WAG Which way do we go?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If she is truly talented then she could catch up. For example, my daughter had a team mate who started gym at age 10. She competed the old level 5 at age 10, did one meet at the old level 6 at the end of the season. Last year as an 11 year old won 1st place AA state champion at Level 7, did one meet at level 8. This year she is 12 years old and will be competing level 9. She is also training to test for HOPES. She moved 4 levels in two years. She is amazing and I fully expect her to test as a Junior Elite someday. She is not the norm, but it does happen every now and then. She has a body type like Simone Biles, I have never seen a kid so muscular in my life and she is bloody fast too. Your daughter may or may not have this type of potential ( hard to tell right now). But dream big, anything is possible if you want it bad enough. Keep positive and enjoy every moment. In all reality, they could all decide tomorrow that they like boys better or pole vaulting, who knows.

I wouldn't feel sorry for asking questions! Shame on you who send sarcastic or unfriendly comments - if you are not willing to offer help then you don't need to comment.

I think this comment is uncalled for...people were just trying to answer the questions the OP put forth as the parent of a gymnast in the sport for 2 months and what path (JO, HOPES, TOPS , Elite) she should be aiming for ....as many of the posters have been in the sport for a lot of years, the parent got a variety of responses, and not all were what the OP wanted to/thought she would hear but people were being honest about this whole journey, not "unfriendly" or not helpful...

I think that posting "is this thread for real?" is a at least a LITTLE BIT sarcastic. Nothing wrong with a little sarcasm now and then, but I wouldn't say it is friendly or helpful or answers any of the op's questions.

let us be honest...If you didn't think "is this for real" or in my case (rolling of eyes) "not another one" you probably are also new to the sport. Newbies come to this board with questions and want our experience and knowledge. Sometimes you can't keep the ALL sarcasm from our posts. You take the good with the bad.
gymisforeveryone - We are all adults, is it really your place to discipline us?

Gymnastics is confusing and stepping in to it knowing nothing and only hearing what some perhaps overly excited coach has to say doesn't help clarify things. I agree with all the other posters that said seek a gym with more (or some) upper level gymnasts. Find a good gym with a good reputation and start there. Have them look at your daughter and then ask them all the questions you can think of. I would put aside for now the pursuit of National Team, TOPS or any other such program. Get her to a good gym that will develop all her basics properly so she has a good foundation. She can move quickly through levels if that's what is best for her but a reputable gym and coach will help you with all of that.

Thank you all again, I appreciate all the input. Sorry I have been off but I work from home and the last few days have been a nightmare.

As far as my child's gymnastics I have schedualed several days off this next month and will be travelling around looking at gyms. I do not know about having her with a "host family" just yet as I think this would be way too traumatic at this age and well I just don't think she is at the right level to think about that yet. BUT I was hoping to see some of these gyms and get 1 or 2 or even 3 other opinions on my child because I do think her coach is "rather excited" and so before I allow this to get out of hand I want to have others look at her too.

I talked with the owner and the Head Coach (two different people) last night about all the confusion and excitment and some of the many questions I had. Owner who trained for the national team I saw proof of that just have not had time to look up how far he got etc. Owner was not fully aware of what Head Coach was doing and I am quite sure after I left last night that their conversation continued. My Child will be tested by the owner and the Head Coach together with two of the other coaches ( I think preteam and team- though not positive yet) on Saturday, tomorrow. Where she tests she will be placed. And Owner said that I may be in for quite a shock because he thinks she is going to place quite high, he thinks she will be placed in the first level that is required for competition. I have no idea what level that is but he told me he thinks she is ready to perform above that but there are rules that are hard to circumvent and she will have to compete there till she scores into the next level but as soon as she does he is going to insist that she move. He said I should be ready for a very quick move up the levels till she evens out between the scores and where her abilities are. He is excited about her and apologized to me for whatever confusion that excitement caused. He did not realize how new this family was to gymnastics but figured it out when I forgot who Karoyli was and said "the guy ..........the you can do it guy" Well at that point he said.........yea you are brand new aren't you??. He apparently is excited because of my daughters attitute and willingness to throw herself into anything she is told to do without question. He says he has never seen her take more than a handful of tries to "get" a skill and that a lot of the work they are doing with her is "polishing". I assume that is make it pretty without wobbles and such.

OK gym history, and I did spend some time researching this so I know it is true. Gym has been open since 1986 and has produced 5 members that have made it to the national team. No olympians from what I can tell but whatever the national team is they made it.......this is from 1986 on a few years..........nothing really recent. This Owner that is now purchased the gym from the previous owner who have retired due to being a bit older. Apparently the reason why there is noone over the level 7 in the gym is because when this new Owner took over he jumped right in and started changing things and questioning the Head Coach at the time. The Head Coach was not used to this because the previous owners, due to their advancing age, spent less and less time at the gym and she was basically in charge and did not like this new guys more hand on approach so she left...........and when she did he allowed the members that were on team to go with her and scratched their contracts. i.e. didn't make them pay, he just let them go with her. This makes sense from what all I hear about coaches and gymnasts and loyalty and such. So the mystery of no upper levels at present is solved. He is very interested in building up the upper levels but simply does not have any gymnasts left that can produce the scores needed to advance them. He is working with some of them personally, from what he says. Who knows what is going to happen but yes I got the impression that he is hoping that my daughter becomes one of the gymnasts that brings back the gym and he from whatever obscurity that they have fallen into the last bunch of years with the old owners backing out of the action as much as they did. He apparently has only had this gym for a few years and is still in the building up process.

We talked about what if my daughter decides to drop out, move on, etc..............he said-and I quote "ummm have you spent any time with your daughter?" And honestly he is right, though there is always that possibility and we really do not know at this point there is a change in her with each and every day in the gym. It is like she found home, she is comfortable, confident and driven. Not something she has ever been with anything else at any time in her life which is why I have taken to bribing her in order to get the homework done and the grades up. I don't have to do that with gymnastics she runs in the door from school and wants to know what time gymnastics is going to be and the countdown begins............after the class it is hard to get her off the mat because she always wants to go just one more time and try it again. Maybe she will maybe she wont but anyone that knows her is betting on the fact that she has finally found that nich in life that we all need.

So the question is, am I going to allow this gym and this owner to use my child, along with a few other he has and use them to bring his name and gym back into the game??? I don't know...........I have no idea about such things but this month and maybe part of next is going to be spent observing gyms that are already there and see how I feel after that. I am afraid to ask In the fear of starting more drama (which is not my intention at all) but anyone who wants to give me advice as to what to look for I will make notes before I go. So far I have not made any appointments yet but someone has told me I need to see Texas Twisters and Texas Dreams, I don't know who they are but will look them up

Host family? Absolutely not at this stage in the game, it should not even be on your radar.

Please sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride as so many others have suggested on here. She very well may move through the compulsory levels quickly but please make sure that her form on her skills is not sacrificed in the process of this quick movement. You can achieve this by being at a reputable and safe gym. The progression WILL slow at some point. It is impossible to "take a few tries" and "get" the higher level skills no matter how talented the child is, which is why even the Olympians spend HOURS AND HOURS a day practicing.

The early levels of gymnastics are about fun, excitement, and building a good foundation. It is not necessary to begin thinking about elite, or even college at the stage that you are now in. Some of us who have optional gymnasts and beyond know that there are SO many things that can happen before you get to that point. (Just as I am typing this I am knocking on wood!).

What is fun right now is at some point in the future inevitably going to feel like "work" for your daughter and only time will tell what path this sport will take her.

Lastly, please make sure that gymnastics is always about her goals and dreams. It, like other sports, takes a lot of intrinsic motivation and a ton of sacrifice on her part and yours. She has to want it for herself, no one else.

Ok.

If I were you.

I think this gym and owner seem to have a handle on things and want the best for your dd. So. I'd stick with them a while, let them move her up the levels. Reassess in a year, or two, or when she's 11/12, and decide whether she needs an elite gym.

Thing with big, elite gyms sometimes, is that they have hundreds of talented little kids through their doors. To stand out there, you need to be truly exceptional. And often under 7. Your smaller gym in fact may give your dd more time and attention in the lower levels.

I think it sounds exciting! I'm very happy for Caity that she found her niche, it can make such a huge difference for a kid. My opinion, if she is happy where she's at, and since it's close to home, and since she's in a place where her coaches seem to believe in her, I would stay for a while too. Stay on chalk bucket, ask for advice when needed, and reassess after a year or so as Faith suggested. Keep us updated and best of luck!

Glad you spoke with the owner. I hope the assessment goes well and they decide the plan that is best for her. The highest level she can start competing is level 4. Even that would be a great start for an 8yo, esp. with starting the sport 2 months ago.

Reactions: COz
I just wanted to add, I know plenty of moms who sometimes can't be bothered to get their kid to practice if the weather is bad, they complain about meets that are more than an hour away...I have to applaud Caity's mom for going the extra mile to make sure her kid can follow her dream and go for it 1,000%! She's learning everything she can about the sport and willing to drive hours for an evaluation to make sure she has the best chance of reaching her goal. Over excited? Maybe. We all were in the beginning. Way better than uninterested IMO.

Exciting that you talked to the owner. Keep us posted on the evaluation and if you are able to check out any other gyms. So happy for your DD & I do understand being excited and wanting to know everything you can about this sport. Keep us posted, please!

Reactions: sce
This thread is very long so I may have missed it but can I ask how many hours she is doing and what do they comprise of? She must be mentally and physically very strong to be coping with the high-level skills and the conditioning that goes along with them, especially when she has had no gradual build-up.

This thread is very long so I may have missed it but can I ask how many hours she is doing and what do they comprise of? She must be mentally and physically very strong to be coping with the high-level skills and the conditioning that goes along with them, especially when she has had no gradual build-up.

She is 8 yo and level 2 or 3...

I had seen that, thank you. It was the hours I was interested in.

I'm in the UK and have no understanding about the US systems. I just know that here, any gymnast training with a view to progression will be doing a fair number of hours and a lot of conditioning. Especially once they get to a point where they are working upstarts and casts.

Just so you know, starting a child in gymnastics at 2 or 3 is a waste of money and does not mean she would have progressed quicker. At that age, the classes are nothing more than playtime. Alicia Sacramone started gymnastics at age 8 and competed elite at age 15. If your daughter has real talent she still has a chance. But realize the road to elite is ridiculously hard and uncertain. With only 2 months gymnastics training/experience, even the best coach will have nothing to evaluate. My suggestion is find the best gym that is convenient at the moment. See where it goes from there.

I disagree with there being no value in starting a child so early.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back