It is official - we are bidding for Worlds 2015

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read that this morning, I think it's wonderful. I'm SOOOOO in :)

As long as you don't add mayo... Too bad there isn't any Ashton in Montreal. Their poutine is so good!

I hope I'll be able to go!!

That would be so much fun to attend, especially if there was a CB party! Although, I'm a tad afraid to ask what Poutine is... (in my defense being a gym mom leaves me little time to know these things!)

Ahh very interesting! And with 25 versions, how can you go wrong! LOL

Sort of a Canadian version of a Coney Dog - sans meat, likely with more taste, and with a much fancier name of course!

Looks like it is a go. From La Presse today.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/20141...de-gymnastique-2017-montreal-va-de-lavant.php

Translation below.

"After getting the green light from the executive committee of the city Wednesday, Gymnastics Canada, in collaboration with Quebec Gymnastics, officially submitted the candidacy of Montreal with the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) on Friday. The FIG should debate and vote at the meeting of its executive committee on October 28, on the sidelines of the 80th Congress to be held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.

Barring a last minute change, Montreal is the only candidate city for the 47 're Worldwide. "We're very confident," said yesterday morning Jean-Paul Caron, who is leading the project as a consultant for Gymnastics Canada.

"My only concern was that the case should not be treated on Oct. 28 because it comes too late with our bid," added the former chief executive of the National Federation (2000-2014), who will be around in Tashkent . "But we worked hard with the international federation and I was OK during the weekend. Otherwise, it would have been postponed to February 26. "

"Enable Folder"

In discussion with the FIG last two years, Mr. Caron expects to get a favorable response next week. "The dossier meets all requirements of the FIG, he has said. I do not see why they would not give us at least a conditional approval in principle a site visit in November or December. From there, it allows us to activate the file and start working. "

The Olympic Stadium has been booked from 25 September to 9 October 2017 The competitions would be held on the lawn of the main enclosure. The theater configuration would accommodate between 10,000 and 15,000 spectators, said Mr. Caron. The training site is adjacent to the competition podium, enclosed by curtains.

About 500 athletes and 750 coaches from 70 countries are expected for the event spread over 11 days by counting days of training. It is covered by 500 media representatives and broadcast in 120 countries. The economic impact of the Championships is valued at nearly 49 million, according to an analysis model developed by the Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance, included in the business plan of the Montreal project.

A budget of 12.2 million

The estimated budget prepared by Gymnastics Canada is 12.2 million, of which slightly more than half come from public funds. The City of Montreal, the last government to dive instance, has committed to provide up to $ 600,000 in money, goods and services. This decision should be approved by the city council and the agglomeration council, respectively on 27 and 30 October.

The Government of Canada (3.2 million), the Government of Quebec (1.75 million), Tourism Montreal ($ 400,000), the Olympic Installations Board ($ 250,000) and the Office 375 e ($ 200,000 ) have all confirmed their support.

In one year, the estimated budget rose from 18.4 to 12.3 million in grants due to lower than hoped the governments of Canada and Quebec. "Spending has been cut by $ 6 million, putting significant pressure on the organizers, it said in an executive summary of the City of Montreal. The goals of self-ticket sales, sponsorships and merchandise sales becomes very important. "

Quebec and Canadian federations fund the event to the tune of 3.4 million (accommodation and food packages), more than a quarter of the overall budget. They pledged to absorb any shortfall. "The risk areas are controllable," assured Mr. Caron asked about the budget cut.

The World Gymnastics Championships, one of the three founding sports of the Olympic Movement with athletics and swimming, are held every year except Olympic years. The last World just been played in Nanning, China, where Ellie Black, Halifax, proved with a ninth in the all-around, the best result of the Canadian Women's history.

In post-Olympic year, as in 2017, only tests per device (six men, four women) and all-around are presented. The overall team competition does not take place.

Montreal was the host of the only other World Gymnastics held in Canada in 1985, to the late velodrome at the Olympic Park."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back