Parents Nose bleeds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Akl597

Proud Parent
My two daughters are currently on pre-team at our local gym. Our youngest daughter has been having a lot of nosebleeds lately (sometimes up to multiple times per week). Then my older daughter got one as well. We noticed that they typically happened the day or night of gymnastics practice (usually in the middle of the night or early morning). Then one of the other girls on the team came out of practice with a bloody nose and one of the other moms said it was from the chalk drying out their nose. Has anyone ever heard of this? Are there ways to prevent it?

Nose bleeds are very common in young children. Dry nasal passages are a common cause. Put a cool mist humidifier in their bedrooms and run it every night. Also, encourage the girls to drink lots of water and, um keep their fingers out of there. Dry noses can itch and scratching sensitive areas leads to bleeding.

My gymnast daughter has always gotten lots of nose bleeds. We have been able to greatly reduce (but not eliminate) them by changing the way she is given her asthma inhaler. She takes flovent daily, which is an inhaled steroid, and was using a spacer with a mask that goes over the nose and mouth. We just turned the spacer a bit so now it only covers the mouth, and have her breathe only through her mouth. Really worked. Steroid medications are a well known cause of nosebleeds. Certain nasal sprays given for allergies/stuffy nose can contain steroids also. I realize this is an unlikely cause, just thought it was worth mentioning. Much more likely with little kids is nose picking. And certain kids are more susceptible than others, anatomical variation I presume.

DD gets a ton of nosebleeds, but it has nothing to do with gym. They happen while she's swimming, sleeping, eating, watching TV, etc.
DH used to get a lot too, but he grew out of them.

My dd gets nosebleeds. They usually happen while she is in bed or at the gym. When they happen in bed I think it's because she is bothering her nose in her sleep. At gym I think it's from all the time she spends upside down with more blood pressure in her head. Hers usually clear up in a few minutes and then she is back at it.

If I remember to use saline spray regularly during dry weather it helps a little. But they still happen.

We have the same problem here. I agree with Half-pint in using Saline. I also ordered nose clamps on Amazon that help tremendously. She keeps one in her gym bag, home, & school backpack.

I used to get nosebleeds all the time as a kid, and now my DD seems to be getting them frequently as well. To keep the nose from becoming to dry, especially at a practice filed with chalk, you can put some vaseline or aquaphor on a q-to and swab her nostrils with it.

Thanks everyone for the replies! It does make me feel better that we're not the only ones. I think we're going to attempt a combination of the saline/vaseline/humidifier and see if that helps. Assuming of course they let me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back