MAG Can someone explain the basics of Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Clover

Proud Parent
I have a DS who is at the VERY beginning of his gymnastics journey. I have lately been hearing talk about Future Stars. Can someone explain the basics of this program to me?

THANKS!!!

https://usagym.org/pages/men/pages/overview_futurestars.html Very basic explanation.

The program is intended for boys and coaches who are serious about pursuing an elite path down the road, but the training is beneficial to any gymnast. It's similar to TOPS and HOPES, with national-level competition at young ages. To do well in FS, competitors have to have impeccably clean form. The routines themselves are difficult but not outrageously so. Once boys reach 11 years old, they are doing the same routines that are used at L8 as technical sequences for guys competing junior elite, which is kind of like a successor program to Future Stars.

I firmly believe that the primary benefit of the program is not so much making/not making a national team but rather the way it promotes a high level of mastery of fundamental skills. There are some parents who are owners and operators of FS participants, national qualifiers, and graduates out there on the boards, so ask away and you'll get answers! FWIW, my son is currently learning the 11 year old routines and his coach hopes he has enough of a handle on them to be able to make it to regionals next year (fall 2015). The competitive season for Future Stars is September through November.

Hello, my son just started in the future stars program a couple of months ago and just participated in the 8 year old regional testing last weekend. What I have noticed since he's been working on this is more emphasis on form, strength, and flexibility. I think it has help him become a stronger gymnast. He really enjoyed himself and enjoyed learning some new routines too. Good luck to your son! It's so fun to watch them grow :)

My ds did future stars last weekend and one of the region directors spoke to the parents with some interesting stuff. He told us that if you looked at all the 20 year old kids that compete internationally for the US most had done FS when they were younger...BUT...it did not matter where they placed. There was absolutely no correlation between winning FS or coming in last and making the competitive US team...only that they participated in it.

I think that would go with just working it as well. Our gym doesnt' compete it right now, but the routines are used and worked on for conditioning, form, and skills.

Same here. At our clinic and the evaluation the importance was placed on working the future stars material- not the scores or making the team. At our gym all boys starts with the 8/9 up routines and move up as they master them. Only boys who are excelling at age level go to the evaluation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back