New here, advice on changing clubs please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mum2mills

Proud Parent
Hi I'm new here I have been browsing the forums for a while though :)

My dd is 6 years old and is currently in the squad at our local club. She loves it there and currently trains 3 times a week for about 6-7 hours. She is doing well there and I'd say she is good for her age but obviously as a proud parent I would say that. A lot of people comment on her but as it's a small club she does stand out as she is the youngest girl in the squad by 2 years. I have been looking at other clubs as there are 'bigger' clubs in the West Mids where she could probably do really well, everywhere I look on the internet it's saying they pick the girls really young. But then part of me thinks she really loves it at the smaller club so should I just leave her there? What would you mums do?

Thanks for reading.

In the top right hand corner of this site there is a search box. Have a search for threads mentioning gym change and you'll get an idea about the things that people consider important in a gym and the questions that they will ask you to get an idea about how well your current gym fits your situation.

Before deciding anything else, are you comfortable with the time and money commitment that you'll be heading towards in the future? Just so it doesn't spring out and surprise you :)

Does your current gym cater for higher levels? Is there a ceiling in sight? If so, then change early rather than later.

There's a lot to consider. Just a few thoughts from me,
At the minute she's one of bigger fish in a small pond. One thing to consider about a switch is that she'll be a small fish in a bigger pond!
How well do the older girls do? What level do they compete at? Do they hold their own in the bigger comps or is there an obvious difference.
What level coaches does she have now?
Is she going to gym happy and wanting more? Is it fun for her?
These are the sorts of things id be thinking about.

Are you near the City of Birmingham? If you really think she has what it takes and are prepared for the time commitment I would take her for a trial at a bigger club now rather than later.

Thanks for your replies. Birmingham is about 20 mins from me so not far, the club she is at at the minute has a squad but there are only two older girls who I think do well at competition. My dd has been going for a year and from what I understand there was a dispute just before she joined and a coach left with some of the squad so they have been rebuilding. The coaches are all voluntary, not sure of what level they are at.

She loves gymnastics and loves the training, she worked so hard to get in the squad. She keeps up with the girls and has just mastered a straddle lever handstand and there is only the two older girls that can do that there. She does really love the club and people there though so it's such a hard decision to make.

If you want her to enjoy gym and compete it sounds like her club is just fine.

If you want her to have a shot at the elite pathway then it would be a good idea to look at a club that has some children already on it in the next year. But be ready to move her back to a smaller club if it doesn't suit her. It is not for every child or every family even if the child has the raw talent required. And look carefully at the clubs to see if you feel comfortable with their set up, hours and attitudes. One might fit you better than another.

And be brave enough to talk to your club too. See what they say.

There are two pathways in the uk, Elite and club. If your child has any ambition to reach top levels of this sport she needs to be on the compulsory path by the year she turns 8..

Firstly, find out if your club competes compulsories, or if they have ever had any children on the compulsory pathway. If not, then you will need to find a club that will assess her for that path.

My own opinion is a small club with compulsories is better than a big club with compulsories. Big clubs tend to push to hit the top 6 nationally, I'd prefer slightly lower hours and less pressure through compulsories, then switch after comp 2.

If she's just in it to have fun and compete locally, then just find a club she loves :)

Brilliant thanks for all your advice. I think I'm going to have a chat to her coaches and see what their plan is for her. I can always arrange a trial from there if they can't offer the compulsory pathway.

My DD (aged 7) actually moved from a big competitive club to a smaller competitive club and is much happier for it. From our experience the big club was very pushy with hours from the get go. She was taken into a squad before she'd even started school, and the coaches were very demanding with their expectations of her. They were also VERY quick to get rid of gymnasts who didn't meet their expectations, which made the parents viewing area pretty tense!

Since joining smaller club DD is still on the elite track, but it seems like a much more nurturing environment. Coaches are very approachable and I feel that they are really committed to all the girls there. I would definitely get an assessment at the big clubs around you, but keep your options open..my DD has reached the stage where gymnastics isn't always fun (due to conditioning and general repetitiveness, hard work and long hrs training) and would be completely miserable if she wasn't in a happy, nurturing environment.

I agree with much of what's been said. I'd just add that when you speak to the coach they might give you scare stories about the "harsh environment" at the bigger clubs to put you off. I know lots of people say this about our club.

I'm not from your area so can't comment either way, but if you are considering changing perhaps ask if you can speak to some parents at the new club (or stalk the waiting area whilst she's having a trial). Despite its reputation, our club is actually very friendly and there is a great team spirit.

It's probably also worth looking at a club who has girls on both pathways....so if elite isn't for her there's somewhere to drop to without moving clubs again.

I don't think there are any clubs left that only have elite pathway kids. They couldn't survive without the other kids paying the bills lol.

I don't think anyone can understand about the pressures of the elite pathway unless their child has experienced it. What one parent would call harsh another might call strict. It is a fine line sometimes. You can only look and try to get a feel if their line fits your line. But there is no way of knowing until you jump in.

Birmingham has some really wonderful kids so if you are near definitely worth a look.

I really appreciate all your input. I stayed to watch her session tonight and think I'm just going to keep her where she is for now. She is well settled in the squad and the coaches do seem to bring best out of her and give her confidence. She did back hip circle and squat on the bar tonight on her own which she's really proud of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back