Parents Feeling defeated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Glad you found a solution. I would caution that the hc at the current gym may not interpret his/her comments the same way you have. Your dd is not taking rec classes at the other gym. She is training with their team, with the expectation that she will move gyms to compete JO. That's a big difference than just taking a rec class at another gym. Your current hc may in fact be ok with this but that would be a rarity in the gymnastics world. Now, if you are planning on waiting until your relocation before moving her to JO, that may be different in HC eyes. But in general, training in 2 different gyms is a big no-no. Then again, most gyms wouldn't allow a non-team member regularly train with their team, so maybe you just have two really understanding gyms.

We have no plans to switch her competition stream until after we relocate again. I can't see the future, but the plan is to just have her training and ready for a switch, with the extra hours a huge bonus, as she would never get 12 hours in her current Xcel. I suppose either place could go back from their original position, but for now it seems that I have one gym that doesn't much care and one that is super understanding. Other than the cost factor of training at two separate gyms, I feel really lucky to have found the solution I did.

That is an awesome update. Bottom line, she wants to do gymnastics and this solution gives her that. Yeah for Mom advocating and a gym that is understanding.

Because it's not that simple. We have already paid for the season- and that's after we lost money already on the first gym she tried that I found unsafe. Also, the new gym's season is at least half over and she isn't ready to compete any levels- doesn't know any choreography and has never attempted a single compulsory routine. They probably wouldn't take her if she wanted to compete because at this point she would probably make their gym look bad. My DD told her xcel coach tonight and I was completely open with the new gym. For now, both gyms are satisfied and my DD is happy and I don't see a downside.

Because it's not that simple. We have already paid for the season- and that's after we lost money already on the first gym she tried that I found unsafe. Also, the new gym's season is at least half over and she isn't ready to compete any levels- doesn't know any choreography and has never attempted a single compulsory routine. They probably wouldn't take her if she wanted to compete because at this point she would probably make their gym look bad. My DD told her xcel coach tonight and I was completely open with the new gym. For now, both gyms are satisfied and my DD is happy and I don't see a downside.

Well there's a huge downside if the gyms are teaching the same skill differently or the Xcel coach is having her practice with incorrect technique for compulsories, for example. But I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I just didn't understand, and would never in a million years allow, consider, or think of this. I'm glad you're happy, it's just extremely unusual and on the surface doesn't seem to make much sense not to make a clean break.

I agree there are downsides. It's not ideal. Can't be more of a downside than my DD only being able to be in the gym 6 hours a week when she has the drive for more, though. Trust me, I got a string of no also, and I understood every single one of them. I am so glad that there was someone willing to work outside the norm with us. After all, we are here only temporarily, and I have to think two city/states/regions ahead and not get caught up in what other people think is acceptable right now. This has been a really big thing for my DD and she was so happy yesterday to the point of practically tears. I can appreciate that people disapprove of my methods.

Great result!
It's great you have found such understanding and flexible coaches and hope your dd is all ready to jump in properly when you move.

So with the increase she has 12 training hours a week? You are a fantastic mother!!! I really admire you :)

Yup, she will do six and six. We are gonna do a private before she starts at the new gym, to get her acquainted with the coach and gym and correct some bad tumbling habits she has learned. Thank you!

1. . I am so glad that there was someone willing to work outside the norm with us.
2. After all, we are here only temporarily, and I have to think two city/states/regions ahead and not get caught up in what other people think is acceptable right now. .
3. I can appreciate that people disapprove of my methods.

Glad you have found a solution but I think it's not so much that "People disapprove of your methods" as they are shocked something like this could take place...girls have been known to be shown the door at their current gyms if there's even a hint of them looking elsewhere so this really is an outside the box situation...and good for you!

I do think a big part of why people are willing to work outside the norm with you is because of #2, you are only there temporarily . In one of our former gyms we had a lot of military kids who did things a little differently because they were only temporary but the coaches worked with the families to keep them in the sport...

That is so great!! I am so happy for your DD!! Good for you for going out there and advocating for her. I am also very impressed with both gyms. As a Mom who has kiddos at 2 different gyms and 2 different programs I understand that sometimes it takes going the extra mile-literally LOL to meet the needs of our kids. :)

Well there's a huge downside if the gyms are teaching the same skill differently or the Xcel coach is having her practice with incorrect technique for compulsories, for example. But I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I just didn't understand, and would never in a million years allow, consider, or think of this. I'm glad you're happy, it's just extremely unusual and on the surface doesn't seem to make much sense not to make a clean break.
This is better than the alternative... which would have been to try to learn the routines from YouTube and practice them without a coach to assist in Open Gyms. She only needs to do the routines well enough to score out... anything above that is gravy.
If she has the routines down well enough, after her season is over, she can find a mobility meet (with a USAG Professional Member coach to be there with her) and score out. Then when they transfer again, she will be qualified for at least L6, if not L7.
Sometimes, "Outside of the Box" thinking is necessary / required to get us where we want to go!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back