Parents Has doing gymnastics helped with school..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

How has your child's gymnastics helped with school?

My youngest dd has been taken gymnastics for 4 Years (3 years starting from pre school to rec) and nearly 1 year competitive gymnastics. Since starting school dd has always been well behaved at school (at home she can be a little devil), she was a head with her reading from the start, just recently we had parents evening and dd was placed on the gifted and talented register for all 3 core subjects (2nd time on the register since starting full time school) Reading, Writing and Maths.

My oldest dd also does gymnastics and she is also well behaved at school (and mostly well behaved at school), she is also ahead with reading and writing and has been for a few years, maths is not her strong point. Gymnastics has given dd confidence as well, she has just signed up for a young leader program at gym where she can help out at meets, gym events and even learn a bit about coaching (you have to be 11 to do this and she will be 11 in December)

Gymnastics has certainly had a major effect on school for us! I was a bit discombobulated when ds's coach suggested that he change schools to one that had an agreement to release gymnasts early to go to training every day, and concerned that his school work would be affected. But in fact gymnastics has taught him how to listen, follow instructions, pick yourself back up after a fall and get on with things. He is a more organized and mature child thanks to gymnastics, and his schoolwork reflects that. He is happy and so are we!

Definitely.
I don't know so much about behaving in school, but this year is middle school - 6th grade, 6 different classes, advanced/gifted - and she practices 4 weeknights.
She has become so structured, that she's typically ahead of her friends when it comes to homework, because she has so much less time to do it.
She reads in the morning before leaving for school because she'll have 15-25 extra minutes.
Home by 4:00. Homework and snack. Out the door by 4:55.
Practice 5:10-8:10. Home by 8:20/8:30. Homework and real dinner, until all of "tomorrow's" homework is done. Sometimes 9:00, sometimes 10:00.
Because I like to try and keep her normal on weekends, we even push the "Why not do it Thursday night while you have extra time, even though it's not due until Tuesday?" And she agrees.

She was always good in school, but I have to say that the discipline I've seen so far this year has really impressed me. Many moms have said it's the gymnastics. One mom said her DD was very disciplined and good grades while in gym, but has switched sports to one more sporadic, and has really lost the discipline.

Yes, without a doubt. I'm sure part of my DDs improvement in work ethic, time management and social skills is due to getting older and a bit more mature (after all, there is a big difference in an 8yo and a 10yo, usually)... But I do attribute a lot of it to gymnastics. :)

Reactions: COz
Ugh. I have the anomaly. My gymmie HATES school. Her teachers claim she is never paying attention, loses things, talks too much, passes notes, etc. It's only been this year (5th grade) that she is taking care of her homework before getting to my classroom. When she has homework, she gets it done on the bus and then she does her "child of a teacher' work in my classroom before we leave for gym.

But it is almost always a fight unless my extra work hits one of her interests (native americans, u.s. geography, order of operation math problems).

Reactions: COz
So, I really can't say for sure, as my ds has done gymnastics the whole time he has been in school. So, I have no way of knowing for sure if gymnastics improved his school skills, or if he was just a kid that was goign to do ok there anyway. He loves the social, and likes being a part of things.

i will say that I think any sport or extracurrcular activities help kiddos develop those skills as they grow up. I see it in my oldest as he has become involved in more things. Gymnastics woudl definitely fit in that.

I don't know yet -DD just turned 7. She's been on pre team for about 6 months. She is a good student and loves learning but that was the case before she started gymnastics too. I do hope that gymnastics will help her to be a good student as she gets older -I would say this is my greatest incentive for driving her there and paying the bills rather than just relaxing at home in the afternoons :).

We homeschool, but DD has become quite diligent and less prone to distractions by now. Even last year, in 5th grade, it often took until she had to leave for the gym for her to finish her work. This year, she usually has an hour or 2 to play first.

*I should also say that she knows that if she doesn't do her schoolwork, guess where she's not going? :cool:

My daughter, 5th grader, just came home with a 'principal honor roll' award. Our school starts honor roll in 3rd grade - regular honor roll for those who do reasonably well, while principal honor roll is for outstanding students. Two years ago, when she was in 3rd grade (and in rec gym - 1.5 hour once per week), she was always (every quarter) on regular honor roll. One year ago, she started team (10 hours/week) and she has been on principal honor roll since then. Now 5th grade, 14 hours/week, first quarter - principal honor roll.

Wouldn't it make more sense if she did better two years ago, when the school was easier and she had way more time for her homework?
Her little sister, fresh 3rd grader and also in gym 14 hours/week, made the principal honor roll as well. Her very first time and very first try.

So, yes, I suspect gymnastics has something to do with it.

My DDs work has become very very neat and precise I don't think it's a coincidence. However the heavy training schedule means she reads far less than her school mates and I do think that has an impact. Next year she will be under pressure to skip school for gym at least one afternoon a week which I'm not keen on.

I think it has definitely helped my DD learn to get her work done whenever she can. Right now that is on the weekends but she gets it done and then has plenty of time to play. Next year is middle school for us with a different work load and times when it has to be completed so we will see how it goes. She has already talked about taking study hall so she can get it done at school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back