Parents Any Gymmies with Practice on Halloween?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym has practice that night, but we aren't going. My older dd (level 10 gymmie) feels like it might be one of her last chances to trick or treat and I don't feel like its fair to her siblings to make them stop enjoying the night to take their sister to gym and pick her up. One night off isn't going to make or break anything for us!

My daughter's gym never has practice on Halloween. The first year I was a little ticked off because they didn't bother to tell us in advance and we showed up for practice only to find the gym empty. She had dressed up as an Olympic gymnast and was excited to wear her costume to the gym.

DD's practice is optional tomorrow and if they go, practice will end at 6pm. I have no guilt about missing since she will has a Saturday practice anyway. Plan to enjoy a chilly,wet Halloween with my kids!

I am kinda surprised so many gyms close. As someone who was never into Halloween big, I just don't get it. It's not like it's thanksgiving day or something. To me, getting to be a kid has nothing to do with massive amounts of candy. I am still kinda annoyed my girls school is closed tomorrow. It's all a bit too much IMHO. Plus, it's not like our tuition is discounted because they decided to close.

I am not a huge Halloween fan myself, but for kids, it is a fun thing to do. I get it. And like I said, coaches have kids, grandkids, etc. They want to participate as well. I don't get schools being closed, but I can see not having night practices.

My dd's practice was rescheduled to Sunday. She wouldn't have gone anyway because she is only 6 and is so excited about Halloween. No way would I take that away from her. :)

Our gym is closed Halloween, and I would not let my daughter go even if is was open. Halloween is the most creative holiday there is. It's not just about the candy. My daughter starts talking about her costume ideas sometime in September. Kids LOVE to dress up and be creative. Even if it's a store bought costume, they get to be something or someone else for a few hours. That is FUN for kids!! This is the only holiday that is really friend-focused rather than family-focused and/or church-focused for many kids, especially ages 8+. She always trick or treats with a couple friends and this year being on a Friday there is all sorts of awesome fun stuff planned. This is a very social holiday and having healthy friendships outside of gym is important, let em' have fun!! The candy is just a small part of it, and she forgets about the candy after a short time anyway.
With that said, if she had a meet or something over the weekend (not likely many scheduled), I would let her have a couple pieces and make her wait to get her "no candy rules" night until after the meet. Gym is open as usual on Saturday....

Our gym cancelled practice for the whole team.

A lot of girls and a couple of coaches would have been gone anyway with an out of town meet this weekend.

The one day of the year NOT to go to practice, my gymmies are BEGGING to go!
Go figure.

PS I am pulling them early.

PS, if you are not that big into Halloween (I personally don't dress up but do wear something goofy on my head for a bit), and your daughter would rather be at gym practicing and doesn't have school or neighborhood friends outside of gym to hang out with on Halloween.... I challenge you to take up the reins yourself, do something goofy yourself (with them), and have some fun together on Halloween!! The goals being giggling, laughing, squealing, screaming, kicking leaves, enjoying itty bitties in costumes, a little creepy decorations, whatever..... Role model some letting loose and fun goofiness on the U.S. holiday that celebrates creativity... Go for it! It's on a Friday this year, how awesome is that????

I just want to say that as a family we love most of Halloween traditions. We have been decorated for almost a month, have carved pumpkins and made costumes, made crafts, and watched "scary" movies.

My kids- even my 13yo- still play dress up regularly and are in costume at school today even though most kids are too cool to dress up at their middle school. My DD who still has practice is actually missing a bday party in addition to trick or treating. To me however it isn't an important holiday, and they see their friends all the time. We get to be creative and have fun nearly every day of the year.

Maybe it's just "where we are" in our lives, but I pay almost $900 month for gym and dance and I refuse to waste a penny of it. To allow them to skip, to me, tells them that I don't respect the sacrifices we make (and they are many) to pay for it all. Their getting to be a kid means they get to do what they love and don't have to pay for it. They do have to respect that it isn't free or cheap. The candy part is incidental. On halloween in the past they have trick or treated and then sold the candy to their dentist.

Two years ago when my girls were in rec, our gym was open on Halloween (even for the rec classes). Last year and this year, their team practice didn't and won't fall on Halloween night so nothing to cancel. They will have practice the next morning though.
@Canadian_gym_mom - our school was closed Nov 1 last year. I also thought what a smart idea and appreciated it ;)

And... I love the trick-n-treating atmosphere. Maybe it's because we are lucky with our neighborhood. I don't dress up, just the kids and dogs do... but I will miss it when my kids are old enough to go on their own :(

I would LOVE to get rid of all the hard candy and lollipops! Thumb up for a dentist who buys them!

Everywhere we have lived there has been a dentist who did something along these lines. One bought it outright for cash, another gave little coupons for a free movie ticket, another a little toy. Wouldn't hurt to ask your dentist!

We have lots of dentists that do that. We have schools that collect it and send it other places.

I am just so glad that D does not have to make this choice. It would be a tough one for him, and he hates that. This way, everyone (coaches included) get to enjoy Halloween. one night off from practice is not goign to hurt anyone.

That being said...D will be at practice Sat morning!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back