Parents So how do you handle dinners with late practices?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just out the oven

Attachments

• 1409918999823.jpg
    1409918999823.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1409919018898.jpg
    1409919018898.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
I can't even do crockpots because seriously, how many 14 hour crock pot recipes are there? LOL

My biggest pet peeve is finding a crockpot recipe that looks yummy and then have it say "add this or that 20 min before serving"... Well if I was THERE 20min before serving that would work, lol!

For these reasons, I tend to do my crockpot cooking on Sundays and then reheat during the week. I especially like to make BBQ pulled chicken or taco filling with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. After 6 hours on high, the chicken just falls apart. A big batch can be refrigerated or even frozen in smaller portions for use later on.

With carpool and late practice, my daughter won't get home until 9:15-9:30 pm this season. She has 4.5 hour practices Mon, Wed and Fri. They don't really get a break in between, but her coach doesn't mind them leaving practice for a bit to eat/take a break. I have just been packing her snacks for in between school and practice, to hold her up until dinner when she gets home, but isn't it bad to eat so late and then pretty much go straight to bed? Also, if she eats say pasta, during a 15 min break and then go directly back to practice, doesn't that make kids get an upset stomach or feel sick?

depends on the child, mine today had a 30 min break, ate 1/2 a quiche (see above) a nectarine and a cake bar, and then she will go back to practice, then when she gets home I fully expect her to eat 1 or 2 yoghurts and some bread and butter before bed.

Recipe please for the chicken pies? If my daughter helps bake them she is more likely to eat them. Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a spinach and cheese empanada that "travels well"??

basic shortcrust pastry

12oz flour
3oz lard (shortening ?) cubed
3 oz butter cubed
salt

Bung all ingredients in food processor, blitz, put in a blow and mix in small amounts of cold water with a knife until it looks like pastry, put in fridge to chill.

I boil a chicken to cook it so have stock on hand, but if not make 1/2 pint of chicken stock (you can buy it or I use a stock cube and boiling water).

chicken stock
milk
cornflour (cornstarch)
salt and pepper
cooked chicken

make sauce by putting 1/2 pint of chicken stock, 1/2 pint of milk, salt and pepper in a microwave jug. heat for about 4 mins. Add 5 tsp of cornflour mixed in a little cold water to the sauce and stir with a ballon whisk. put back for 2 mins, or until boiled and thick, cool slightly.

Roll out pastry and line a pie dish, place cooked chicken in pastry case and top up with sauce, pop on a pastry lid, cut a steam vent , eggwash and cook for about 35 -40 mins at 180oC ( 375oF) .

You can mix it up a bit by adding (ugh) vegetables if your child will eat them, or leeks, or bacon, tarragon is nice too.

When making shortcrust pastry with the food processor, add the water through the sticky up thing at the top, slowly, until it magically forms a big ball and the stop. Even easier.

I had to make a packed breakfast for DD today - the joy :rolleyes: her practice doesn't finish until 8 Friday so she isn't in bed til 9, ds has started a new sport and we need to leave at 8.30 Saturday morning, she was still asleep at 8.20... I seem to spend my life planning packed meals, making them or cooking real meals!

My dd is in the same boat. She goes to her grandmas after school. She has a snack there then grandma takes her to practice (4-730 or 8). I make dinner as usual and save some for her and take it to her when I pick her up. She loves it. She thinks its fun to eat in the car on the way home.

The different 'butters' are a big help in our household. I make no bake energy bars for dd, which should have peanut butter in them, but she finds the taste of peanuts a bit rich and sweet. I've been making them with almond butter and sunflower butter, on the advice of our local health food shop, and they've been going down much better. She eats them on rice cakes too, which she will never do with peanut butter.

@Flossyduck sorry for dragging up this post but do you have a recipe for the no bake energy bars please. I have bought almond and cashew butter and she isn't that keen so I need to use it upo_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back