WAG hair decutions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sce

Proud Parent
I've heard a variety if things can cause deductions for hair. (In face, touching the ground in a handstand, bangs etc.)

Can someone clarify what the deductions are for hair?

Our coach told us the hair can't go last the shoulders or it is a deduction but we see hair past the shoulders at meets so who knows. :) We are required to have it in a bun.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

It is a deduction if you touch your hair. Or I your hair touches the vault.

We've been told (and I believe judges gave warnings) that the girls hair cannot flip forward and hit their face. It's a safety concern. So there are no rules on actual length, but guidelines I guess for how it sits during a meet. Do whatever it takes to keep it away from the face :)

Thanks, it seems there is a lot of varied info out there. Dd did a high ponytail, which was great esp. as her hair is curly.

My DD has a long braid and has never been deducted for her hair. Our gym does not require a specific style, which is great as DD is very particular about "The Braid."

We have a power point tutorial that the gym sends out to all the girls. Slicked back, high pony tail, tight curls, silver glitter spray. We get every detail, down to what brand of gel/hairspray works best!

DDs teammate a few years back liked to wear a long fishbone french braid. She had a spot in her xcel gold beam routine where it was sort of "choreographed" for her to flip the braid off het shoulder. She always scored very well!

I always hear that there is a deduction for hair past shoulders and such (our coaches have always said it at 2 different gyms); but I have to say that I have seen other teams with girls who had hair french braided and it was past their shoulders, they still seemed to score well...

Ive always put DD's hair in a bun or some kind of cute up-do. This year HC stated for all girls to have buns. I heard that if the hair can touch your nose then there is a deduction.

I heard that if the hair can touch your nose then there is a deduction.
See I keep hearing things that others have heard. But what is the actual truth? Or do judges in different areas approach the not in the face rule differently? Are there ay judges on CB?

I'm currently working towards my club judge exam, and we were told to deduct if the gymnast touches the hair, or adjusts their hair during any routine. We were also told to deduct if we felt their hair was in a dangerous position e.g. Covering their eyes when tumbling. Or the vault touching hair mentioned above.

But we were told hair deductions couldn't be more than 0.8 and that was if they were doing something like tumbles with their hair in the way.'

Hope this helps. But have only been to one weekend of training so far

Reactions: sce
JO Rules and Policies calls for a flat 0.20 for "incorrect attire"(hair is included in this category along with uniform and jewelry), which can be taken by the head judge after a warning is given. R&P only specifies that "hair be secured away from the face so as to not obscure her vision of the apparatus". I have only seen warnings given when a girls hair is hanging so long(think REALLY long ponytail) that it could get caught under her hands when doing a handstand or tumbling or swinging on bars. In these case the judge warned the coach and they put it up. I've never seen the actual deduction taken. But I have also seen girls with hair this long not get a warning. It is one of those things that is left up to the judges discretion and common sense.

We have a power point tutorial that the gym sends out to all the girls. Slicked back, high pony tail, tight curls, silver glitter spray. We get every detail, down to what brand of gel/hairspray works best!
Wow, that is pretty extreme IMO. That would drive me insane. What happens if girls have short hair or whatever ?

Reactions: sce
Yeah, in our judging books it says that we have to give slightly less deductions for beginner or low level comps. It's only grading levels etc that we have to be harsh. I'm in uk as that probably makes a difference

There is NO deduction for long hair and no written rule that says to take one even if they touch their hair during a routine. Same as with a wedgie pick. You could take something such as artistry or rhythm or even text but no specific deduction is written.

We had a judge holler out "hair check" during one of girls floor routine. She had a long ponytail so we were told that if the hair can be pulled around to the front of the face by the mouth it's too long. They have to wear it looped up in the back, bun or low pony. BTW, this was L6 & male judge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back