WAG 6 year old can't remember beam routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CoachMeg

Coach
Last year I coached the level 3s and they did really really well...3 state champions and top 10 for team! Their were 9 girls in the group and their ages ranged from 7-12 (only one 7 year old). This year I have 14 level 3s.....14!! And their all so much younger. Within that group I have three 6 year olds and five 7 year olds. My oldest is 10. While the 9 and 10 year olds this year understand the routines really well....I'm having some trouble with the 6 year olds. One girl in particular.

This particular 6 year old is very talented but CANNOT for the life of her remember her beam routine. I've had several privates with her and am constantly working with her...she'll remember it when we do parts but as soon as she does an entire routine, or worse, does it in front of a group...she completely forgets.

Our first meet is NEXT weekend and I'm really starting to worry. All the other 6 year olds will do fine, but I really don't know what to do at this point. She has so much potential to score high but she cannot remember this routine. Every other event she's fine and can remember the routine (even floor!!). We've also been working on routines for about 2 months.

Have any of you coaches had a gymnast forget their routine at a meet and if so what happened?

That's very common. We just completed a mock meet and one level three forgot her floor routine. It was right after the handstand bridge kick over, that she stood there almost until the music was over but then she remembered and finished the whole routine. She still got a 7.15. I think this will probably be the event that makes your gymnast very nervous. Seems like she has an issue performing that event with large crowds/ groups. She will need more time to get use to doing the whole routine In front of larger groups. Kids are resilient she will pull through.Good luck!

yes, and it's normal. and don't be concerned about the rules if it's important for you to get her thru the routine. just tell her what to do. and remind her that score don't matter when your 6. only when your 16.

Can she work on it at home on the floor? Just the moves, could you give her mom the routine so she could
Help her? Or she could watch it on YouTube my DD did that all the time.

Reactions: sce
My 6 yo L3 definitely struggled more than the older girls in remembering routines. This year she actually picked them up a little faster, last year as a L2 it took a little longer. She hasn't forgotten them in a meet though, once she's got it, she's got it. You may find your little ones are the same way! Good luck to her, and I agree with having mom show her a couple videos and help her practice at home on just the little things. It will help her confidence if she knows she knows it (the girl, not the mom!).

My YG forgot part of her beam routine in a mock meet in September and she is going on 10 (Xcel Gold... forgot her cartwheel which meant no acro credit at all... and forgot what dismount she was supposed to do). She had ONLY had this routine for 3 months, lol.
When she was Old L4 (and again in New L3), she forgot things. In Old L4... floor first meet, forgot the handstand bridge kickover... went straight to the run, run, leap. On beam, she forgot to do her jumps.
In L3 last season, she forgot the 2 pivot turns.

Another mom of a kid who forgot part of her routine. It was her first meet as an optional and she got toward the end of her floor routine, forgot a required element, substituted it with something silly, forgot some dancey dancey stuff and then held her pose for about five LONG seconds at the end while her music played on. And she was 9!

At 6, I was just hoping she remembered to bring a leo to gym!

My daughter watches routines on youtube. It helps her feel confident that she knows which moves go along with which part of the music. At practice, they don't always practice with the music, so this helps her memory of what comes when.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back