Parents Red rub marks on hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

auswi

Proud Parent
DD is an enthusiastic IDP 5 training 24 hours a week. She's developed red raw rub marks on her hands from bar work. She doesn't seem to have any obvious calluses which could be contributing. One other girl in her group also has very painful hands and she is a very hard worker like dd. Any advice on soothing/ healing / toughening the skin would be really appreciated.

My older DD has this problem. It isn't rips. She had rips off and on ever since she was doing 5 hours (in fall 2012). But back in January of this year she was up to 12 hours per week and wearing grips. Since then she has red raw spots on her hands. It never really turns into rips, but never heals. We have tried tea bags, prep H, hand balm, lotion, exfoliating... nothing seems to get it to heal. :( She seems content to deal with it, jokes that she will never be a hand model. I do wish that they would heal up though!

Just a note for non-Australian people who might be interested: IDP bar routines are probably different to what you might be thinking of when you hear 24 hours of training. It's on a single bar and is the second level in which they compete NOT in gloves and straps.

Yeah I've seen that they use strap bar. Does she have strap burn on her wrists? Very common but could likely be alleviated with a different wristband.

My older DD has this problem. It isn't rips. She had rips off and on ever since she was doing 5 hours (in fall 2012). But back in January of this year she was up to 12 hours per week and wearing grips. Since then she has red raw spots on her hands. It never really turns into rips, but never heals. We have tried tea bags, prep H, hand balm, lotion, exfoliating... nothing seems to get it to heal. :( She seems content to deal with it, jokes that she will never be a hand model. I do wish that they would heal up though!

Hi 2G1B, you've described exactly Dd's hands- they are not rips- she's had these as well!! I've been researching since I posted and some gymnasts have used thin Duoderm which is a skin spray barrier. I'm not sure what the Australian equivalent is but I'll let you know how successful it is. My Dd jokes about her hands too- but I know they really hurt her, hopefully we'll find a solution that works soon:)

Yeah I've seen that they use strap bar. Does she have strap burn on her wrists? Very common but could likely be alleviated with a different wristband.
Hi gym dog, she doesn't have strap burn on her wrists, just these raw places on her palms which actually are more like abrasions rather then rips - she's had rips as well in the past.

You can buy Duoderm in Australia. Is this the same?http://www.convatec.com.au/wound/duoderm-registered
Chemist Warehouse has them (and presumably most other pharmacies).
Thanks Coz, she has a double training session today so we will get some after the morning session. We also wondered about the white gloves she wears while training straps as chalk is quite abrasive. I don't wash them after every session but the gloves are so cheap I'm going to invest in some more pairs and change them after every session, hopefully it will all help:)

I haven't used Duoderm and we're not at the rip stage yet. For normal bandaid situations I use Tegaderm or Opsite (also easy to get from pharmacies) which is like 'contact' for covering books. Peel it off and it's like glad wrap on the skin. Stays on for showers. Not good if the wound is weeping, but great for a lot of things and for places where it's hard to stick things or you're replacing band aids frequently. Stays on for days.
There's also 'healing gel' which is the consistency of glue/gel which you spread on wounds and it drys thin and flexible. Lasts for most of a day then the edges peel off. I'd be inclined to try this as it's cheap too :) Doesn't sting like the spray on bandaid stuff does.

You mean just chalk from the floor right? (On the gloves)

Hi Coz , I wondered if constant application of chalk from the chalk bucket was aggravating her hands- anyway so much for my theory, apparently her beloved not- new gloves are favoured because they're worn into her hand shape:) We have tried the Duoderm for 2 nights now and the improvement has been crazy, way less red and the rawness healed over!! And she trained 10 hours over the 2 days so it has to be the Duoderm:):)

Hi Coz , I wondered if constant application of chalk from the chalk bucket was aggravating her hands- anyway so much for my theory, apparently her beloved not- new gloves are favoured because they're worn into her hand shape:) We have tried the Duoderm for 2 nights now and the improvement has been crazy, way less red and the rawness healed over!! And she trained 10 hours over the 2 days so it has to be the Duoderm:):)
Oops posted too soon! Thanx for the info about the Tegaderm etc I'm going to get some in case we need it- it sounds ideal for rips.

Reactions: COz
http://www.amazon.com/DGS-Rip-Guardian/dp/B007H90GQA

This? Not sure how easy it is to get or ship to Aus. I've heard it works well though.
Thanx for the link gym dog. After only 2 nights the Duoderm has made a crazy improvement- rawness gone, red has faded quite abit and most importantly way more comfortable, and with 10 hours training over the 2 days! Today I'm going to try to order some as she has had rips before and they are so painful until they heal- not that dd complains - she sees them as some kind of 'Badge of Honour' because rips to her means she's worked hard:)

Hi 2G1B well we've tried the Duoderm for 2 nights ( she put it on after her shower) and the improvement has been crazy. Rawness gone and the red has faded quite abit- most importantly she is way more comfortable, and she's had 10 hours of training over the 2 days. It might be worth you trying this product on your dd?

Hi 2G1B well we've tried the Duoderm for 2 nights ( she put it on after her shower) and the improvement has been crazy. Rawness gone and the red has faded quite abit- most importantly she is way more comfortable, and she's had 10 hours of training over the 2 days. It might be worth you trying this product on your dd?

Very interesting. I looked it up in amazon. Is it just "liquid bandaid"? Does it put a barrier between their hands and the bars (or whatever equipment)? You leave it on under grips and such?

Thanx for the link gym dog. After only 2 nights the Duoderm has made a crazy improvement- rawness gone, red has faded quite abit and most importantly way more comfortable, and with 10 hours training over the 2 days! Today I'm going to try to order some as she has had rips before and they are so painful until they heal- not that dd complains - she sees them as some kind of 'Badge of Honour' because rips to her means she's worked hard:)

The rip guardian I believe can be used under some tape while doing bars. I'm glad the Duoderm is helping!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back