WAG Is this a little unusual? Bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

reillysmom2

Proud Parent
To have a kid that can do a double back off bars, and land it cleanly but cannot do lay out flyaway? I should also mention she has trouble with a single tuck flyaway. I've searched the threads, but couldn't find anything, so just wondering if this is common?

Mine is similar. Landing for double back tends to be much cleaner than her layout, but she was fine with single tuck as well. I honestly think that mine just gives the DB a little more concentration more than it being anything mechanically. The LO was taken for granted.

Not sure about 'common', but yes I have a girl just like that. Her LO was never a thing of beauty (fear of toes hitting bar), but her DB is gorgeous. I won't let a girl double though if she can't do a LO to her back first as a timer. As long as her double goes up and away from the bar, it should be fine. Probably be quite a while before you need to worry about a double LO. :)

I think it is hard for some with a higher layout flyaway to get the timing right and not over-rotate. Is that her issue?

@ Gymsanity---No, I'm sure it will be a long time before we worry about double lo's...but her problem is that she's competing level 7 where doubles aren't allowed period. :) She used to have a pretty single tuck, but that has went by the wayside, since she first started trying to do a layout. Now her single tucks are wayyy overrated, she does go way up and out and just ends up flat on her back.

Quadqueen-- I'm not sure if timing is an issue or not...when she is trying a tuck, it's nice and high and away from the bar, she just way overrates unless she's trying a double. Her layouts tend to be more pulled in, at least from what I can tell...maybe a fear issue? She doesn't say anything other than "I do wish I would quit knocking the breath out of myself". LOL.

I have no idea, I was just curious. Coach nor kid seems concerned. I'm sure the double back will be useful later on. :D

I should also mention she can do a single tuck from just a tap swing with no problem. It's when she is connecting it to her giant that she has the issue with the single tuck. But the layout is still not happening even from a tap swing.

My ds is learning his doubles on high bar and right now his flyaway doesn't make it to hsi feet. I am sure once he manages the timing of both, he will be able to land either. Thank goodness we have 3 months before the first meet..

To have a kid that can do a double back off bars, and land it cleanly but cannot do lay out flyaway? I should also mention she has trouble with a single tuck flyaway. I've searched the threads, but couldn't find anything, so just wondering if this is common?

Not correct...but not uncommon. We have a L10 like that. Just don't give up on the regular tapping layout fly.

They have all kinds of "things". As a coach, I would be concerned about that though and go back to the progressions. It's a vestibular thing, but eventually if not adjusted/corrected can start to affect other skills. Very important to be solid on the basics.

i'm glad you brought this up. this is a question of basics. the biggest mistake that an inexperienced coach makes is to stop doing lay out flyaways after they learn something past it like a double tuck.

it is imperative that athletes continue to train lay out flyaways as part of their bar session. doesn't have to be daily...but needs to be done consistently on a schedule with the rest of the stuff that they must do and it continues their entire career.

too often i hear about kids who stop doing flyaways only to have their "big" dismount go south on them. and when??? of course at a meet. :)

Yes...our kid went south quick at a big meet. Straight south...right after she nailed the bar.

Work the tapping layout fly.

Glad to hear that. D's coach makes him work his lo fly on one station while working doubles into the pit. Honestly, he has just figured out how to really tap into it and is getting way more height/distance than last year, so it is beautiful...albeit a bit over rotated. I am sure they will fix it.

And to be clear ... even though mine has a cleaner DB similar to yours (in particular on landings), they warm up dismounts almost every practice with layouts. Timing is everything -- mine's also working double pikes as the next step, and a big part of the progression is for the gymnast to understand what's impacting their timing (release, height, head position, etc).

Personally, I really don't understand anything about timing in gymnastics unless it involves a clock ;). That's all for the coaches.

I should also mention she can do a single tuck from just a tap swing with no problem. It's when she is connecting it to her giant that she has the issue with the single tuck. But the layout is still not happening even from a tap swing.

Mine was the opposite-she struggled with the tucked flyaway for months. Her coach changed it to a layout and she did not miss it again. I think mine just did not have good timing with when to open up out of the tuck. Good luck to your girl!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back