WAG 1/2 handstand pirouette on bars - which value and how hard is it really?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flaviatumbles

Why does a 1/2 handstand pirouette come so late in gymnastics? (I guess L8 in USAG?)

Is it harder than a free hip to handstand/toe circle to handstand/stalder to handstand?

And why? What is the hard part about it?

Why does a 1/2 handstand pirouette come so late in gymnastics? (I guess L8 in USAG?)

Is it harder than a free hip to handstand/toe circle to handstand/stalder to handstand?

And why? What is the hard part about it?

and another question... after a kip cast handstand half pirouette - do I need to do another kip or is it possible to go right into a toe circle coming out of the pirouette?

You start learning circling skills earlier because they require more timing and strength to perform and therefore longer to learn. So it's not so much that you learn a half-pirouette later, but that you learn circling elements earlier or that's my understanding of it.

Some gymnasts also find it harder to hold their feet up so to not hit the ground out of a turning skill than a circling skill.

Why does it come so late in USAG (yes level 8 is correct)? Because USAG has deemed the skill a C and only level 8s and above can do C level skills except circling elements to handstand which are also Cs. This is what USAG has deemed. Level 6s and 7s can't do Cs, except for circling elements (free-hip, toe-circle, and stalder), which are an exception.

It is totally possible to do a circling element directly out of a half pirouette, and even easier to do a circling element to handstand and then pirouette.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-30_17-18-46.png
    upload_2014-9-30_17-18-46.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 58
  • upload_2014-9-30_17-18-50.png
    upload_2014-9-30_17-18-50.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 41
Some gymnasts also find it harder to hold their feet up so to not hit the ground out of a turning skill than a circling skill.

This is totally my daughter - give her a giant any day over keeping her feet off the floor after a half pirrouette. She just can't seem to get the rythym on this skill.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back