WAG Doc Ali

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I coach 8-9 year old compulsory gymnasts. They can make corrections when I tell them, but the next practice, I feel like I have to correct the same things over and over. This will go on for some time. Then when they get to a meet, most of the corrections go out the window.

I looked into Doc Ali, what programs/books would you suggest for focus?

I find that contests work really well with younger compulsories. For example - with my level 3s I sometimes do contests for each major skill in the floor routine (handstand bridge kick-over, etc) and the person with the LEAST amount of deductions wins a starburst or something. Once we go through all the skills I do a full routine like this...least amount of deductions in the full routine gets 2 starbursts. I find that younger compulsories need a reward system like this every once in awhile since their routines and skills get pretty repetitive...just to keep it fun. Obviously you don't want to get to a point to where they expect the reward/candy...but just doing this a couple of times, I tend to see a big improvement.

Agree with contests, but I don't usually give a reward. I find they want to win, just for the sake of winning. If I do reward it's usually with upgrades or open gym.

What if you reviewed the corrections at the beginning of practice. Then lead into asking them to remember the corrections you talked about the previous day.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I like the idea of reminding them what I am looking for before they do the skill, and through in contests here and there!

I think I will ask Doc Ali too.

My dd is younger than your group, 5, but here is what I've found (and this applies with things at home too- any habit that needs changed). She has a feel for what she is doing, but what she feels she is doing may not actually be what she is doing- if that makes sense. She needs to retrain her habits and it takes constant reminding until it is habit, almost nagging if you will (gently if they are trying) . At the gym she may make a correction, concentrate really hard on it for a few more turns and then slowly loses it. This is where she needs a reminder right away, otherwise she reverts back without realizing it. She's young and so are your gymnasts (normal kids would be lucky to remember to attempt the correction the first time, lol). If my dd is reminded consistently when she STARTS to go back to the old habit, then she will develop a new habit. I believe that with anything with kids (not just at the gym) that they need those gentle reminders to reinforce a behavior or action. She doesn't intentionally go back to bent arms for example, she's getting better at fixing on her own, but when a coach gives up on her and doesn't consistently coach this aspect she doesn't think she's doing it wrong until reminded again. She can't be given a correction, do it for a few turns, lose that correction and have a coach wait 10 more times of a skill to correct. All that did was reinforce the bad habit. Her hc is great and has given me what needs to be watched for in her routines. So when she practices at home (her choice) to remember her routines or work on arms and leg straightness, we can improve it. I've found it we break down a skill and concentrate on just one aspect, ie arms, do it really well 10-20 times in a row (mostly the dancy stuff) it becomes better muscle memory. It may not be as good on her own, but it improves a little each time. I realize it is hard for coaches when they have a group, but i also see (at least some of ours) tell them what to do once but not remind. I've been told by one that the girls try once or twice and then just stop trying and go back to being lazy. NO!, they haven't created the new habit yet... Well, yes for some. I would put money on a lot of the girls believing they are doing it correctly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back