Coaches Rec class organisation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinklytoes9468

Coach
Proud Parent
with young new beginners, do you have the same coach going round all the pieces with the same group, or have the coach staying with the same piece and the groups moving round.

Same coach travels with the kids. At this level, I'd wager the benefits of event-specific coaching are out-weighed by the confusion and transition time.

Thanks.Yes coach travelling with the kids is what has happened everywhere I have worked.But I have started at a brand new place where they are wanting to do it the other way.I think it's a bad idea as the other way you get to know the kids, and what their strengths and weaknesses are , and the kids get to know and trust their own coach

with young new beginners, do you have the same coach going round all the pieces with the same group, or have the coach staying with the same piece and the groups moving round.

Coach travels with their class...but we are considering having one of each. In other words...having a class of 12 students...one coach stays at the events and one coach travels with the kids...best of both worlds.

We do 3 rotations per class with girls rec...so this would take 6 coaches.

I coach rec (among other things). At my old club, we did the "coach travels with the group" method, which I found to be very beneficial. I knew all the girls, they trusted me, I was more flexible in terms of deciding when to switch between events.

At the new club however, they've always done it the other way. Today, I taught a class of total beginners from beginning to end and the success once again confirmed my thoughts that it is better to stay with the same kids throughout a beginner class. I still have trouble remembering a couple of kids' names because I only get them on my event every two or three weeks (we switch events between coaches but 99% of the time I'm stuck with floor or beam, which I love, but I'd welcome a change from time to time!) And I never know how they are doing on bars because there is a coach who insists on coaching bars every week.

Coach travels with their class...but we are considering having one of each. In other words...having a class of 12 students...one coach stays at the events and one coach travels with the kids...best of both worlds.

We do 3 rotations per class with girls rec...so this would take 6 coaches.

Six coaches for twelve girls?!

A member of my club's board rolled their eyes at me today when I dared to suggest I might need a third coach to help out in my pre-team class (16 girls).

We typically co-coach our classes. If the events we are doing that day are Vault, Bars, and Tramp, one coach will work on Bars with both groups, one will work on Vault with both groups and they will each coach a Trampoline rotation. We also coach the same event every week with the same class. The coach that worked with the class on vault, will ALWAYS work with those kids on vault. It has been a nice blend of getting to work with another coach as well as getting to know the kids and their skill level.

At the gym where I currently work, they have the coach stay on the event and the kids rotate. There is one person who makes a plan for what we're supposed to do each day, and they make laminated cards for each station/event. Then the coaches pick a card they want to do, and we split the kids up into groups by their age. The class has kids age 5-7. I don't like this method. The groups of kids changes from week to week because the groups just depend on how many kids are there that day, so the kids aren't necessarily with the same kids each week, and the coaches aren't necessarily with the same kids from week to week either. Most of the coaches don't know most of the kids' names, which makes the classes difficult when you're trying to get one kid's attention, or if one starts wandering away. There is an attendance sheet just outside of the gym and the kids put a tick next to their name when they come in, which doesn't help with remembering the names. There can be up to 50 kids in the class, and we split into 6 groups, so that's a lot of names to remember anyway. It's also next to impossible to remember where one kid is skill-wise, especially when you coach 3 of these kind of rec classes per week, plus other age groups, competitive teams, pre-school classes, etc. That's a lot of kids to remember!

We do the opposite. With higher level gymnasts we keep them with the same coach but young beginners move around to a multitude of different coaches. We can just do this because there are so many of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back