Parents First injury! Broken toe :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I have a very sad little gymnast....hopefully it will heal quickly. The first meet is December 6...tell me, veterans, will we be ok?!

She says she smashed it in the bar while doing squat ons? I can't really understand it, but it's really bruised! I can't figure out how to post a pic...my Mom works for an orthopedist so he's going to check it out tomorrow. Probably not much they can do, but hopefully he can tell me how long to rest it. She's flipping out! Sweet little thing didn't cry until they said she couldn't do gymnastics :(

My dd broke the 4th metatarsal in the summer. It was super bruised. She was in an ortho-shoe (the hard bottom type thing you see people wear after foot surgery for about 5 weeks and then eased back in. She could do a lot with that on though, so hopefully your DD's gym can work with her. It took her about 8 weeks to be back full strength.

I was sooooo glad it wasn't the metatarsal...that was my fear. So hopefully she'll only need a week or 2 off?

Yeah...if it's just the phalange, buddy tape it and maybe wear tennis shoes for landing events like vault and floor.

Shouldn't be too long at all......buddy tape...arnica gel to take down any inflammation and warm heat after 48 hours!

And my favorite joke emerges once again... "Do you need me to call you a tow truck"? If its broken then 4 weeks no impact. If its not then 1 week and suck it up.

Thanks! That's a great idea to wear shoes...I never thought of that. It definitely IS broken... orthopedist said she could do whatever doesn't hurt but we're going to at least take the weekend off (much to her dismay..)

Invest in some athletic/walking shoes with hard/firm soles. It will help her be able to walk more comfortably. They are not super easy to find because most of the athletic shoes out there these days have very flexible soles. They should have some at one of those more expensive shoe stores that carry the higher priced comfort type lines or walking shoe type store. If the color is boring (it probably will be), buy her some awesome neon shoe laces to use with them....

Thanks! She wants to go to class tomorrow, but we told her to listen to her body. We'll see!

My daughter broke that toe on beam the middle of January and we were told she could train what doesn't hurt. We taped it, iced and Advil, and she competed the next day, and again three weeks later. Trained what didn't hurt and modified as needed.

My daughter broke that toe on beam the middle of January and we were told she could train what doesn't hurt. We taped it, iced and Advil, and she competed the next day, and again three weeks later. Trained what didn't hurt and modified as needed.
How did you tape it?

Wow, had no idea that breaking a non-big toe was so much better than a finger! (DS was on modified workouts for six weeks last fall.) I hope she's already feeling a lot better. See if the coaches will let her do an extra bars rotation while her group is on vault and floor for a little while as the soreness is easing. The truism in gym is that injuring a lower extremity = awesomeness on bars!

Wow, had no idea that breaking a non-big toe was so much better than a finger! (DS was on modified workouts for six weeks last fall.) I hope she's already feeling a lot better. See if the coaches will let her do an extra bars rotation while her group is on vault and floor for a little while as the soreness is easing. The truism in gym is that injuring a lower extremity = awesomeness on bars!
You're right- she broke the toe Monday and FINALLY got her kip Tuesday! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back