WAG House Chores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Chores are important for kids of any age. We modify dd chores during the week but she is expected to contribute to weekend chores.

I agree with some that say the kids are learning a lot of what chores may teach through their gymnastics (responsibility, etc.) but one key component they don't get at gym is the family connection. Yes, gym can feel like family but it's not. And in our house committments are 1. family, 2. school, 3. gym (or other activities) so it's important that our DD participate in household events and family events as well as do her part around the house to keep our family home in shape.

She is an only child so we don't deal with the struggle of what her part is compared to siblings, but I think we are on the moderate side of chore lists (definitely not light but I don't think it's too heavy either) that include both daily things like setting and/or clearing the table, cleaning up after dinner, picking up after herself, etc and weekly things like cleaning her/the guest bathroom, dusting, vacuuming and helping with yard work.

If she can't find time in the week to complete her chores then she skips her optional gym time to complete them, no arguments. There are occasions where we've let her out of a chore for a week or whatever because of too many conflicting things. Like I did some of her chores the first week of school because getting into the new schedule was a challenge.

Pick up clothes off the floor. Setting, clearing the table. Help with bringing in the groceries. Sometimes help cooking. That's all there is time for.
Sometimes, older gymboy will ask for a 'big' chore for $. Clean up the yard, cut the grass or wash the car (if he has no schoolwork, and I know he is rested). Sometimes I feel that their SLEEP is a chore!!! I make them sleep in on the weekends!

I think these kids make such a huge sacrifice in their young lives, that I know they understand the value of 'helping'. I know mine do. They really do help when they can. They won't hesitate to carry out laundry and throw a load in.........loading the dishwasher is another subject!!!!!!!

There can be some problems with telling a child they don't have to do chores because they have such busy schedules.

It can lead to the mentality as an adult of ' I'm just to busy to cook let's have take out every night' or just give them the general idea that because they are busythey don't need to do the daily tasks. As adults it does not. After how busy we are, we still need to take care of chores, we just work to do it as efficiently as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back