Voluntary Levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Massive well done to everyone who's competed so far and good luck to everyone with comps coming up. Competition season seems to have snuck up this time - maybe as dd has had a couple of injuries and we weren't really sure what she was going to be doing so they've been concentrating instead on the long term work. She has two comps coming up, still with some decisions to be made, but is getting there!
We went to watch some friends compete. Scoring seemed harsh in our region.

Don't know all the result from our county, but wanted to share my proud mummy moment, my dd did her first voluntries yesterday doing level 7 and she won, not only did she win her age group (7) but also overall level 7 winner with an overall score of 49.55

West mids results are up on the birmingham flames website, but not the actual west mids site?! I judged beam and must say that the city of Birmingham girls were outstanding - I only took 0.8 deductions from one of the girls!

Level 4 was won by Lissie Cabrera (COB)
2nd went to a gymnast from revolution, if I remember correctly and I think 3rd was Sophia from COB. rest of the team were from Uttoxeter, and COB again iirc as the results aren't showing on my phone!
Level 3 Park Wrekin took all 3 podium places, city of Worcester's Emer Hancock 4th and Talia Murphy from b'ham Flames 5th.
There were only 2 level 2 entrants, both from Uttoxeter.

Flossy, is your dd off elite track then if she hasn't done comp. 3 this year? I know you said your club is strict and you were half thinking about trying the ooa route...

If she's still elite track how does it work if you miss compulsories (injury, for example). Do you get a re-sit or do you just do it ooa the following year? I'm sure I've seen kids do l3 in the spring and then do the l2 resit in the autum with the voluntaries?

Level 4 was the one level that I watched at the southeast and was surprised by a few things. Now I appreciate I might not have seen everyone and there were about 50 girls in and out of age but we were watching an in age friend so kind of kept a good eye.

In age I only saw one double flick on beam - all others were backward walkover flick. I only saw one full twist on floor and don't recall even any half twists and all seemed to do the half on vault (fall to mats) rather than the round-off fall back vault.

The girl who won was amazing - particularly on bars - she did a stalder which was just beautiful to watch.

Out of age I was surprised just how many didn't have giants.

I wouldn't expect a double flick until level 3 really. I seem to remember there are usually very few full twists at in age 4 at nationals. After all you don't need a full twist at compulsory 3. And out of age 4 usually about half and half with and without giants especially at the older end. A stalder at in age 4 sounds lovely! One of my favourite moves.

I thought the point of introducing the compulsory/elite track was to prevent very young kids being pushed into very hard skills too early? It was supposed to slow them down and concentrate on quality, rather than huge hours and burning out the very talented?

Stalders and double flic on beam at age 8/9 seems insane to me! It bent my brain when I saw in age level 4 regional kids doing BWO-BHS on beam- and they're not even elite track!

I also wouldn't expect double flick on beam at voluntary 4 as it isn't a requirement til voluntary 3. No one in daughters region did this.I was surprised that my dd was the only one doing roundoff tuck dismount when level 5 girls were even doing this earlier in the year at gm open. All the other girls did cartwheel tuck back dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back