Parents New here, and have a question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jhueste

Proud Parent
My daughter is level 4 this season and really loves gymnastics (who doesn't though?)

Anyway, of course, her biggest issue is the bars, especially the kip. I know this is a tough skill, but last month, she was able to do two kips in a row. Since then, she seems to be going backwards. Is that normal? How can she accomplish two kips in a row and then nothing? It's like she's scared of the bars now.

Is there anything I can do to help her, we have tried several private lessons and she does some drills at home, but I am at a loss. And it seems critical now that competition season is here and her first meet is next month.

And I'm new at this whole gymnastics thing but seem to be learning quickly. I love coming on here to either confirm my decisions or get some advice.

Yes. Normal. Unfortunately. Also unfortunately, what you can do about it is the hardest possible thing. Nothing. Don't mention it. Don't suggest drills at home. Appear to be completely unconcerned. If she brings it up, just say, "You'll get it. You've done it before and I know you can do it again. I'm not worried." If she or her coach suggests a private and you can afford it, then go for it, but don't suggest it yourself. She WILL get it. And you'll be back on here next year asking about flyaways. And we can talk you down again. I still need to give myself the same speach multiple times about multiple skills, and still sometimes need to get on CB and have someone talk me down. Really and truly, the only thing YOU can do is to put zero pressure on her. I wish I had a better answer for you.

VERY normal.
The only thing we found that could help my DD at home is a pull up bar to help strengthen her core muscles. (Bought after she was "the very worst" pull-upper EVER - her words - and we figured it couldn't hurt).

We are going through the same thing with the pirouette. Had it, lost it and it's like a snowball effect....all her bars are a hot mess.

Mary A is right. Don't mention it and when she brings it up, reassure her that she and her coach will figure everything out and that you have complete faith that she is working as hard as she can and that you love her no matter what.

Yes. For my DD the kip came and went for a few months. Than it finally stuck. DD never practiced at home other than playing around. I certainly never helped. I wouldn't even know how to help. They are in the gym enough hours. She will get it. Just be supportive and always let her know how much you believe in her. It's only just begun.....enjoy the ride!

Thank you so much! I know most of the answers to these question is to do nothing, and I think I needed to hear the same. I think I tend to get more frustrated than she does. It's just that the bars are her nemesis. Last year in level 3, she couldn't do her front hip circle to save her life in practice, but during a meet, she did it beautifully. I'm praying this isn't the case with the kip because she knows the kip is the most important piece in bars from here on out.

Mine got it for a few weeks, and then lost it for 6 months o_O........it came back fine.
Dont stress. the worst thing is for you to add more stress to her situation.
Getting skills and loosing skills is part of this crazy sport. It will happen many more times.

My DD got her first kip at the end of June. Lost it for a few weeks. Came back end of July. In Aug was gone again. First part of Sep she could only get it at open gym. Last 2 weeks she is getting multiple kips each practice. Is it here to stay?? I have no idea. At first when she was getting it I would ask. In Aug we didn't talk about it at all. Now she comes home and says that it is back....My DD had the same issue with that crazy fhc :)

Totally normal! And like others have said not a whole lot you can do. Just remind her that if she has done it once she can do it again.

Well, I guess I need to eat my words and worries. She was able to do three kips last night. However, I did not even mention the word kip on our drive to the gym (per your advice) and kept the conversation non-gym related. I'm so glad I found this place. Thank you!!

Well, I guess I need to eat my words and worries. She was able to do three kips last night. However, I did not even mention the word kip on our drive to the gym (per your advice) and kept the conversation non-gym related. I'm so glad I found this place. Thank you!!

When we were going through the same thing, someone here mentioned the CB Magic - say here that your DD can't do it, and VOILA! she does! :))

Knowing this already, it still makes me so nervous just reading about the reality of here today/gone tomorrow . 2 weeks from her first meet and kip is still not achieved once, let alone consistent. Nice to have the confirmation to not say anything at home though, that's what I've been doing...

I don't like referring to "losing skills"... they aren't LOST, they are just on VACATION (or they are playing Hide and Seek - even better)!

My daughter is level 4 this season and really loves gymnastics (who doesn't though?)

Anyway, of course, her biggest issue is the bars, especially the kip. I know this is a tough skill, but last month, she was able to do two kips in a row. Since then, she seems to be going backwards. Is that normal? How can she accomplish two kips in a row and then nothing? It's like she's scared of the bars now.

Is there anything I can do to help her, we have tried several private lessons and she does some drills at home, but I am at a loss. And it seems critical now that competition season is here and her first meet is next month.

And I'm new at this whole gymnastics thing but seem to be learning quickly. I love coming on here to either confirm my decisions or get some advice.
We parents used to joke with our kids that there was a kip thief. Or that maybe it was lost in the pit. Sometimes helping them see some humor helps. My DD is the victim currently of a Kip Cast Handstand thief. I am ashamed to say I have put some pressure on her lately and made her a little defensive. I need to step back a little and trust her, her coach and the whole dang process. Even us vet Moms need to be talked off the ledge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back