WAG Cart before the horse?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Orangesoda

Proud Parent
Another thread about popular SoCal meets got my mind working...because I'm in Southern California....and I looked up a couple of the meet suggestions...and my gym is on the roster...

Would it be strange for me to attend a meet when my daughter isn't even competing yet? The sole purpose would be to satisfy my own curiosity. Watch the girls and coaches from my gym and others close by. Am I just getting way ahead of myself? Should I be embarrassed? Am I a creeper??

Our gym encourages everyone to come and support the gymnasts. And it is probably useful to get a preview of the madness that is meets, and to practice your supportive cheers and ability to stay awake during lengthy awards ceremonies! Don't forget to take a thermos of coffee and a comfy cushion!

I took my daughter to a meet to watch the season before she started competing, she was 6. We wanted to see what meets were all about. I talked to our coaches and they thought it was a great idea. It was compulsory not optional levels. She attended her first optional meet last January just after finishing her first comp season. Again it was to watch and support our team. She loved it. The big meets can make your head spin. The one we attended had three sessions going on simultaneously, level 8s, 10s and level 3s.

Not weird at all. Have fun. Here are a few things to check and be prepared for:

1. Find out which sessions your gym will be competing in before you go. You want to make sure they will be competing when you show up. Most large meets have a website where sessions and attendees per session are listed. Or you can ask your gym. This info isn't usually available until a couple weeks before the meet.

2. Most large meets charge a lot to get in ($20+/session), especially if they are in a big location like a hotel or convention center. So, be prepared to spend 3-4 hours there to get your money's worth. They will also charge for kids. It may be the full price or a reduced kid's fee. Also bring snacks. Concession prices at the larger meets can be quite high.

3. I don't know your daughter's age, but you might want to be prepared with quiet activities for her. Meets can be boring at times, especially for kids, so you may want to have activities to keep her occupied.

4. Have fun!

It can't hurt. But honestly, I would spend my money for a meet outing with my daughter in this order: 1. Nearby NCAA meet 2. Elite meet (unless it's Olympic trials, P&G chaps or Secret Classic then those are #1) 3. Level 10 meet where optionals from your gym are competing (or whatever is the highest level they have).

My daughter would have been bored out of her mind at a compulsory meet where she is not competing (unless she has a bunch of friends there).

We also went to a meet before DD started competed. More for her own good, as she was petrified that they were this "big huge thing" like she sees on tv.
She said "This is it? that's all? That's just like our mini meets at gym".
Mission accomplished :)

Thanks you guys! Dd is barely 5 and I know for a fact she'd be bored, so I'd plan to leave her at home or bring her knowing she'd need to be entertained by something other than the gymnastics-watching. Maybe I could convince another pre-team mom to fumble through it with me...haha.

Have you made any friends yet with currently competing girls' parents? It might be fun to make a couple acquaintances and sit with them at the meet to hear their commentary on everything, and cheer along for their daughter(s). If pre-teamer's parent wanted to come check out a meet and sit with us, I'd say sure! In the downtime (lot's of downtime at a meet) it's fun to chit chat, and impart our vast accumulation of wisdom to newbies ... :p

[said as a new L3 parent just finishing up our first season..];)

What Sasha said!

We did this. It's a great way to learn stuff from the other parents and to get to know them. Or rather them get to know you as you'll probably not remember their names and all the girls kind of look the same out there :)

It also shows the gym that you're interested.

We took my DD and her friend to an NCAA meet and both girls were quite intimidated. It is one thing to watch those big girls do their routines on TV. It is quite something else to see it in person. Both girls went to this colleges camp that summer and after meeting the team, can't wait to go watch them again this winter. But the first time seeing it in person was a bit much for them.

It can't hurt. But honestly, I would spend my money for a meet outing with my daughter in this order: 1. Nearby NCAA meet 2. Elite meet (unless it's Olympic trials, P&G chaps or Secret Classic then those are #1) 3. Level 10 meet where optionals from your gym are competing (or whatever is the highest level they have).

My daughter would have been bored out of her mind at a compulsory meet where she is not competing (unless she has a bunch of friends there).
I completely agree! I started taking my DD to the local NCAA meets at age 5. She loved it so much, she would shush me if I talked (even to ask if she wanted concessions or potty). It hasn't changed since that day. We get season tickets and she LOVES it!! I do wish we had some elite or Olympic trials any where near us but NCAA is as good as it gets here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back