WAG going backwards with levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have no answer, other than what @thepenguin said about states.

Having a new L4 right now, and looking to next year, can I ask why she'd want to drop back?

Dropping Back through the Levels
  1. Once a gymnast has competed in a Sectional meet, she may NOT drop back to a lower level in the same competitive season.
    • If no Sectional meet is held, then the State Administrative Committee must determine prior to the beginning of the competitive year, a designated "declaration" date for each level for such purpose.
  2. If a gymnast does not qualify to the State Championships, she may petition to drop back one Level at the beginning of the next competitive season.
    1. For Levels 7 and below, petition is sent to the State Administrative Committee Chairman.
    2. For Levels 8, 9 & 10, petition is sent to the Regional Technical Committee Chairman.
  3. Once an athlete competes in the State Championships, she is not allowed to drop back.
    Valid reasons would be considered by the State Administrative Committee Chairman (for Levels 7 & below) or the Regional Technical Committee Chairman (for Levels 8, 9 & 10) for dropping back an athlete who has competed in a State Championships. Exception: Mobility is allowed back and forth from Levels 5 and 6 without going through the petitioning process.
    1. These reasons would include injury, illness, or other extenuating circumstances that would have prevented the athlete from continuing to train at the level at which they previously competed.
    2. If a valid reason does exist, the athlete would be able to drop back only one NUMERICAL level (i.e. competed Level 8, permission to drop back one numerical level to Level 7.)

So it looks like even if she doesn't compete in states, if she qualifies, she'd have to petition to move back.
I learn something new every day :)

Wow, I never knew all of that. And that is interesting considering one of my dd coaches threaten the entire team of moving them back all summer long. There's no way she could do that, she would have to petition for all of them. :rolleyes:

So it looks like even if she doesn't compete in states, if she qualifies, she'd have to petition to move back.
I learn something new every day :)

It depends on your state. If your state has sectionals, then it depends on if she competes in sectionals. If no sectionals, then she can drop back a level as long as she didn't compete the higher level after a certain date. Our state has the designation date about a month before state meet. So, for example in our state, you could make the qualifying score at an invitational meet at level 5 any time before the designation date (so for us usually end of February) and then as long as you didn't compete L5 after February you could still compete L4 for state meet or any time the following year. So, theoretically you could score a 38 at L5 in a meet in January and still compete L4 at state meet or the following season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back