Parents New to all this! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I'm new and already I've learned a ton just reading everyone's posts-thank you! My daughter is 7 and started gymnastics as a preschool level program. She was put on the "pre-team" (levels 3-5) when she turned 6, and they asked her to work with the team girls 3 months ago. The owner has her working on optional skills, but she still doesn't have the kip or a front tuck 100% yet. Our school does both USAG AND USAIGC. I know he plans to compete her at bronze to start, working toward silver, but (here's the question!) can he just put her in as a 6 for USAG? She doesn't have all those skills yet, but she's not learning the compulsories anymore so I don't know how she'd do 4 or 5? I'm confused! Thanks in advance :)

I don't know about USAIGC. But for USAG levels 4 and 5 can't be skipped. You need a 31 all-around score at L4 before competing L5 and again at L5 before competing L6 or L7.

Thank you! I'm planning on meeting with the coach to see what his plan is. I seems like she'll have to go back and relearn those compulsories. Once her kip is stronger, she's set for 4, and then she needs to hit the front tuck unspotted and she's good for 5. She'll just have to rememorize the actual routines since she hasn't worked on them since June.

Sounds like they want her to compete Xcel (bronze then silver) until she is ready for optionals, and then score out of L4 and L5?

Usaigc bronze is what they are going for, not xcel, by the sounds of it. Usaigc levels are a little higher than xcel, compared side to side. She can't go into JO as an optional without either scoring out of compulsories or until she is fourteen, in hs, and petitions in. Some gyms, like our old gym, completely focus on usaigc. Like xcel girls are optionals from the start. For what it's worth, in our experience it's a fantastic program.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is it common to not work on the compulsories and then just do them once to get into optionals? Right this minute not having the kip 100% I don't think she'd be able to do the 4 anyway so maybe they plan on having her only do USAIGC for now..I'm going to ask :)

I know this is done with some girls at our gym they do a mock meet to have girls score out of 4 and 5 in one day and then compete level 6.

At least at our old gym, you needed a kip for USAIGC bronze too. I do not think it's all that common to skip compulsories unless you start really old and play catch up really fast.

A kip is not required for USAIGC bronze. My DD competed bronze without a kip. It IS required for USAG level 4

A kip is not required for USAIGC bronze. My DD competed bronze without a kip. It IS required for USAG level 4

I just meant at our gym it was, and it seemed everyone competing had one. Just like in xcel bronze last year everyone had at least a pullover, which wasn't required either, but I saw no one compete without one.

Thanks! This is a lot for a girl who grew up playing softball! Who knew I'd be a dance/gymnastics mom! Lol she is soooo close to the kip. The coach told her today she should have it in a few weeks. I'm proud of her because it's the first thing she's REALLY struggled on and she's done a good job not getting too frustrated.

Jessmomto2-what do you mean by mock meet? Like an unsanctioned one? Can the gym just make one up? Sorry to have so many questions! Thanks!

I am not sure my daughter is in a class right now that is set up to work this way but she is too young to really plan anything for sure. I just know they said they would have a judge come to the gym and have the girls do routines for level 4 and 5 and then they would get their scores from that and move up to level 6.

I know this is done with some girls at our gym they do a mock meet to have girls score out of 4 and 5 in one day and then compete level 6.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mock meet", but it has to be a USAG sanctioned meet for the gymnasts to get mobility scores for the higher levels.

We have sanctioned our mock meet in the past so it can be done. This is how my DD scored out of old L6 a couple of seasons ago. We also did it when we killed our Xcel program and needed to get those girls back to JO levels.

I think at 7 years old she is 1. not old enough for level 6, I believe you have to be 8. And 2. i think she should start with JO4 and see how she does... having skills and being able to compete them is two different things. Just my opinion. No reason to rush it at her age, she has plenty of time to learn how to compete.

Thanks! Yes, level 4 is what I thought as well but the coach took her off that team and put her with the older girls to work on optionals....this was my confusion...I need to sit down with him and see what his plan is. She is doing very well and is a very determined kid, but she is definitely not a level 6 yet. In an unrelated story, she did 2 giants today on strap bar! It looks terrifying!!!! (Sorry, but who else can I brag to?! :)

We have sanctioned our mock meet in the past so it can be done.

I know ... I'm being pedantic. But if it is sanctioned, is it still a "mock meet"? To me a mock meet is one that doesn't count. If it is a sanctioned meet that isn't open to other gyms, I would call it an in-house meet.

I will stop now. ;)

i'm with ya- mock is just a practice meet here... like a dress rehearsal.
"in house" is what we call a score out/mobility meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back