WAG How far should you travel for a gymnastics meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are going to the Manhattan Classic! We are in New England, though, so it is doable. We opted not to travel to San Diego last year.
It's exciting and getting a new Leo is always fun for the gymmies :). Mine still has here from 3 years ago.

When you live in Hawai'i, any off island meet is at least a 4 hour plane ride so we do travel pretty far for meets.

When we came to Maui for spring break, my daughter did a lesson with a coach (she had a meet as soon as we came back, and needed a little help - And it was also fun :) ), I was talking with a mom there, and realized how limited meets are there, without a plane ride. :(

We are in Columbus, Ohio. This season my L8 DD will compete in The Bahamas, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, Cincinnati (twice), and Sandusky, Ohio. My wife and kids are making a week vacation of the Bahamas trip. Unfortunately, I don't get to go but I am sure they won't miss me too much. Girls don't have to attend all these meets but it seems to me that you can expect the higher levels to travel farther (or more often) than the lower levels.

Hey guys, all of you asking what level she is at, she will be competing Level 8 during the 2015 season so she is making her way up the levels and travelling to the meet would be beneficial. I think the meet is the Manhattan Classic?
We've done the Manhattan Classic for years. Well run meet and gives the girls a 'big' meet experience. They run 4 sessions at once in a large old pier location (now event space).
My daughter is Level 9 but has gone since Level 5. It's only a 4 hour drive for us, which is about the furthest I'd drive for a meet. We do one other 'big' travel meet a year (i.e.: plane travel necessary!) and this one is optional.
The fun of the NY meet is that you can make it a family weekend and enjoy all the city has to offer. If I were traveling by car for 4 hours to the middle of nowhere, I'd be less inclined to go. But that's just because we are used to living in an area where meet travel is never more than 1 hour!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back