WAG elbow dislocation: any experiences, recommendations, advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

after her second cast came off, we started with physio and they worked her through a lot of exercises for basic rang of motion range of motion and basic arm movements,most if it was physio exercises though ,eventually they had her doing push ups, handstands ,cartwheels and basic, almost kinder gym level, workouts at the gym, as well as a lot of dance.It took her a while to get used to putting weight in that arm again as she was scared it would hurt or as she would say "break again". she only started actually tumbling a around the last week of sept, and she started on the trampoline, because it had barely any weight baring on her arm, once physio said it was ok she started on tumble track, just this past week we got ok to minimal tumbling on floor, pretty much level 1 and 2 skills. One thing that's really helps us is her physio therapist is a former gymnast and know a lot about the sport, so she know really what works and what doesn't. Bars has been the hardest as she really only been aloud on to do physio and conditioning, until about a month ago..

Now this is one hopeful experience to think about! Thanks for sharing your daughter's story, aksaunders! :) At what point after her injury did your daughter start loading the joint?
If by loading you mean bearing weight, it was at the end of this 6-7 week period. She was back in the gym after a week for conditioning though. When she was finished with the sling, her coaches did not allow her to do anything explosive that used her arms like vaulting for a few more weeks I think and if I remember correctly, the first time that she did anything challenging was TOPs testing.

I dislocated my elbow earlier this year! Obviously painful, praying for a speedy recovery!
This is my experience..
I peeled off the UB from doing a free hip circle. Posted my arm out and the two bones that make up the elbow completely disconnected. Went to the ER and they popped it in
I was in a splint for about 2 weeks. It was like a styrofoam arm supporter for my whole arm, and was all wrapped up.
Once I got the splint off, my arm felt very weak! No pain, just a bit stiff. The hardest part about getting the splint off was not being able to move my arm! My arm was stuck in a almost a 90 degree angle. This didn't hurt, it was just annoying. After starting physical therapy, my arm did become straight again.
The recovery process is not hard, I thought it was very quick and easy. As long as your DD does her exercises that the PT will give we for home, she will see improvement quickly.
When I started gymnastics again, I didn't feel much pain/ have many issues. I recommend an elbow brace for extra support.
Overall it was an easier recovery. The toughest part is being in the splint/cast! Best wishes!

My dd fractured her elbow and was out for 8 weeks. 2 weeks in a big cast then followed by a sling. The recovery has had its ups and downs but in the last 4 weeks she has regained a lot of her skills, bars is still very weak. But she will be ready to compete this January. She will repeat level 8 due to this injury and two others with started in February. ( fractured hand - out 6 weeks in cast), then in. June had surgery( appendix) then at the end of July fractured elbow... She will be back and is as excited about gymnastics as ever..( she is 11)

Best wishes to you also, Hannahmariee! My daughter read your post, and is very encouraged by your experience. Your injuries sound very similar- same piece of equipment, same mechanism of injury. She doesn't feel so alone. (-: Thanks for the encouragement, especially how the rehab really did help you. I think that will give her something to think about when she feels discouraged about the pace of recovery.

We have ordered a small brace that is lightweight, with metal hinged supports on both inside and outsides, for support. Do you have a brace that you like to use?

Wishing you all the best!

My dd fractured her elbow and was out for 8 weeks. 2 weeks in a big cast then followed by a sling. The recovery has had its ups and downs but in the last 4 weeks she has regained a lot of her skills, bars is still very weak. But she will be ready to compete this January. She will repeat level 8 due to this injury and two others with started in February. ( fractured hand - out 6 weeks in cast), then in. June had surgery( appendix) then at the end of July fractured elbow... She will be back and is as excited about gymnastics as ever..( she is 11)
Oh Dka- what a year your daughter (and you!) have had! I am very happy to hear that she can compete this season, in spite of this year's injuries and the appendix. I appreciate hearing about the amount of time it has been taking her to regain her skills. Not only does that give my daughter some idea of what she might expect, but also helps in our in trying to predict what my daughter might be able to do this competition season, (also starting in January) and possibly when.

Thanks so much for sharing your daughter's story. I hope her recovery continues smoothly, and that she has a great season! (-:

feel free to message me for specifics... Bars have taken a big hit( 2 hand/ arm injuries will do that) she should have her yurchenko tuck by January( did not even have it during level 8 last year- did tsuk and handsprings) she has her level 8 beam routine from last year back and on floor can do a double full???? she can do a double full, but still cant get a clear hip( but has giants and cast handstands... its crazy!!!- Bars was always a strength for her too!!) she went from old level 6 to new level 8 last season! she is disappointed having to repeat level 8 despite getting pretty good scores, but we ( the coach me and my dd) know its for the best!

she can do a double full, but still cant get a clear hip( but has giants and cast handstands... its crazy!!!

I'll be prepared for possible head-scratchers like this.. Why do you think this might be? Was she injured while doing a clear hip, maybe? Does the shifting hurt her hand? (but then she can do giants...)

.. It's strange she actually injured it tumbling. She told me yesterday that after her appendix clearance and the elbow( 3 1/2 weeks) she was struggling getting it back to handstand, the coach told her they would start working on it next week. She has been back now for a month...it amazes me how they can do one skill and struggle with another right?? She is also finally going to flip her yurchenko next week.... We will see

.. It's strange she actually injured it tumbling. She told me yesterday that after her appendix clearance and the elbow( 3 1/2 weeks) she was struggling getting it back to handstand, the coach told her they would start working on it next week. She has been back now for a month...it amazes me how they can do one skill and struggle with another right?? She is also finally going to flip her yurchenko next week.... We will see

Could it be a elbow strength issue then, maybe? I've never tumbled myself, but maybe the propulsion and momentum of tumbling is just a different use of the elbow than the push and pull of bar work. Is her elbow able to fully extend straight for bars?

She can extend it straight and started working the clear hip on Saturday.. She got it to about the old level 6 height, so it's getting better... She does not compete until January

When I started gymnastics again, I didn't feel much pain/ have many issues. I recommend an elbow brace for extra support.
Overall it was an easier recovery. The toughest part is being in the splint/cast! Best wishes!
HannaMariee00, and others (coaches, parents, gymnasts) is there a particular brace you like to wear for practice/meets after elbow dislocation? Just looking down the road....thanks!

This is the brace (or something very similar) that has been recommended to us by 2 health professionals. It seems quite heavy and bulky to me.
http://www.amazon.com/DonJoy-XAct-P...8&sr=8-4&keywords=don+joy+elbow+support+brace

Any thoughts, experiences with something like this? Any other alternatives that have worked for you? Many thanks!

Oh good Lord, no. I mean, yes, that was what dd wore during her rehab, but once she was back to full mobility, she used a much smaller brace. Like this, only in skin tone:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermsokin-Hi...8&qid=1413918053&sr=8-22&keywords=elbow+brace It fit under her leo and wasn't very noticeable.

That said, at her recent follow up appointment (a year post injury), the Dr. said he doesn't want her to use a brace at all. He said it may make her muscles weaker in that arm, and he doesn't like the possibility of metal rubbing on the bone. So we are weaning her off it. (It's more mental than physical).

Thanks, Tbrov! Good to know! I do have that one now (the black-I'd love the skin tone!) She tried it on only several days after the dislocation, and it was hard to get the sore, swollen arm into it, but we are saving it for later. Can I ask- because it is made of neoprene,(and very flexible) is the brace expected to restrict motion during gymnastics,(and sibstitute for lack of elbow stability while it continues to heal) or just provide a bit of support?

I'm glad to hear that your doctor said to wean off of the brace- that's nice to know that it won't be needed after awhile!

Thanks for the reassurance and the info!

While she was healing, (swollen and limited in degree of movement), we used the big brace - the one you showed a picture of in your email. By locking that brace, we could make sure to protect the joint in all directions. Once she was back to "normal" and given the green light from PT and DR, we used the smaller brace. It didn't restrict motion at all, but provided lateral stability so that she didn't dislocate again. At least, that was our theory :)

Thank you, Tbrov. That's what we've heard on this end, too. Right now, we do a combo ACE wrap and athletic tape job that protects the joint, and especially limits elbow extension. I've found some tape job tutorials on You Tube that tape especially for specific ligament tears, that look good, too. I also found another version of the small brace we both own, but it seems to be made of a sturdier, less flexible material than neoprene. (by Don Joy) The brace is almost $200, but I bet the taping bill would creep up to that amount quickly, too!

upload_2014-10-22_22-47-22.png

(this photo might be really distorted - sorry!) Once the swelling is down, this is the Cadillac of elbow braces. I believe that this one was custom made by an orthotist in Michigan. It has adjustable stops and I have heard prices range from $900 up. Some insurance companies will cover the custom brace. Ours covered 90% of a comfortable (said my daughter) custom carbon fiber brace ($1200) with super thin hinges and adjustable stops that she wore (including competitions) about 8 months. If the physician would like her in a brace that long and you have a friendly insurance company, my daughter would say that this is the way to go! According to my daughter, the adjustable non custom braces just weren't 'fast enough' to do any but the most basic of skills.

View attachment 4997
(this photo might be really distorted - sorry!) Once the swelling is down, this is the Cadillac of elbow braces. I believe that this one was custom made by an orthotist in Michigan. It has adjustable stops and I have heard prices range from $900 up. Some insurance companies will cover the custom brace. Ours covered 90% of a comfortable (said my daughter) custom carbon fiber brace ($1200) with super thin hinges and adjustable stops that she wore (including competitions) about 8 months. If the physician would like her in a brace that long and you have a friendly insurance company, my daughter would say that this is the way to go! According to my daughter, the adjustable non custom braces just weren't 'fast enough' to do any but the most basic of skills.

Wow!! The Cadillac, for sure! (-: That looks great- lightweight, certainly breathable, and most importantly, it looks very supportive! I appreciate all of yours and your daughter's input- something that can keep up with a gymnast's movement is so important. Does your daughter's brace have something on the back for support- I see what looks like a strap in the front- is it on the back side, too? Is the strap just to help keep the hinges in the right spot?

I will be researching this, going with it to our ortho doc for his opinion, and looking into possible insurance reimbursement.

I also appreciate knowing how long each of your daughters wore their braces after returning to gymnastics.

Did your daughter have a surgical repair before returning, oldiebutgoodie?

Wow!! The Cadillac, for sure! (-: That looks great- lightweight, certainly breathable, and most importantly, it looks very supportive! I appreciate all of yours and your daughter's input- something that can keep up with a gymnast's movement is so important. Does your daughter's brace have something on the back for support- I see what looks like a strap in the front- is it on the back side, too? Is the strap just to help keep the hinges in the right spot?

I will be researching this, going with it to our ortho doc for his opinion, and looking into possible insurance reimbursement.

I also appreciate knowing how long each of your daughters wore their braces after returning to gymnastics.

Did your daughter have a surgical repair before returning, oldiebutgoodie?
She actually had two. As soon as the swelling was down from the first surgery they took her out of the clunky Don Joy thing and had the fancy :) brace made. After the second surgery (two months later) there was really very minimal swelling so she went right back into the fancy brace (they adjusted the ROM stops in PT). She competed in the brace with the ROM stops in the unlocked position - although they brace would still not allow hyperextension.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back