Coaches How should I measure vault starting points with distance tape?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I recently purchased a Velcro tape measure from Norbert's for my vault runway and plan on assigning the girls set markings to avoid start distance confusion. This way, the girls can really refine their approach and thus create more reliable vaults, and I'll have a much easier time playing around with and modifying their starting positions to see changes in results. However, I am not sure where I should measure from. Where should I initially place the beginning of the tape? From the metal leg(s) of the vault base? Or somewhere else? I have never done this before, so I'm seeking guidance. My green is showing. :D

Also, any wisdom or advice you could impart on the topic of perfecting the run/approach would be very valued.

You should measure from the front edge of the table, which on a FIG horse will also be the front edge of the base. As for the run, one small hint that has worked for me. Tell the kids to accelerate through the run, not necessarily go full blast the whole way. I usually say 3 slow steps, 3 medium, and then hit the gas up to the hurdle! When the run becomes consistent they can begin to back up the start position and increase overall speed.

@krc | From what I understand, a gradually accelerating approach is the mark of a strong vaulter. I have not tried this concept with my athletes yet, but I think I might. Thank you for the advice and knowledge!

@coachp | Forward entry. They are only Xcel Silver level gymnasts, so they are competing the level 3 vault.

Reactions: krc
@coachp | Forward entry. They are only Xcel Silver level gymnasts, so they are competing the level 3 vault.[/QUOTE]

Not QUITE the L3 vault... it is OVER the table, with repulsion, onto the vault stack.

I am a crazy person about runs - I currently coach only vault. I count everyone's steps. When I first began at this gym, not many had consistent steps..it took awhile to get them all on the same page, but I personally find it to be very beneficial - when a gymnast is "off" I can simply count their steps out loud, and 9 times out of 10, they're really right on and just needed a verbal cue to get back on track. I have a big white board that everyone writes their starting number on, and as their runs improve and their number changes, they just go change it on the board. Also helps when I am gone - anyone can look at the board to make sure the kids are at the right spot, and can count as needed. There's nothing worse than seeing a gymnast with a great run in the beginning, then stuttering at the end because they're not sure where to jump from ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back