WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

To the OP- questions about elite status always generate a lot of responses on CB. You aren't the first parent to come to this board seeking advice about going elite and you won't be the last. Realistically, after only two months in the sport, it really is too early to be thinking about this. Let her get some competitions under her belt and see if she likes competing as much as she likes training new skills. There's a big difference in the excitement level of learning new skills versus the amount of repetition that is required to make those skills competition ready.

Aside from questions about elite status you've also hit on some other topics that create a lot of buzz, like private lessons and practicing gymnastics at home. Also, some of the skepticism you see comes from past experience with trolls (for lack of a better term) who posted quirky and strange questions just to try and create drama. There's been a lot of this in recent months.

Every once in a while someone comes on this forum and asks about the elite path for their child. It tends to "stir the pot" a little.
No kidding!!!!

Let me be clear........I came on asking because it was mentioned to me and I felt like I was floundering and not really knowing what direction to turn. I was certainly NOT trying to say that my child would be needing to get there without the same amount of work or personal or family sacrifice of anyone else. I was not even saying that it was a sure thing, I am just saying, I know I messed up by not putting her in earlier, now I just want to know what I can do to make it happen if it ws destined to.

To the OP- questions about elite status always generate a lot of responses on CB. You aren't the first parent to come to this board seeking advice about going elite and you won't be the last. Realistically, after only two months in the sport, it really is too early to be thinking about this. Let her get some competitions under her belt and see if she likes competing as much as she likes training new skills. There's a big difference in the excitement level of learning new skills versus the amount of repetition that is required to make those skills competition ready.

Aside from questions about elite status you've also hit on some other topics that create a lot of buzz, like private lessons and practicing gymnastics at home. Also, some of the skepticism you see comes from past experience with trolls (for lack of a better term) who posted quirky and strange questions just to try and create drama. There's been a lot of this in recent months.

I promise I am not a troll, I am a concerned mom who realizes that I am about to embark on a really expensive journey and while the family and the child will make whatever sacrifices necessary I, as mom, want to make sure that it is the right sacrifices and not misdirected.........as in the private lessons obviously. The training at home I didn't realize I was doing wrong when I told the coach what we were doing she also said no no no so now we just do her "homework" which is mostly strengthening and other types of non dangerous drills.

6 hours to the nearest gym with L10 gymnasts? I know where you live, how is that possible?

I may be wrong but the closest that I found was in DFW...metroplex...........about 4 hour drive then to get to the other side an hour to two hours depending on traffic...........that is goggle maps talking NOT experience

Not 6 hours then.

I am sure there are closer gyms to you with L10's.

Find your state gymnastics website and email them, they will tell you where the closest ones to you are.

Honestly when my kid was 7 and we knew she "had talent" we looked at the nearest gym with a big program, saw it was 90 minutes away plus traffic and crappy winter driving. We told her it was not happening.

She did comp gym for five years, until stress fractures and surgery stopped her.

Honestly if she is good at gym she will be good at other things.

No way would I commute that far for gym, after all it is just a kids sport.

You are right to take this seriously. Gymnastics is very expensive and time consuming for the whole family. Most people slowly get sucked in and it is too late to get out before it is too expensive and time consuming. it is always good to be thinking of how you are going to handle this long term if it gets serious.

You are right to take this seriously. Gymnastics is very expensive and time consuming for the whole family. Most people slowly get sucked in and it is too late to get out before it is too expensive and time consuming. it is always good to be thinking of how you are going to handle this long term if it gets serious.

Thank you...........I was needing some validation here. I almost closed my account I am a bit down tonight.

Honestly when my kid was 7 and we knew she "had talent" we looked at the nearest gym with a big program, saw it was 90 minutes away plus traffic and crappy winter driving. We told her it was not happening.

She did comp gym for five years, until stress fractures and surgery stopped her.

Honestly if she is good at gym she will be good at other things.

No way would I commute that far for gym, after all it is just a kids sport.
After all, it's just a kids sport.......I say this every time I feel the gymsanity kicking in.......aHHhhhh yes, reality check! I pay and drive. They do the rest. If they reach the point of no return, I'm sure the coach will let us know.

I hope you can get a good evaluation......in Dallas........IF you can get someone to look at her for more than 5 minutes.
After that, go home and let her do gymnastics for a year or two and then revisit. No matter how you slice it, she Has to learn the basics.

Don't be down...we all have been around this sport for a lot of years and we may be a little jaded! Honestly we have seen or heard more in our collective gymnastics lives that you can imagine! In order to take advantage of our experience and adivce....you may have to put up with a little tough love. Don't let it discourage you....we say it with LOVE!

Don't be down...we all have been around this sport for a lot of years and we may be a little jaded! Honestly we have seen or heard more in our collective gymnastics lives that you can imagine! In order to take advantage of our experience and adivce....you may have to put up with a little tough love. Don't let it discourage you....we say it with LOVE!

Needed to hear that too...............thanks

Catiesmom, if you are not part of the "mommy club" at your current gym, then consider chalkbucket part of your "mommy club". Dont be so down. If something is meant to happen, then it will!

I may be wrong but the closest that I found was in DFW...metroplex...........about 4 hour drive then to get to the other side an hour to two hours depending on traffic...........that is goggle maps talking NOT experience
If you post roughly where you are ( how many minutes north/south/east/west of a major city), I am sure several people here can suggest several gyms for you to look at in the future. Also, I hope you stick around. In a community this big, there will always be some people who grate your nerves and vice versa. But it is a great place to learn and seek support as your daughter and family traverse the gymnastics world.

I am just saying, I know I messed up by not putting her in earlier, now I just want to know what I can do to make it happen if it ws destined to.

Yes this post is "real". I am sorry that I did not put my child into the gym at 2 or 3.

Just so you know, starting a child in gymnastics at 2 or 3 is a waste of money and does not mean she would have progressed quicker. At that age, the classes are nothing more than playtime. Alicia Sacramone started gymnastics at age 8 and competed elite at age 15. If your daughter has real talent she still has a chance. But realize the road to elite is ridiculously hard and uncertain. With only 2 months gymnastics training/experience, even the best coach will have nothing to evaluate. My suggestion is find the best gym that is convenient at the moment. See where it goes from there.

Here are a few of my thoughts...

If she is practicing level 6 skills, has her kip with cast to vertical (which I read to mean to handstand), is motivated and disciplined, then there is NO WAY I'd leave her at a gym that plans to compete her at level 2. If they want her to have some experience with competitions before starting with the higher levels, MAYBE I could see level 3. But honestly, practice with competitions doesn't need to be limited to the low, non required levels. There is no reason that I can think of that she can't get that practice with competing at level 4. The "big" skills for level 4 are kip with a cast to horizontal on the low and high bar, cartwheel on the beam and a vertical handstand with a short hold on the beam, round off double back handspring and front handspring on floor and a handspring over the vault. I get that you are in TX and it is my understanding that it is common in TX to compete a couple of levels down; but competing a kid with a kip to handstand at level 2 is a wast of the parents money and the kids time IMHO.

Now, about her starting late. There is a kid on my DD's old team. She came in to rec at 8 years old at the end of the season. She showed a lot of talent. She had her first competition season last year as a level 3. Won 1st AA at her first meet. Placed top 3 I believe at every meet she competed in last fall. Competed a meet at level 4 in the spring, placed top 3. She has already competed a level 5 meet this fall and I have heard that she will likely go ahead and do level 6, possibly level 7 in the spring. So, she went from an 8 year old, new to rec kid in spring of 2013 to level 3 in fall 2013 to level 6 or 7 by spring of 2015. It is totally doable for a kid with the talent and motivation.

I wouldn't feel sorry for asking questions! Shame on you who send sarcastic or unfriendly comments - if you are not willing to offer help then you don't need to comment.

I have always been on late starters side. I am a coach who gives opportunities to talented, older kids.

A year and a half ago I gave an opportunity to a 12 year old beginner - I invited her on my team. She was talented but didn't have that many skills though at first. She just happened to learn everything fast. She started gym on may and trained 3 days a week during summer. In the fall she started pre-competitive levels which require some basic strength, flexibility and skills to be performed (like TOPs tests in US but much easier skills of course). She passed those tests of bronze, silver and cold level tests easily and started competing from level B (you can't skip levels here). She did one competition in that level, moved up to level C, did one or two competitions of that too and moved up to level D in the spring, winning every competition. She surpassed all the girls who had done gym maybe 5-6 years longer than her. So she basically did three levels in a year and won every competition, 6 levels in a year if we count the non-competitive levels also. Of course we are not talking about an upcoming elite here but this was just an example how a gymnast can start late an catch up quickly. Now she's a level E (could be compared to level 7 in US).

So I don't see an 8 year old that old. She can become anything! Most likely not an elite but she can still become super good and enjoy it SOOO much, maybe even more than she would if she became an elite. I've heard that college gymnastics can be so much fun too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back