WAG Bars Shoot Through Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinmomma

Proud Parent
My DD seems to be struggling with her shoot through in her L3 bar routine. She gets it, but she hits her foot on the bar as she shoots through and sometimes ends up falling out of it. She's SOLID on everything else. Her coaches don't seem to be giving her any drills or tips to help, just repetition. Even when she gets it, her foot hits the bar.

Any advice I can give her or body awareness tips for making it work? She's incredibly strong and bars is her favorite event, but it seems to be making her the most nervous as well.

Thanks!

Just like my YD last year. She actually never fell during her shoot thru, I think she always played it safe... and always ended up hitting the bar with her foot. And now she has issues with her squat on :eek:

I think her main problem is her tightness, and she also doesn't keep perfectly hollow during her cast. But now, when she works on her squat ons, she is actually able to do shoot thru without hitting the bar (she doesn't do shoots thru during practices anymore, but I watched her during an open gym and she did it beautifully, just for fun), so maybe the squat-on training helped her?
What she does at home is something like this:

but she focuses on keeping her legs together and getting her feet between her hands. I believe it also helps her with keeping hollow and tight and pressing her hands down. Hope it makes sense.

Repetition will help more than you think. It's a creepy feeling to do a shoot though, because it feels like you are going to fall forward if you get your hips high enough and lean forward enough to make it. Here's one of Jason's videos that is good: but it sounds like she is at the stage where she just needs lot's of spotted repetitions.

I guess I just wish I saw drills like this going on at DD's practices. She's one of a few who've managed to complete it in competition and yet all I see are them drilling the entire routine. I brought DD in for a private and they worked on her FHC and did some good drills for that but I'm not seeing anything like that in regular practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back