WAG Just curious, event coaches or level coaches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does your gym have coaches that coach a specific event, and the girls rotate, or is there a designated coach for each level? If you have a coach per level, does the coach follow the group as they move up the levels or does the coach stay at that level and get a new group each year? If you've experienced different systems, which do you think works best and why?
Just some research for my future gym. Thanks!

Depends on the level. Our compulsories usually have 2 coaches (each coach coaches 2 events). Our optionals have event coaches. I don't have a preference either way as a parent.

At my dds gym the compulsories have a coach per event, they generally just rotate with a group of kids that is the same level, and when they move up they just move up with that level group of kids. Optionals has 3 coaches (about 15 optionals in total) they each have there coach and they rotate to all 4 events with that coach. Once they level up they still stay with that coach and group or may switch to one of the other 2 coaches, just depends on the situation ( all 3 coaches are capable f coaching levels 1-10). Having experienced both, I think it really depends in the kid, my oldest dd is very one coach only, where as my youngest dd is very go with the flow, anyone can spot me kind of kid

At our gym, we have 4 young coaches that work with L3... we have 2-3 that work with L4/L6... and we have 2-3 that work with Optionals. There are girls that get spotted by specific coaches no matter what event they are on. There are other girls that can be spotted by anyone capable of spotting.

Sometimes, we leave a coach at an event and the girls rotate, but then the specific spotting coaches are called over as needed.

I agree that it depends on the gymnast. OG can only be spotted by 2 of the coaches (Both have been there since before she started). YG can be spotted by anyone (with the exception of 1 coach that tends to forget to spot the landing on back tucks).

We have 2 female coaches and 2 male coaches at our gym. The females coach floor and beam (1 compulsory beam/floor coach and 1 optional beam/floor coach) and the men coach bars and vault (again, 1 compulsory coach and 1 optional coach).

In my opinion this system works really well. The only downside for me is that since I'm the compulsory beam/floor coach, I won't get to work with some of my girls once they move up to optional. Which is going to be really hard next year because I've gotten so attached to them! :(

In Australia most gyms have levels coaches. Very few gyms have the luxury of having enough higher level coaches to do event coaching.

One head coach for all the levels (5-10). He coaches all events except beam and dance elements. One beam coach for all levels as well. We have assistant coaches (1-2) that help the coaches. Practices for levels are all different so the HC is working with small groups at a time (4-8 girls).

Very few gyms have the luxury of having enough higher level coaches to do event coaching.

+1.

BarCoach; We both event coach and level coach. Several groups switch back and forth for different reasons. EX: L6-7 coach and L8-9 coach stay on events and switch groups back and forth 2 days a week. At the moment it is to assist with training of coach and introduce the athletes to a different "coach voice." The workouts are planned ahead of time. Having different coaches, in our, situation, will assist when we travel to bigger meet venues this year and may face (high probability) the probability of having two groups competing at the same time. Groups are assigned a "Coach." That person is the voice and takes responsibility of the group. They are the first point of contact for a parent or gym owner.

Aussie-coach voices a challenge that we feel in our gym. Until recently our small gym had 3 coaches for a USA-G L3-9 team. Over the past years we have grown larger and our staff has expanded (thankfully). Total and complete knowledge on an event is desirable (L3-10). While the coaches are seeking this, they receive assignments that they can deliver well.

I hope this assist. Best to you in working towards starting a new gym. Heavy work, but rewarding. SBG -

I won't be starting a gym for at least a few years, until my own kids are a little older, but wanted to get a sense for the best way to do things. Sounds like there is no best way.
Most of the gyms I've worked at have had event coaches. Where I'm at now the coaches stay with a group. I do like this way because I feel like I really get to know the girls and get to train them exactly as I want. But we've had a few girls in other groups quit due to personality differences with the coach. I can't help but wonder if those girls would still be here if we had had event coaches.

At my JO club we had 4 coaches. Two head coaches and 2 assistance coaches. Because we only had 2 rotation groups the HC were event coaches (bars and vault, and beam and floor) and the assistant coaches would each help an event coach when they were there.

At my gym prior to that one where there were many more groups we kinda had level coaches, they'd flow between a couple levels and tend to coach certain events. The one distinction we pretty much always had was optional vs. compulsory coaches. The only time a compulsory coach coached my optional group was because our optional coach couldn't be there. Lots of those times HC (the same HC as the other gym actually funny enough) would call a sub coach in that didn't teach anymore, but used to be an optional coach.

We are at a smaller gym, there are 4 coaches total for pre-team - level 10. From an outside (parent) perspective, it seems like they are still trying to figure out what works best, since the team has grown pretty steadily over the past two years. During the summer DD had one coach that worked with her at all events. Now that we're into fall, I have seen 3 of the 4 coaches work with her, but not always on the same events and not always every practice. The 4th may work with her, but I have only seen her working with the level 7-8 optionals and with xcel.

How does it work going to meets if you have event coaches? I guess you have to send someone who does each event to the meet?

Event coaching for the girls, but more fluid for the boys. As for meets, yes, if you do event coaching you'll likely need more coaches at meets, especially for your optionals. When the girls are compulsories, they can compete with maybe two coaches or if it's a big meet, three. But once they are optionals, they do not vault without the vault coach. He refuses to trust anyone else to do the setup the way he wants it done, to watch them in warmups and be sure they are ready to compete their highest value vault, and in the worst case scenario, to pluck them out of the air if something goes wrong. At one meet last year, by several independent accounts, he saved one girl from a potentially devastating crash by catching her as she was flipping badly. Likewise, I don't think that the two owners, who coach bars, would trust anyone but themselves to set the bars for their L8+ girls. None of these guys have much to do with beam, so for the optionals, it's a minimum of three coaches.

Girls: We have event coaches, but it's not 1 to 1 - some coach more than 1 event. Multiple coaches do travel to meets, for both compulsories and optionals. Some coaches are optionals only, some compulsory only, and some do both.

Boys: same coaches coach all events and levels and go to meets. Coaches aren't specific to compulsories or optionals. Guessing this is because it's harder to find and retain boys team coaches, so they want them capable of teaching anyone on anything (?)....

Both,my coaches are the owners and one does beam and floor the other bats and vault but my coaches are different from the level 2 coaches

At our gym there are only five coaches all together. One for preteam, one for levels 2-3 and then two that teach 4-6 not sure how they split them up, and the HC coaches all the girls 7-10 there are only 4 of them.

We event coach at our gym. 1 main coach for each event. Some of the younger groups (level 2/preteam) have other coaches depending on the schedule.

How does it work going to meets if you have event coaches? I guess you have to send someone who does each event to the meet?
My daughter - level 3 - has two coaches who each coach two events. Both coaches go to meets with the teams they coach level 2 - 5. We love this system!

Last season my daughter's team had one coach that coached all events. the gym changed that this year to two coaches that each coach two events - this system is preferred to us as we now have the BEST vault/bar coach AND the best floor/beam coach! Scores this year are showing a difference as well :) Both coaches attend all meets and coach for their events. Because my kiddo is the youngest, at meets, she often has BOTH coaches to herself -- she enjoys all the attention:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back