WAG Confusion about Optionals...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is all very interesting from my newbie perspective! Thanks for the info. So to even think about a college scholarship should she be level 10 by her sophomore year? Is that the consensus? So crazy to think that far ahead! Good luck to all!

It's interesting that some gyms want you to compete level 6 and then score out of level 7; our gym wants my daughter to do the opposite, to score out of level 6 so she can compete level 7 this season; the only problem is, she doesn't seem interested in her giant at all which is very frustrating but it's her season. She has to do level 5 in 2 weeks and keeps complaining about her bhs on beam...she wants to compete a back tuck, but she won't be able to till level 7.

It's interesting that some gyms want you to compete level 6 and then score out of level 7; our gym wants my daughter to do the opposite, to score out of level 6 so she can compete level 7 this season; the only problem is, she doesn't seem interested in her giant at all which is very frustrating but it's her season. She has to do level 5 in 2 weeks and keeps complaining about her bhs on beam...she wants to compete a back tuck, but she won't be able to till level 7.
It is my understanding that a back tuck on beam isn't allowed until L8 as it is a C skill.

This is all very interesting from my newbie perspective! Thanks for the info. So to even think about a college scholarship should she be level 10 by her sophomore year? Is that the consensus? So crazy to think that far ahead! Good luck to all!

This would give her the best chance of being competitive for a full ride at a D1 school. However, many gymnasts who don't achieve this still end up with scholarships. And many who do achieve this do not end up with scholarships.

If you look at the percentage of kids doing any given sport at age 6-10, the chances of any of those kids getting a scholarship in their sport are very, very low, regardless of whether the child is a rank beginner or that most awesomest, best, totally-going-pro-or-to-the-Olympics kid. My advice is not to start even thinking about scholarships until your child is in junior high school. By then, you'll have a somewhat better idea of whether your child loves the sport enough to imagine continuing it for another 8-10 years and whether her/his training trajectory is such that it makes sense to start thinking in those terms. And even then, most 11-13 year olds, even the ah-maz-ing ones, are not going to get NCAA scholarships in the sports they are doing. In fact, quite a lot of them will no longer be doing that sport by the time they are 15 or 16.

The gymnastics journey goes better, I think, if mom and/or dad isn't putting any particular destination in the GPS. Actually, I think that is true for all children's sports.

This would give her the best chance of being competitive for a full ride at a D1 school. However, many gymnasts who don't achieve this still end up with scholarships. And many who do achieve this do not end up with scholarships.

If you look at the percentage of kids doing any given sport at age 6-10, the chances of any of those kids getting a scholarship in their sport are very, very low, regardless of whether the child is a rank beginner or that most awesomest, best, totally-going-pro-or-to-the-Olympics kid. .My advice is not to start even thinking about scholarships until your child is in junior high school By then, you'll have a somewhat better idea of whether your child loves the sport enough to imagine continuing it for another 8-10 years and whether her/his training trajectory is such that it makes sense to start thinking in those terms. And even then, most 11-13 year olds, even the ah-maz-ing ones, are not going to get NCAA scholarships in the sports they are doing. In fact, quite a lot of them will no longer be doing that sport by the time they are 15 or 16.

The gymnastics journey goes better, I think, if mom and/or dad isn't putting any particular destination in the GPS. Actually, I think that is true for all children's sports.

Sam's mom. In case you haven't read the other threads related to college recruiting, the bolded statement is inaccurate. Recruiting starts as early as 8th grade with many of the "best" gymnasts committing to the "best" schools their sophomore year in high school. So to have the "best" (meaning the most opportunities) chance, successfully competing level 10 in the 7th or 8th grade would be ideal. I know of D1 coaches traveling to watch 8th grade kids at practice. These kids being recruited have also been successful at Nationals, qualified for Hopes and have a legit shot at qualifying Elite.

BUT, as profmom stated some of these kids won't make it to compete in college. And some kids who don't compete their first season of level 10 until their sophomore year of high school will be All americans at major Universities. These are exceptions though, not the rule.

The second bolded statement will most likely insure you don't get a gymnastics scholarship. Waiting until junior year to start thinking about scholarships will all but guarantee the gymnasts career will end with high school graduation, unless you are at a gym that has other kids being actively recruited. Recruiting is an activity that requires both sides working to find the best fit. The earlier you start the better your chances are of finding a coach that wants/needs you. If you are lucky enough to be at a gym that has several girls being recruited you have a chance of a coach noticing you while they are watching other girls. But if you've ever watched a college coach at a gym practice you know that they really only watch the specific gymnast they've come to recruit.

Many people really hate the scenario I've described above and think it is unfair, wrong, etc. I understand why people feel that way but don't kill the messenger. I'm just relating what I know to be true.

LOL Yes...this she is thankful for (as am I!). I am less concerned about what level she competes (I would much rather her be successful and happy--and have her first optionals season a winning one), but I also see her frustration. Given that she is still young, I don't think she has the maturity (yet) to understand HC's point of view--especially when she was told she would be competing level 7 as a level 6--I don't think she's been able to wrap her mind around the logic of that. Hopefully, when she sees that success she will be okay (and honestly, I'm keen on saving the money from not having to travel to CO this year!) and enjoy optionals competitions.
I'm dreading Colorado myself....

If you look at the percentage of kids doing any given sport at age 6-10, the chances of any of those kids getting a scholarship in their sport are very, very low, regardless of whether the child is a rank beginner or that most awesomest, best, totally-going-pro-or-to-the-Olympics kid. My advice is not to start even thinking about scholarships until your child is in junior high school. By then, you'll have a somewhat better idea of whether your child loves the sport enough to imagine continuing it for another 8-10 years and whether her/his training trajectory is such that it makes sense to start thinking in those terms. And even then, most 11-13 year olds, even the ah-maz-ing ones, are not going to get NCAA scholarships in the sports they are doing. In fact, quite a lot of them will no longer be doing that sport by the time they are 15 or 16.

I also believe this statement to be very accurate! The coach/coaches should be leading the recruiting charge. Under NCAA rules they are the only person a college coach can contact. Though the gymnast and parent can contact the coach.

Just to clarify: junior high = seventh and eighth grade.

Got it now! Junior high isn't a phrase I hear used very often and I obviously read it incorrectly to say Junior in high school. If I could I would edit my post??

Your posts seems a little contradictory and I think that is part of what made me read it incorrectly.

I know, my area of the country is one of those weird places where it still exists. But if you read it as unclear, it's likely others did too, so thanks!

Thanks everyone! This is exactly why I love CB..to get opinions/info from veterens and people living where gymnastics is much more competative than it is in Syracuse, NY. The tough part is that on one hand it seems almost ridiculous to think about athletic scholarships for you 7 year old, but on the other hand, it is SUCH a competative world and they peak so early that I want to give her the best chance I can. At this point, she is highly motivated and wants to be there everyday. She is the kid who will sit with my iPad googling other kids' routines and asking a thousand questions about the rules..but I also know these things change! So we'll see :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back