Parents Big Toe/Foot Possible Break?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
My Level 3 daughter just came home from practice and told me that she somehow slammed her big toe down on vault and that it really hurts. The pain is not really in her big toe though. When she bends it down, the pain is actually up the (in)side of her foot starting about 2 of my fingertips down from the base of the big toe and extending about 3 of my fingertips. Yes, we are probably going to take her to get x-rays tomorrow... but in the meantime, would this mean that she *possibly* broke her foot or her toe? All of the pieces of the feet/hands confuse me. Or is this just a common place to have pain with a broken big toe? I am hoping that it's fine of course.

I have no idea. Seems plausible that she could have injured one of the metatarsals but I am definitely not a doctor.
I will say that when we thought for sure my older DD had broken her big toe (it was black & blue, swollen and angry... Even the ER doc took one look at it and said broken for sure but let's X-ray just to see exactly where the break is....) it wasn't broken, just a major contusion.
One of gymmies teammates got her toe caught in the springboard, we all thought she was fine just a little banged up.... It was so severely broken she had to have a pin in it for 6wks. She went to gym for a few days after the injury with it unchecked because although she was in a bit of pain, nobody thought it was anything serious. The toe was swollen but didn't look nearly as bad as my DDs non-broken toe.
So, I would be cautious and have her stay off it and ice it until she can be seen. Well, don't ice it for that whole time, lol, just intermittently..! ;) just in case.

Hope she's fine, just banged up!!!!

We just got diagnosed with a broken toe yesterday :( She did it Monday night, but I didn't bring her in until last night. I'm glad I did though. Even though there's not much they can do about it, just know the metatarsal in fine is a huge relief. Ice and ibuprofen! (I'm a pharmacist) good luck....

Oh no! Is it bruised yet? Big toe injuries are not like the other toes, so you better get it checked just to be safe. Poor girl. :(

I have just hurt mine hyperextended it doing a round off on beam and falling. It's been 3 days and still a fair amount of pain a little brushing. I think I am having the same kind off pain. Pain on the side of the foot and cant go up on toes? Tell me how it all goes? I hopefully going to the physiology Monday if still in pain.

I sprained my foot and 3 of my smaller toes last week.. hurt so bad I couldn't bare any weight on it for a few days. Dr. Gave me a boot and crutch, I used that for about a week. I hope it's not broken. .... but even a sprain can take up to 6 weeks to fully heal.

Oh no! Is it bruised yet? Big toe injuries are not like the other toes, so you better get it checked just to be safe. Poor girl. :(

She has dark brown skin, and it's so hard to see bruising... I feel like it looks like it is, but it wouldn't be as obvious as on one of my Caucasian children (she is adopted). We are going to take her to urgent care this morning just to be on the safe side!

Thank you for all of the great advice and private messages, everyone! Her x-ray on Saturday was negative for a fracture, but they said that it can often take several days or even weeks for a hairline fracture to show up. Has this been the case for anyone here? She says that it doesn't hurt that much, but we all know that these girls underplay their pain so they don't have to miss practice :).

DD had a similar injury at the beginning of summer. She jammed her toe jumping on a block during conditioning. Her toes were bent downward and the part that hurt was just above the big toe (sort of between the joint where the big toe and second toe meet). It wasn't broken, but sprained with some swelling. She was in a boot for two weeks. The swelling went down and pain went away completely after a week and a half. The boot was so that she wouldn't hurt her toe again or have someone step on it. She has a tendency to trip over her own feet. Hope your DD heals up soon.

My dd broke her big toe near the base of her toe after a bad misstep on the springboard while vaulting. The two doctors in the ER completely disagreed with each other, one said it was fractured and the other said she was fine. We then went to the Podiatrist and she said it was broken and that she should be in a boot for 4-6 weeks. We then saw an orthopedic doc and he said it wasn't broken and to stay in the boot for a week or two. I was so confused because every doctor was giving such varied opinions. My last opinion came from a highly regarded sports medicine doctor who said there was a fracture in her growth plate and that it is difficult to diagnose. She magnified the x-ray and showed me exactly where the fracture was. To make a long story longer... dd ended up in a boot for about 6 weeks. Good luck with your dd. I hope it heals quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back