WAG How far should you travel for a gymnastics meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

theworldgymnast

Hi all,

I was wondering how far you would consider "too far" to travel to a gymnastics meet. My DD's coach is hoping to enter some of her team to a gymnastics meet in New York.

The thing is that my DD's gym is in SoCal and a flight from LAX to JFK will be expensive and long (around 5 hours I think...) because it is pretty much from coast to coast.

Is this too far? and is it worth the travel???

We are in the middle of the country so it is a bit easier. We have gone to Florida, Stanford, Ohio, Texas, Minnesota. Our girls have gone to cancun and new york in addition to that.

I think what is too far is up to you as the parent. Our gymnasts do not have to do the travel meets.

Sounds like an ideal location and some amazing places you've been too! Thanks for the idea.

We are in CA and travelled to AZ for regionals for Xcel. While it doesn't sound far, it's 14 hours by car and air travel isn't cheap. We ONLY did it because it was regionals and we knew she was moving to JO and Regionals wasn't an option until optionals - we wanted her to have the experience.

That said, apparently Xcel will be doing a Las Vegas meet this year, and I honestly think it's ridiculous. The XCel team is supposed to be a less intense, less expensive option for kids and travelling that far negates that whole concept. I'm irritated enough we have a JO level 3 meet 3+ hours away, but that's because we have options within 30 min driving distance and aren't doing those meets.

I think it depends on the level and the rationale.

Wow! Our compulsories haven't gone further than about 4 hours for us, usually 2-3. Optionals go to FL, but since we're not there yet, I haven't calculated exactly how far that is.

We are in CA and travelled to AZ for regionals for Xcel. While it doesn't sound far, it's 14 hours by car and air travel isn't cheap. We ONLY did it because it was regionals and we knew she was moving to JO and Regionals wasn't an option until optionals - we wanted her to have the experience.

That said, apparently Xcel will be doing a Las Vegas meet this year, and I honestly think it's ridiculous. The XCel team is supposed to be a less intense, less expensive option for kids and travelling that far negates that whole concept. I'm irritated enough we have a JO level 3 meet 3+ hours away, but that's because we have options within 30 min driving distance and aren't doing those meets.

I think it depends on the level and the rationale.

Yes, we've been to AZ twice now. It was a long car journey but she placed well at a big invitational in Phoenix. Thanks for your ideas!

My dd is level 3. The furthest we have to travel is about 3 hours by car. We have an optional meet about 5 hours away which we will probably do, weather permitting. There is also a fly away meet that is optional, but since she is only level 3, we will not be doing that. Plenty of time to "fly away" later.

What level is your DD? My willingness to travel really depended upon my DD's level. When she was a compulsory (old level 4 - around age 9), I passed on a trip to Las Vegas for a meet. We went to Disneyland for a family trip instead. When she was a 2nd year (old) level 5, we started travelling, but they were never really far away - Idaho, Reno, Arizona, California. We are in the NW, so those trips weren't too bad. If my DD would have kept competing past level 8, I would have been ok with more extensive travel to see other competition and judging. New York could be fun if your DD is in a position to do well at the meet and she is a reasonably high level. I would not go that far for any compulsory level and probably not lower level optionals (6-7).

Depends on the level and the meet. If she is a lower level or it is a smallish meet then no. If she is an upper level optional and it is a large meet with lots of good competition then it makes more sense.

Hey guys, all of you asking what level she is at, she will be competing Level 8 during the 2015 season so she is making her way up the levels and travelling to the meet would be beneficial. I think the meet is the Manhattan Classic?

Our old gym traveled from SoCal to Florida to compete regularly, for nationals (usaigc) and will be going to London for a meet in 2015. The farthest we have personally gone was a 7 hr drive to xcel regionals in AZ last season. This season, our new gym keeps xcel meets semi close to home. Farthest regular meet is 3 hours away, then states are 3.5 and regionals are 6.5 hrs. I don't plan on flying to meets, so these are in drive time. Last year a couple of girls did fly to AZ for regionals though.

Oh wow, well, if we do get the chance to go, hopefully see you there!

I won't be there, just the girls are going. Boys will be somewhere else.

I woudl say at her level, it could be beneficial, but not necessary. Our 7-10 are all going, and it is a long day to get there. I think it boils down to a family choice on what you are willing to do with the travel.

For me it depended on the level and how big the meet is. We didn't do any fly away meets until DD was a level 5 (old) and that was to a big meet in Las Vegas. We drove the first year and fly now. It is short flight and fairly inexpensive from here. Now that DD is a level 7 we are expanding our meets to Phoenix and the region 2 l7 invitational in Seatle. We did decide to cancel the National Judge's cup because it was just too far and too expensive for us to get to.

Hey guys, all of you asking what level she is at, she will be competing Level 8 during the 2015 season so she is making her way up the levels and travelling to the meet would be beneficial. I think the meet is the Manhattan Classic?
I would seriously consider it since she is heading toward upper levels and I know Dd's coaches like the girls to get exposure to travel and big meets. My dds gym has been to that meet and it had some really good gyms there. Plus it was very exciting to be in NYC . It is a big commitment, what does the coach say?. At my Dds gym it's just about mandatory

Level 8 would be the earliest I would consider that long of a trip to a meet. If you can swing it, I would say go ahead, especially if your DD has hopes of competing higher level optionals and possibly college. It's a way to get acquainted with traveling and competing and will prepare her for regionals (I am assuming you will have to travel a ways for Regionals unless you are lucky and they are close by).

Sure, whats an extra hour or two sitting on a plan. Sounds like a great trip!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back