Boys gymnastics levels and ages...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Cakequeen

Proud Parent
Can anyone enlighten me?
I'm almost certain I found the ages at which the boys can compete and at what level the other day but now I can't find it :-(
Just curious at this stage obviously but it's always good to actually know something :-D

Boys start competing levels the year they turn 9, either level 1 or elite level 1.
At our gym the younger boys regularly compete at pre-level 1 in invitationals from the year they turn 7 as long as they are deemed ready.

Wow, so different from the US! And probably better for a lot of boys. We have some L4 boys who can't compete in the first meet because they won't have turned 6 yet, but they will compete in all subsequent meets. What kinds of skills do they do at pre-level 1?

I'm quite interested in how is compares to girls- despite having a tiny amount of boys in gymnastics overall there are more elte men and more success on the world stage.

So is it an age related progression through the levels? How does the elite levels differ from standard? Can you cross over at any time? Do they have the qualification mark to progress to the British?

Thanks!

Hi I have a boy in gym. He started competing the year he was 8......he wasn't 8 until the september so was 7 initially. Only a couple of competitions each year though. In the year they are 9 they are started on level 1, either elite or club and continue until level 6. As far as im aware there is no out of age allowed for the grades.

There is cross over from elite to club level, but not so much the other way round. Basically if your not on elite path at 9 it is unlikely you will be able to swap over later, due to the training being much more intensive for elite, although im sure there are exceptions to the rule!
Sorry dont know about qualification to British.

I don't really know more about the boys than I have already put, we seem to have quite a lot training for elite level1 this year (compared to the size of the boys squad) and I only know what the parents have told me in the waiting area. They train well over 20 hours per week though and some of the things I have seen them training are Giants, round off flic tuck back, round off flic layout, handstands on rings, they seem more advanced than our girls training to do level 4 next year although I guess age wise they would be the same as this years 4s and we don't have any of them to directly compare.

I must admit when I was told they didn't compete until the year they turn 9 I assumed they actually didn't compete at all like the girls but they seem to compete just not the national level system.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back