Parents Please tell me my child isn't the only one...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dd set a new record- she was in the dining room supposedly setting our large wooden table for dinner, I looked in, she'd pushed the tablecloth back and had a press to handstand happening :) when I asked her what she was doing she replied that if I looked at it closely a dining table was really a grown up beam :)

I shouldn't laugh but that is funny :) kids have answers for everything and sometimes they have a point ;-)
So that's to come then?
My ds thinking my dining table is a vault or something :-o

I shouldn't laugh but that is funny :) kids have answers for everything and sometimes they have a point ;-)
So that's to come then?
My ds thinking my dining table is a vault or something :-o
I should have said in my previous post that Dd is a very whimsical child ! Yes it seems that for gymies that the whole world is one big stadium- we have a wooden block very heavy coffee table in front of out TV... It seems all of the last Olympics was watched over and around the silhouette of a small girl endlessly practising basic skills on it- and lots of her friends are the same. Dd also has been seen doing her hw reading in a head stand position and brushing her hair for school in middle splits on the beam- but at least we know that she's loving it:)

Lol when dd was younger she would always do cartwheels instead of walking from room to room. Her brother was behind her with a yogurt when she randomly did a cartwheels and knocked it out of his hand. He still teases her about it. They also bet her she could just walk around the house without doing a flip and sure enough of they were playing a game and she got up from the floor to get a drink and without thinking did a cartwheel. It must be in their blood lol :)

Gymnastics is everywhere... house is a gym everyday. Ottoman is a vault, we have a beam, pretend couch edges are bars etc. Even after 3 hour practices they come home to do more. Cartwheels down grocery store aisles, and my oldest conducts a daily gymnastics lesson at school where other kids call her coach lol. No escaping it :)

Yep. Mine can't walk through the living room...she runs in from the hallway and launches herself in some fashion- either into a handstand or up into some sort of strange bridge on the couch and back down, etc.
Her bus stop is at a park and quite literally, the first thing she does every single day after getting off the bus, is hands me her backpack and does a cartwheel (or 20). It's like she's held it in all day at school and it just HAS to get out.

My children do not think it is acceptable to walk anywhere where they could be cartwheeling. Ever.

Dd also considers continual back/ front walk overs and walking on her hands as a way more sensible method of going anywhere- and yes she was one of those tearaway tots!! LOL how many of them end up in gym:)... So interesting thought- any CBers out there who had quiet non-tearaway tots that morphed into gymies? Do they practise crazily on your furniture- or does the gymnastics stay in the gym? Because maybe the tearaway tots get channelled into gym more and these are the kids most likely to have the energy still to burn outside the gym?

Dd also considers continual back/ front walk overs and walking on her hands as a way more sensible method of going anywhere- and yes she was one of those tearaway tots!! LOL how many of them end up in gym:)... So interesting thought- any CBers out there who had quiet non-tearaway tots that morphed into gymies? Do they practise crazily on your furniture- or does the gymnastics stay in the gym? Because maybe the tearaway tots get channelled into gym more and these are the kids most likely to have the energy still to burn outside the gym?

I got ds into gym when he was 4 1/2...
He's always been 'that kid' that has energy by the bucket load and is ever satisfied with a task and he's always bored and never tired... Only sleeps 9 hours a night (he's forced back to bed but never sleeps)
We were watching the Olympics and he was sat in almost full box split so I called the little gym...
He went that following sat and cried... A lot! Was a rec class with lots of girls and at 4 he didn't appreciate girls and thankfully at 6 still doesn't ;-)
Anyway the boys coach had popped in with some paperwork saw his foot flex and asked me there and then to bring him to boys development!
He spent 18 months doing 2 hours a week and now does 4 there and up just started 1 1/2 hrs at the bigger 6 piece gym..
He needs 6-9 hours now and is ready for it (he's nearly 7).. He's gone back to having wayyyyyyy too much energy and bouncing around and getting into trouble at school as ip he's often restless...
School are great and often have him up showing off a skill or a routine but they weirdly Agee that he needs to be tired out!

My DD However is awaiting a tumblers spot (I can't see it happening as wait list is 2 yrs) and she's 8... She quite happily teddy rolls or forward rolls or whatever else she knows around the house but she never seems that bothered...
It's a shame as she's on badge 3 recreational and all she wants to learn is tumbles :-(

Oops I went on and on and on... I'm a lot like that in real life ;-)

Yep, this is a common theme with the vast majority of my gymnasts. It's funny to hear the antics the boys are up to after practice. They use the crown molding around doors at home for pull-ups/chin-ups, do headstands in booths at restaurants, and much more. These are just a few recent ones that come to my head, lol.

Just this morning he somersaulted out of bed and did a headstand in the minivan while waiting for his dad to get in. The world is one big gym.

You all have furniture left in your house??

We no longer have a living room rug - we now have a mat (covering it).

We no longer have an ottoman - we now have a mushroom.

We no longer have a closet door - we now have a handstand and pull up station.

And in place of a coat rack, we now have a floor beam in the corner, standing at the ready to be whisked over to the living room mat.

Pretty soon the hubs and I will be forced into the garage....

o_O:p

My husband was carrying a sleeping ds upstairs to his bed. He watched ds get out of bed, still asleep, and cartwheel into the bathroom. Ds used the bathroom, cartwheeled back into his room, and continued sleeping. Husband says he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it :)

*Raises hand*
DD comes home from gym and will walk on her hands through the living room. Cartwheel to the bathroom to wash up for dinner. On and on and on. She's been caught doing back handsprings on our bed (BIG NO NO). She has a practice beam that she works on (low) and now has gotten her first USAG magazine and discovered that you can buy bars for home use which I promptly nixed. Every curb is a beam, every tree is a bar. The chairs are vaulted into. At this point she's upside down so often I've just taken to saying "point your toes, at least if you're going to do it, do it right."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back