WAG Need advice from experienced hair masters!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a former stylist I can tell you that style will not work on all heads of hair. Some girls who have long enough hair, don't have the bulk or thickness to support that. Some hair is like frog fur and there is just no way you will get that into an upside down braided bun that will with hold a meet. If you want a uniform look, go with a slicked back bun or pony that everyone is capable of. Trying to go fancy is just not worth the extra stress it will cause some mom's for the very sorry payoff that will inevitably lead to failure.

I have seen those poor children with velcro'ed head attachments - you bad mother @Ali'sMom , poor little Desdemona ;)

Here is little Desdemona at 3 years old. If she didn't have that bow, she would definitely be mistaken for a boy... (as she was, many times!)
ry=400.jpg

I had a ribbon until I was 3. With my DD I just smiled and nodded when people said what a lovely boy she was.

As a former stylist I can tell you that style will not work on all heads of hair. Some girls who have long enough hair, don't have the bulk or thickness to support that. Some hair is like frog fur and there is just no way you will get that into an upside down braided bun that will with hold a meet. If you want a uniform look, go with a slicked back bun or pony that everyone is capable of. Trying to go fancy is just not worth the extra stress it will cause some mom's for the very sorry payoff that will inevitably lead to failure.
I love the concept of frog fur hair - brilliant!

As a baby I too was scant of hair - something I am not now, whilst out in the perambulator and wizened old crone stopped my mother, peered into the conveyance and said "what a lovely little girl...............(pause)....It is a little girl isn't it ?" To which my mother said yes, "Ah, I thought so, she is wearing a pink coat"

My mother then replied " She is wearing a pink coat because that was her sisters before her, and if she was was a boy she would still be wearing a pink coat !"

Off she stomped leaving a very discombobulated old lady.

As a baby I too was scant of hair - something I am not now, whilst out in the perambulator and wizened old crone stopped my mother, peered into the conveyance and said "what a lovely little girl...............(pause)....It is a little girl isn't it ?" To which my mother said yes, "Ah, I thought so, she is wearing a pink coat"

My mother then replied " She is wearing a pink coat because that was her sisters before her, and if she was was a boy she would still be wearing a pink coat !"

Off she stomped leaving a very discombobulated old lady.

I love it!
I typically kept DD in pink as an infant and small toddler to avoid the boy comments. But one day she was in a beautiful periwinkle (girlish to me) dress. But in her infant carrier it wasn't evident it was a dress. I typically corrected most people (politely) when the assumed she was a boy. But this day, it was the sweetest old lady who told me my little boy was beautiful, and "What is his name?". I didn't have the heart to correct her, so I just said "Al". :)

As a little baby, my DD was in mostly blues and greens as I had this naive idea that girls didn't magically acquire a pink obsession.
Typical conversation:
"Awww, what a beautiful boy. <Blah blah chat a bit.> What's his name?" I'd respond and get a confused look from the random stranger who'd accosted me and was delaying me getting the shopping home.

By about 2 she did wear pink and I was continually amazed that people would assume she was a boy when dressed head to toe in pink items. I mean, you'd have to hesitate right?

With my DS, as a baby he was in the same items, including the pinks. There was no mistaking him for a girl, ever. As a 2 year old, dressed in a fairy outfit with wings a necklace and his hair (he had more hair) with pretty pink clips in it, they could imagine that he could pass for a girl, but really, he just looked like a boy dressed up as a girl :)

I love it!
I typically kept DD in pink as an infant and small toddler to avoid the boy comments. But one day she was in a beautiful periwinkle (girlish to me) dress. But in her infant carrier it wasn't evident it was a dress. I typically corrected most people (politely) when the assumed she was a boy. But this day, it was the sweetest old lady who told me my little boy was beautiful, and "What is his name?". I didn't have the heart to correct her, so I just said "Al". :)
Hahahaha! Al -- what a great baby name!!

The hair style is beautiful and not overly difficult to do...but...it's more suited for a dance recital or a semi formal event.

Having a bun can be awkward in back extensions and can be very problematic on the beam if any of your girls are using that skill. We had a coach one year insisted on a side braid and high pony for her girls. Two of the girls on the team had back extensions on the beam and both had falls because their ponytails got in the way. (First event...totally threw off their comp) The following comp we ignored her hair dictatorship and braided as we normally would. Podium finishes for both girls who had fallen previously.

Lots of ways to get the girls looking similar... matching ribbons, hair stickers...one club last year had each girl add silk flowers on one side of their hair.

The hair style is really pretty! If I was told I had to do it for my daughter I would quit. I cannot do any sort of hairstyle and can only manage one style of bun...it involves lots of hairspray and industrial strength pins. I hate meet hair more than anything else about meets and an upside down french braid would push me over the edge. My daughter would love the style though.

Alright, so it's been a while since I've visited this thread, but here's an update!

All the parents were really good sports about it! They all liked the hairstyle, although some of them doubted their ability to be able to do it. However, we had a few mock meet-type practices where the girls all wore their competition leotards and had to have their hair done correctly. It was a great way for the parents to practice the style, and I was quite impressed with the outcome. They certainly rose to the challenge. This was in the beginning of November.

Fast forward to current day, we are four meets in the bag and the parents are quite pleased with me. :D The girls are doing great and having fun. I feel like any stress with the hairstyle that they may have had is in the past, now. @JBS, we decided to add ribbons, too. One of the mothers volunteered to make them, as she is quite crafty. Thanks for that great idea! Here are some pictures from our third meet in Atlantic City, NJ:
Photo_Feb_15_2_38_19_AM.jpg

Photo_Feb_15_2_38_31_AM.jpg

And here's a fun one. I had no idea my arm would make such a good bar! :p
Photo_Feb_15_2_40_01_AM.jpg

Now the real question is whether or not I should keep the required hairstyle for next season. I've been debating over whether or not I should have an "anything goes" type hairstyle, or keep what the parents are now familiar with and good at. What do you hair experts think?!

And just to say it again, thank you to everyone who helped me with this matter. I really appreciate it. :)

Alright, so it's been a while since I've visited this thread, but here's an update!

All the parents were really good sports about it! They all liked the hairstyle, although some of them doubted their ability to be able to do it. However, we had a few mock meet-type practices where the girls all wore their competition leotards and had to have their hair done correctly. It was a great way for the parents to practice the style, and I was quite impressed with the outcome. They certainly rose to the challenge. This was in the beginning of November.

Fast forward to current day, we are four meets in the bag and the parents are quite pleased with me. :D The girls are doing great and having fun. I feel like any stress with the hairstyle that they may have had is in the past, now. @JBS, we decided to add ribbons, too. One of the mothers volunteered to make them, as she is quite crafty. Thanks for that great idea! Here are some pictures from our third meet in at Atlantic City
Now the real question is whether or not I should keep the required hairstyle for next season. I've been debating over whether or not I should have an "anything goes" type hairstyle, or keep what the parents are now familiar with and good at. What do you hair experts think?!

And just to say it again, thank you to everyone who helped me with this matter. I really appreciate it. :)

Love, love, love. I must say I was previously against a required hairstyle. Then my Caitie's (T&T) team required one. I have since come to appreciate the simplicity of knowing exactly what I had to do each meet. It's a lot easier than pleasing a teenager who wants perfect hair, but has no idea what she thinks perfect is, day-to-day. I say if they are all happy and able, stick with it.

Awesome! They look fantastic, and they all look like they are having so much fun! Well done to you, and to your mums and gymnasts! (or dads, just in case you have any dad hairstylists!). I would keep the hairstyle - you can always change the ribbons if you want to make it look a bit different, but it looks really professional as it is.

I have to repost because my comment got eaten in whatever happened to the site just now.

I love that last photo. So much happiness and trust.

I'm still awe that you convinced the parents to do that hairstyle and that it actually stayed in! :)

Our team requires a certain hairstyle, and I love, love, love that the girls all have the same look when competing, and that there is NO discussion about hair that day. It just goes UP. LOL

Love how it turned out for you and would HIGHLY recommend that you keep this style for a few years, as your experienced moms are now your teachers for all your new girls coming onto team. Let them get used to this style for a while before changing, come to expect this style, etc. You'll probably find at least a few younger girls who have been 'waiting' till they are allowed to not only wear the comp leo, but also have the team hairstyle...

Ok, I have to admit I was one of the biggest naysayers here. However, all DD's meets this year have been later in the evening, and she got tired of the old tried and true bun and doesn't like a ponytail for competition. I found this on youtube and thought it turned out ok and I would have never pegged myself as one to really fix hair. It's a super cute look, and she got tons of compliments on it and we've done it for every meet since.
I might would have felt differenly tho if I'd been told I had to fix her hair like this...guess that's the rebel in me :)

Attachments

• IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: COz
Ok, if my coach told us my DD needed this bIr style I would tell him I hope he has time to do it himself before she competes. I can't even figure out regular French braids, let alone attempt something like that. Good luck getting parents on board.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back