Parents Home and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lots of good ideas here. 1 thing I keep reading is scheduling time to do the work. I like it!

We try to do homework blitzes. We get our work a week at a time. On non gym days we get as much done as possible. Although I like the schedule. Sounds much more organized.

We, too, work on scheduling and planning. DD is in 6th grade, middle school, with 6 classes. I know a lot of moms who step back at this grade, but I do still help her plan (don't help with the homework really, just the planning).

She gets some weekly work, and some nightly work.
Home from school at 4pm. Homework and some decent snack until 4:50. Change and out the door to practice. 5:10-8:10. Home at 8:20. Back to homework until it's done. On Fridays, she still does the 4pm homework, but I don't make her get back to it after practice.

She's an early riser compared to when she needs to leave in the morning, so she reads in the morning to try and get it out of the way.

When there's a project, I will say "Okay, do "this" on Monday, "that" on Tuesday, we can do that part on Saturday", etc.

Over the summer when she moved up to practice 4 times a week, we pushed for showers every night. I will admit that sometimes that doesn't happen - LOL!

We do all the homework for the week on Saturday and Sunday - it makes the week easier but there's loads of it and DS does sometimes complain that weekends are worse than school days! There isn't any other way we could do it though as he goes directly from school to practice, finishes fairly late and then there is a 35-40 minute commute home.

A quick update and thank-you to everyone who responded. It seems so obvious now but the making a plan worked!
Friday homework came home, it's due on Wednesday.
She had a friend round after school, so after that, I sat with her and wrote her tasks out and asked her how long she thought each would take.
Then I drew timetable of what we had on before Wednesday and how these tasks could fit in. We agreed the practicing times tables/factors/similes and collective nouns are good travel activities. And then the rest - well she's finished it all already, so we can do something fun after school tomorrow. She loved ticking off the task when she's finished it.
Thanks again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back