Parents Feel my daughter is being overlooked

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Preteam or Level 3 is where she can work out those form issues. At least in our area, her form won't improve much during rec class (because that's not their focus around here at most gyms). If she wants team, I would have her try out at another gym for preteam or Level 3. Sound like a little more of the run around to me, don't languish there too long if she wants to get on team.

1. her legs may not be the straightest for instance.
2. He apologized for "seeming vague" about where she may end up
.3. He vaguely indicated that she would be a candidate for the club team.
4. He mentioned that some of the advanced girls take two classes a week to speed up their skill knowledge.

Ok I 've read this whole thread and basically have this to offer:

Point #1: not moving her out of rec "because her legs may not be the straightest " is a BS story...she's been in their rec program for a few years , WITH NUMEROUS PRIVATES, so they had ample opportunity to correct this issue..

Point #2: he's remaining "vague" because he has no intention of committing her to his team , and by being "vague" , you can't call him on it..

Point #3: "vaguely indicated she would be a candidate for the club team" ...well everyone who walks through his doors "is a candidate" but I wouldn't waste my time with this side show anymore ..they've seen her for at least 3 years and she hasn't been asked, it's not happening there...

And (my personal favorite) Point #4: some of the "advanced girls take 2 classes a week to speed up their skill knowledge"...this is where he's reeling you in, hook , line and sinker..."she's a candidate, speed up her skill knowledge" ...unwritten in this is "parent spends oodles of money and STILL is in rec" ... this is his ploy to keep you dumping money into his gym, and with his vague comments, this could go on for a few more years...

Bottom line: she has been pegged as a rec gymnast (and there's nothing wrong with that) but if her/your goals are a team program, cut your losses and move to a gym that will put her on some sort of team (JO, Xcel, preteam , AAU etc) but get out now because you're just wasting your money...

I felt like my younger gymnast was being a bit overlooked at our old gym. She was 5 and doing many Level 3 and Level 4 skills and she was/is super strong and flexible. In her pre-team group, the difference in maturity between the others and her was huge. She is just really mature and poised for her age. She was very frustrated with the whole environment and with how little she was being challenged. She came home from practice saying how easy it was all of the time. I saw girls with a lot less skills than her move up to Level 3. I think that a lot of these decisions are based on whatever feeling a coach has about a particular gymnast and not so much about anything more. And sometimes they are wrong, especially if the gym isn't great at spotting talent. There were many rec girls who I would point out to my older daughter's team coaches and say, "that girl does not belong in rec!" and they would say, "oh. hmm. let me go take a look at her". Not so shockingly, this gym really doesn't produce that much exceptional talent. The plan was for my daughter to do another year of pre-team, which just seemed like such a waste of time because she was clearly ready for more. We ended up switching gyms for a different reason (to a gym that has a strong history of producing pretty amazing gymnasts) and she was put right onto Level 3. Anyway. If your daughter has the maturity, strength, flexibility, desire, focus, and teach-ability - then they can teach the skills and fix straight legs. Or someone else can. :)

I will also add that at both that gym and our new one, 7 would be almost on the cusp of being "too old"... not for team, but for pre-team. I have seen a few girls go from advanced rec classes to team (rare, but it happens.. and our gym does do an open try-out for team each year).. but there is no actual pre-team class that has girls over the age of 7, I believe. There are two pre-team classes at our current gym, one for 3-4 year olds and one for 5-6 year olds. There is one "special" advanced rec class that is invite-only for 6-7 year olds, and I believe that is geared toward "late-starters" with possible team potential, but it's still not considered pre-team. I think that some girls may stay an extra year in the 5-6 year old pre-team class if they're not ready, but beyond that they typically quit or switch to rec or tumbling or Xcel. As far as privates go, team girls can't do them at our gym. If a gymnast in an advanced rec class really wants to get on team, privates would be a great opportunity to have intensive one-on-one time to focus on those specific skills. Our gym also has clinics for specific skills for this purpose.

Ok I 've read this whole thread and basically have this to offer:

Point #1: not moving her out of rec "because her legs may not be the straightest " is a BS story...she's been in their rec program for a few years , WITH NUMEROUS PRIVATES, so they had ample opportunity to correct this issue..

Point #2: he's remaining "vague" because he has no intention of committing her to his team , and by being "vague" , you can't call him on it..

Point #3: "vaguely indicated she would be a candidate for the club team" ...well everyone who walks through his doors "is a candidate" but I wouldn't waste my time with this side show anymore ..they've seen her for at least 3 years and she hasn't been asked, it's not happening there...

And (my personal favorite) Point #4: some of the "advanced girls take 2 classes a week to speed up their skill knowledge"...this is where he's reeling you in, hook , line and sinker..."she's a candidate, speed up her skill knowledge" ...unwritten in this is "parent spends oodles of money and STILL is in rec" ... this is his ploy to keep you dumping money into his gym, and with his vague comments, this could go on for a few more years...

Bottom line: she has been pegged as a rec gymnast (and there's nothing wrong with that) but if her/your goals are a team program, cut your losses and move to a gym that will put her on some sort of team (JO, Xcel, preteam , AAU etc) but get out now because you're just wasting your money...

Some really great points. Maybe a trial at another gym is in order. At least you would have some peace of mind of another gym had the same assessment.

This post had my ears burning because it feels a little like my DD's situation. She's on preteam and I had the "is she on the right track to make team" conversation with the coach. They have the option of doing 1 or 2 preteam practices per week. She has always,done 2, which is more $$. The coach said to stick with that, but it still feels a little vague considering their first team level is xcel bronze. It's frustrating - I don't want to be that parent who is hard to work with, so I keep a low profile & stay positive and not ask too many questions. I just want to know if there is something more I should be doing (put her in ballet, extra tumbling, privates, etc) to give her opportunities to improve & make the team. I did not make myself feel better when I watched bronze routines on YouTube since they ran the gamut of not great form/looked like they were there just for fun all the way too some super poised & talented little ones who showed huge potential. She is on par with some of these kids, so I don't understand the lack of progression. I'm probably impatient though and should avoid gym entirely. Anyway, just sharing because I get it. I hope you find a good fit & she gets the opportunity to compete soon.

While I agree with pretty much everything in Bookworms post, I will throw an unpopular opinion out there....
When the coach said "she's not ready yet" that could be exactly what he means. :) He said she needed work on her form. It doesn't really matter how long a kid has been in gymnastics, some kids can come in off the street and be practically ready for pre-team and some can spend years in rec and never be team material. Just the hard truth of it.
I would (if finances allow it) let her do the two rec classes/wk for a while and see what the HC says in 5wks. At this point, you are either in the actual season already or heading into it. Another 5 wks would leave you no worse off as far as entering a program, because for most gyms the ship for this year's season has sailed regardless (hope that made sense). We do the spring season and do not accept any new competing kids (with perhaps the exception of someone already competing and moving to our area) after August. Any later than that, and you go in our pre-team, with the potential to go straight into L4 IF you have the necessary skills by spring next year.

Now, as a coach, I do actively scout the advanced rec classes for kids to move to either pre-team or team. We have two different tracks at our gym, the older, advanced rec kids with potential go into pre-team/L3 working group, the younger kids with potential go into our separate fast track group where we work much more conditioning and form. The kids going through that program tend to go straight into L4 when they are old enough. Not all, some go to L3. At 7 a kid isn't too old to join the pre-team/L3 group at all, we have kids up to 11 in it... But she would be on the cusp of being too old for the fast track group, it would entirely depend on where her form and skills were at.

I evaluate kids all the time for our pre-team programs and I'm always honest with parents when I tell them "she's not ready yet". For some, I can give them specific things I want to see improvement in, with a time frame (usually 3-6mo), and with the sincere suggestion that they come see me again in said time frame.
Others I simply tell they need to work more on their strength and skills and to remain in rec for the time being. I will take candid looks at those kids again, but not for some time (probably in the 6mo range) and if they haven't improved to where we need them to be, I don't suggest to the parents that they try out again.

If she was ready for preteam previously then how could she not be now- are her private lessons and classes actually setting her back? I smell something fishy with this gym. Something just doesn't add up. I would consider an evaluation elsewhere, or accept they may not ever switch your DD to team. I think everyone with the drive should get the chance to compete, and form can be worked on more in team practices than rec classes.

When the coach said "she's not ready yet" that could be exactly what he means. He said she needed work on her form.

There seems to be a lot of variability in what gyms consider "acceptable form." Judging from what I have read/heard/seen, other gyms place kids on team at level 3 or 4 with less than stellar form. So, guess it depends on how competitive this gym is. I think the "form" excuse is too vague personally. I think you have nothing to lose by looking at other options. You can always choose to stay at the current gym and up her rec classes.

She's been doing private lessons for months and her form isn't up to snuff for preteam??? At the very least you are wasting your money on those! I'm guessing in the end you are going to need a new gym, but since its mid- to late- season now, it won't hurt anything to jump to 2 recs a week while you look around for options. Find out when the season ends in your area and be ready to ask for evaluation at a new gym very shortly after that.

She's been doing private lessons for months and her form isn't up to snuff for preteam???

This was my thought, but I'm guessing they have been focusing on just acquiring skills, and not really technique and form in privates. If I'm wrong here, then yes, there is definitely something amiss!

In any case, I second everyone who says to go get her evaluated at one more more other gyms NOW. Yes, it's comp season, but I think most gyms will still do an eval and tell you when they would be able to get in her, and in what class/level.

This is the problem to me:
- Coach says she's "not ready", and mentioning FORM and TECHNIQUE issues as reasons (not specific skills she is missing, for example)
- Coach instructs to ADD MORE REC - which does NOT focus on improving the very things she is missing! :eek::confused:o_O

This does not compute. Time to look elsewhere.

This was my dd at age 7. Since 4 yrs old I was getting fed nuggets of vague preteam or team statements, at 6 yrs old I let her do two rec classes in an effort to feed her want for more. When she was 7, some of her peers were chosen for preteam, she was not. They told me they wanted her for the next year. I never found out if they meant it because I took her to another gym before her spirit got completely crushed (I could see it happening). New gym immediately put her on preteam and the next year she competed against her peers from old gym. She had the tricks, but was not one of those kids with naturally pointed toes and straight legs. They didn't work on that in rec. She needed to be stopped and shown, which is what they did for her on preteam. And yes, I thought "should have moved her sooner". Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Number one regret of kids and parents who had to switch gyms to get a chance at team:

That they didn't move sooner.

Absolutely, positively, 10000%.

That said, if her form isn't "up to snuff," how is she supposed to get it there? Isn't that what they teach for beginner team? When my DD transferred (yes, too late), she had poor form because her previous gym was noncompetitive, but that's what they taught her on team!

Also, if 7 is "too old for team," find another gym. That's crap.

As soon as I quit privates my daughter made team....... It is like they suck every dollar out of you til you give up......... IMO..... Love my gym do not get me wrong but....... Your daughter sounds ready for team........ Keep pushing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back