MAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

cttay217

Proud Parent
DS is very excited to be getting his first pair of HB grips! Coach has recommended 501 Blues with buckles. However, DS is insisting that he wants velcro. What is the real difference between the buckle and velcro? What have your boys used (he is just a L5)? I can see that velcro may be easier to adjust, but may also slip more. Curious to get everyone thoughts between the two.

velcro is easier for them to put on by themselves but will loosen and need to be retightened. Buckles are initially more difficult to put on, but don't loosen with use.

D uses velcro for now, but I think next time we willbuy buckles. He 12 (level 8)

Reactions: sce
Ds has Velcro. Has had them for the past 1.5 years since he started wearing grips. He would like buckle now, but the ones he wears don't come in size 0.

I started out using velcro grips, but they quickly got worn out (with pit fuzz when working new skills into pits and they would loosen after every turn). I loved my buckle grips, they never loosened and I only had to get new ones when the leather got too worn down on them.

real gymnasts don't use velcro. they are loose all the time. single or double buckle stays in place. and US Glove are the best grips.

to everyone else, US Glove also makes Jim Hartung's "Bulldog" grips and also makes "Nastia's" grips. US Glove is the best grip manufacturer.

for those who keep bringing up Gimmnasta. they pre-stretch their grips. this is why they fit better when you first get them. but they wear out faster because they are pre-stretched. AND the leather is never consistent. they (US Glove) has to scrutinize the leather they choose to make the grips. pre-stretching is a BAD idea.

best is to fit the grips as close to what you need, and maybe just a shy size smaller to where you can't open the hands. then you break them in which will cause them to stretch to a position that fits the hands the best.

and again as i have posted before, the best way to break in any grips is to swing giants on a mens steel bar. that's all. :)

I think it is more of a personal preference. I have used both kinds. Velcro are definitely easier to deal with and put on but buckles are much more sturdy and will probably last longer. To me, they both work just the same.

I use Gimmnasta double buckle because I like the more narrow strip of leather. I like to have some hand on the bar. Wondering which US Glove product might work best for me?

US Glove double buckle.

Wish I had of seen this an hour ago. Just ordered two pair for my little. Her reisport are slipping and I was hoping these would be comparable.
for those who keep bringing up Gimmnasta. they pre-stretch their grips. this is why they fit better when you first get them. but they wear out faster because they are pre-stretched. AND the leather is never consistent. they (US Glove) has to scrutinize the leather they choose to make the grips. pre-stretching is a BAD idea.:)

Thanks for the response. However I see no 'plain' option in double buckle. Only RKO or hot shot. What is the difference?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back