WAG Bars - deduction for adding in extra cast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
On L4 bars, my DD doesn't get enough momentum on the long hang kip to connect her back hip circle, and added in an extra cast to do it.

Can anyone tell me for sure how much of a deduction that is? to add in, I guess it would be adding in an element?

Trying to figure out how much of her last score was from that, and how much it may go up (roughly) once she can connect.

Thank you :)

Don't know if there is a rule change in us for levels. But FIG rules is 0.5 for the extra cast and up to 0.5 for lack of handstand in the cast.

Hope that helps :)

No handstand in L4 bars routine.

I don't know the specifics, but I'm pretty sure you could get a few tenths for the extra cast and a few tenths for not connecting it...

On L4 bars, my DD doesn't get enough momentum on the long hang kip to connect her back hip circle, and added in an extra cast to do it.

Can anyone tell me for sure how much of a deduction that is? to add in, I guess it would be adding in an element?

Trying to figure out how much of her last score was from that, and how much it may go up (roughly) once she can connect.

Thank you :)
Well since there is supposed to be a cast after the long hang kip, I'm not sure I would call it an 'extra cast,' just not directly connected. I believe that is .10. An actual extra cast would be .30. As to the other poster, not touching the bar on the dismount with the turning hand is also .30.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% as I have just passed my club judging course with 93% on practical and 84% on theory but In the UK, and we were tested using FIG not the changed rules for different levels of competition. :) sorry

Usually, when they don't connect especially on high bar, they do an extra cast because their legs swing back out of the kip and then forward again to get a "big" cast. I've some discussion from judges about whether or not the legs swinging back and then forward constitutes a cast or the hips need to come off the bar, but that usually cones to play in level 3 after something like a leg cut. Most of the time they will clear the bar out of a kip.

I was looking for something else earlier today, and saw this:
https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/compulsory/13comp_pages_012214.pdf
Page 158:
0.30 Extra cast or swing (maximum of 0.60 per consecutive occurance)

Now, what I was actually looking for was the deduction for not touching the bar on the 1/2 turn dismount. Does anyone know what it is?

Ooh, that helps. I've bookmarked that :)

Well since there is supposed to be a cast after the long hang kip, I'm not sure I would call it an 'extra cast,' just not directly connected. I believe that is .10. An actual extra cast would be .30. As to the other poster, not touching the bar on the dismount with the turning hand is also .30.

When I watched everyone else, as they come out of the long hang kip, and they cast up to horizontal, my DD doesn't nearly make it, so she casts again, up to horizontal and then into the back hip circle. (I think it's called a cast??? When they swing and their thighs hit the bar, and their legs bounce up, into horizontal?)

So all together, I see that she very probably lost .15 on the glide kip for not horizontal, then .30 on the longhangkip for SO not horizontal, then .30 for the extra cast. Theoretically, this could have accounted for .75 of her score (she got an 8.0).

I'm kind of glad it's so much, because then it's evident that it's based on her kipping, which is lacking because of her strength. (She was completely out of gym for a full month, only 3 weeks after "getting" the kip. Then only had 3 weeks before the meet I'm talking about ).

Thank you all!

So not casting to horizontal is a .3 deduction? My dd coach has been harping on this part of the routine (both low and high bar casts) saying that the judges were taking huge deductions for not reaching horizontal.... up to .5 or .6 Can a judge take more than .3?

So not casting to horizontal is a .3 deduction? My dd coach has been harping on this part of the routine (both low and high bar casts) saying that the judges were taking huge deductions for not reaching horizontal.... up to .5 or .6 Can a judge take more than .3?
As far as I can see, it's .15 if they make it over 45 degrees, but not 90. .30 if they don't make it to 45.
If you're talking level 4, there's two, so it could truly be .60 if they miss both.

Two meets ago I was right in front of the bars, and watched one gym that ALWAYS hit horizontal, and yes, their scores really showed it.

It's an 'up to' deduction of .30.
.05-.15 1 degree to 45 degrees below horizontal
.20-.30 45 degrees or more below horizontal

Ooh, that helps. I've bookmarked that :)

So all together, I see that she very probably lost .15 on the glide kip for not horizontal, then .30 on the longhangkip for SO not horizontal, then .30 for the extra cast. Theoretically, this could have accounted for .75 of her score (she got an 8.0).

Extra cast is 0.3 plus any form/execution deductions for the cast. .

0.3 plus execution deduction. So, if she re-casts, and still doesn't go horizontal, it's an additional 0.05-0.15, right?

Two meets ago I was right in front of the bars, and watched one gym that ALWAYS hit horizontal, and yes, their scores really showed it.

This is what our coaches noticed last year too. (our first meet is in a few weeks. ) My dd is being told to hit above horizontal so there is no question on the angle for the judges.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back