GO level 5 bar routine question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmama999

Proud Parent
Can someone please tell me what the requirements for a new level 5 bar routine. I am hearing conflicting info. Is a baby giant a requirement? What about kip to high bar, tap swing, counter swing, tap swing flyaway?

Our club is making our level 5 girls do baby giants, another coach from another club says no way, it needs to come out of the routines. I know there were recently more changes and they haven't been communicated to the parents.

Quals are 5 weeks away! Help please

Can someone please tell me what the requirements for a new level 5 bar routine. I am hearing conflicting info. Is a baby giant a requirement? What about kip to high bar, tap swing, counter swing, tap swing flyaway?

Our club is making our level 5 girls do baby giants, another coach from another club says no way, it needs to come out of the routines. I know there were recently more changes and they haven't been communicated to the parents.

Quals are 5 weeks away! Help please
I assume you are in Ontario? This is from GO's website....

page3image11400
page3image11568
page3image11652
page3image11736
page3image12072
page3image12156
page3image12240

1. 2 different kips (one low bar & 1. one high bar)
2. Cast to horizontal
3. Choice of backward circling element:
Clear hip (degree TBC from JO)
Stalder (degree TBC from JO)
Sole circle (tuck or straight TBC from JO)
4. Fly-a-way dismount tuck, pike or layout (may come from a counterswing, tap swing combination)

No mandatory baby giant..... Unless that is what you are calling the free hip circle.

Thank you so much for your response. I am not a very knowledgable gym mom. I have read those rules, however I understand that very recently the clubs have received more changes, does anyone have any insight to the new changes?

How recent were these new changes? We are still working from the rules listed above and DD is not working a baby giant as a requirement.

Sorry, I can't help you. My daughter isn't in this level and I'm not privy to those types of changes as a gym mom.

I believe the above routine that was quoted was the new G.O. "Invitational" level 5 routine...not the level 5 provincial routine that will be seen at qualifiers. Changes have been made to the invitational routines only that are now aligning with the americans level systems. The provincial program has not yet undergone any significant changes. Hope that helps. Is your daughter an invitational athlete or a provincial athlete? Provincial....yes their is a long hang pull over in the routine. Provincial 1 bars - pullover or kip on, tuck on, bar change, baby giant or kip (only 1 kip allowed), 1 circling element (front or back hip circle) straddle or pike underswing dismount, flyaway not required. kip not required.

Are you talking about the Ontario provincial system (GO) above? It seems like you might be from a different province, as you referred to provincial level 1, which is not used in Ontario.

My daughter is a provincial level 5 athlete in Ontario. I'm not aware of different rules for invitational level 5 I thought level 5 was level 5. We were also told flyaway is mandatory for level 5. Our HC is confident the bar routines are on track and has checked with some judges. I guess we will find out at the first qual. Thanks everyone for your help.

Please let us know how first qual goes as we are following the rules listed above from GO and don't compete until the 5th qual. With all the changes, I'm sure it is going to be somewhat confusing for both athletes, coaches and judges at the first few qualifiers.

I will let you know, I am quite worried with all these changes. DD had a rough season last year, so hoping for a good one this year!

All the level 5 girls in our gym are doing routines like what is listed on GO's website. @gymmama999 the girls in our gym are doing tucked flyaways.

Please let us know how first qual goes as we are following the rules listed above from GO and don't compete until the 5th qual. With all the changes, I'm sure it is going to be somewhat confusing for both athletes, coaches and judges at the first few qualifiers.

We are also at the 5th qualifier - it is the first meet for our provincial girls.

I hope your DD had a good competition. I was following some of the scores on BTS and was surprised at the wide range of marks on bars. It sounds like the girls that are doing baby giants are following the exact bar routine that the Level 5 U.S. girls are doing.

She didn't compete, she has an injury so we went to watch. I think it was for the best, our coach was told about 35% of athletes had incorrect skills and most coaches learned 3 or more things over the weekend. I'll be glad for her to get a make up! Good luck to everyone this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back