Backbend kickover Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Flipsandgrips2002

So I have my backbend but I just can't seem to get my leg over or even off the ground. Any tips?

Start by doing you bridge and then just picking your favorite leg up off the floor and holding it up. Get you leg straight and toe pointed and hold your leg up for longer and longer amounts of time and higher and higher in the air until its vertical and it's easy to hold your leg up. Then put both feet on the ground and practice pushing off both feet so they come off the floor a couple inches. Then try the reverse of a bridge kick over, kick up to a handstand and then go into a bridge. Then you can try to do your kick over, getting a spot is really helpful.

Strength to help is push ups and squats jumps. Push ups will help strengthen your arms for holding you up in the kick over. You will pass through a handstand position with your legs in a split in the middle of the kick over so practicing handstands is also a good idea. The squat jumps are to strengthen your leg so you can use it to push off the floor for the kick over.

Practice kicking off higher objects first, like a sofa or a chair because that makes it a LOT easier, but be careful. Gradually work your way down to an object that is barely off the floor and then eventually ask someone to support you over, then try by yourself. Good luck!

Start by doing you bridge and then just picking your favorite leg up off the floor and holding it up. Get you leg straight and toe pointed and hold your leg up for longer and longer amounts of time and higher and higher in the air until its vertical and it's easy to hold your leg up. Then put both feet on the ground and practice pushing off both feet so they come off the floor a couple inches. Then try the reverse of a bridge kick over, kick up to a handstand and then go into a bridge. Then you can try to do your kick over, getting a spot is really helpful.

Strength to help is push ups and squats jumps. Push ups will help strengthen your arms for holding you up in the kick over. You will pass through a handstand position with your legs in a split in the middle of the kick over so practicing handstands is also a good idea. The squat jumps are to strengthen your leg so you can use it to push off the floor for the kick over.
Practice kicking off higher objects first, like a sofa or a chair because that makes it a LOT easier, but be careful. Gradually work your way down to an object that is barely off the floor and then eventually ask someone to support you over, then try by yourself. Good luck!
Thanks!

Bend one leg and have the other leg straight. Push off of the bent leg. Make sure your shoulders are over your hands before you kick over. It helps if you are on an inclined surface or kick off of a higher surface.

Bend one leg and have the other leg straight. Push off of the bent leg. Make sure your shoulders are over your hands before you kick over. It helps if you are on an inclined surface or kick off of a higher surface.
Thanks, will try!

Including everything said above, make sure you are pushing into your shoulders! It took me forever to get my kickover because I wasn't using my shoulders. Good luck!

Including everything said above, make sure you are pushing into your shoulders! It took me forever to get my kickover because I wasn't using my shoulders. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm getting there, lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back