Most judges do private lessons, which I would recommend over on-line judging, but in your daughter's case, the errors are not as simple as hearing a list of what they are. I would be happy to offer suggestions of where to start. Are you her primary coach?

These are actually really old videos now. She is now competing level 8. Yes, the problem was she was never taught skills with the correct form. This was before I started coaching. Also, she used to compete for TAAF instead of USAG, so the gym was not as strict. We moved gyms and the new coaches had to do alot of correcting of form, etc. Now that I coach, I make sure my gymnasts don't move on to the next skill unless they can perform the prior one with good form and technique. Sloppiness has become my biggest pet peeve. I currently coach level 2-3 team. This is where it is important to learn proper form and technique.
Luckily my daughter was able to make corrections and transition fairly easily.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back