Parents So how do you handle dinners with late practices?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tuesday and Wednesday practice ends at 8:30 :( ...and we live 20 minutes away. So it's PBJ and other car friendly food (smoothies, fruit, protein bars...) on the drive home! I do my best to do "real" dinners the other nights...all we can do is our best, right?!

On the days that practice is from 5-8:30 (2 days), we have dinner very early. They don't have a snack break. Basically we eat at ~4:30, get dressed and go. It might be a regular dinner, or a smallish one, but I usually insist she has something substantial before practice. Then I make sure there are some leftovers, because she is usually hungry again when we get home.

My daughter eats a mini meal before practice (5-9). Usually a bagel/cream cheese, quesadilla (made the night before, she will eat this cold), rice/noodles, pita pizza. She takes fruit and/or a granola bar for snack at practice.

I bring dinner for her to eat in the car on the way home. I have the divided Ziploc containers someone posted. They are GREAT but unfortunately are discontinued! There are other brands out there, though.

Dinner is a protein (chicken or fish, turkey taco meat or meatballs are favorites) along with a veggie and fruit. Proteins are key for muscles after practice. She does the carbs before practice.

Car friendly (sliced cucumbers, peppers, grape tomatoes etc). I typically cook a few things on Sunday (crockpot chicken or pork) along with taco or meatballs. Then I just heat something up in the microwave, add the veggies and fruit and put it in the container.

We are 20 minutes from the gym but eating in the car saves time when she gets home. Then she showers and finishes up HW (HS kids=more HW). 95% of the time, she is in bed by 11.

@Flossyduck sorry for dragging up this post but do you have a recipe for the no bake energy bars please. I have bought almond and cashew butter and she isn't that keen so I need to use it upo_O

Hi. Sorry, just seen this.

1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup nut butter, 1/3 cup runny honey, 1/2 cup wheatgerm or ground flax, 1tsp vanilla.

To that you add seeds, nuts and fruit. You can add coconut, but my dd hates coconut. I use Linwoods milled flax seeds with cocoa and dried berries already added, which is nice and simple. It's expensive, but the bag lasts for ages. Toasted sesame seeds are nice. Sometimes I use linseeds, which don't add much flavour, but a bit of crunch.

You just mix it all together (it's quite a dry mix) and leave it in the fridge for about half an hour and then shape into little bars or balls. I keep them in the fridge in an airtight tub and they last a week.

My dd doesn't love them, but she says they are ok and she will eat them readily enough. My son adores them!

No matter what I feed DD in the car, she still wants a meal when we get home. Until I let her have a giant burrito in the car. Now once a week, we get to bed earlier after a car burrito. May just need to wash out the car a little more often...

upload_2014-11-7_11-27-25.jpeg

just out the oven, give it an hour and e can cut it !

Thank-you @Flossyduck i need to buy wheat germ or flax seeds so will get some tomorrow and give it a go and hope they like them
My smiley disappeared :D

I hope they do too. They do taste kinda healthy and worthy. You need to play around with the ingredients. I've got mine down to combinations mine like, but the first attempts didn't go down too well and were eaten cos it was during a week long intensive training week and I said she needed to eat them or she wouldn't be going back for the next session. That was a bit horrible wasn't it...:oops:

My dd hated them with peanut butter as she said they were too sweet and sometimes they've been a bit dry and solid. Just don't make them too big as they are really filling and quite dense.

Not selling them well am I. Honestly they're quite nice now and definitely full of goodness.

I would definitely still prefer cake in any form.

Lol, I will try half quantities to start with until I find one they like ;) I am way more likely to make these than cake (which I don't really like!) so I am sure she will appreciate them, plus if they don't involve the oven she can make her own :cool:

hubbie is back and he has cut it

View attachment 5045
Yumm. See, I think your cake looks like yummy bread. We have cake and then we have things like banana bread, pumpkin bread etc. Still pretty sweet, but somehow made to sound better than cake. It's should all just be called cake.

I feel like Benny from the Lego movie, instead of spaceship though I want to run around yelling "CAKE!!!"

For dinner, I make it ahead of time, and put it into thermoses for those who eat it before practice, or between classes (one of the coaches in my family), and keep the rest at home, for the folks who are there. We make a point to eat dinner together on the weekends and also Friday night, when practice is over at 7. That's about all I have been able to figure out. (-:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back