WAG Level 4 end pose

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdoc

Proud Parent
Our 4s and 5s train together. Can the 4s chose their last pose in the floor routine as well? I see some of the girls ending with something like the beginning of a Valdez, with 2 feet and one arm on the floor . Can a level 4 use that end pose?

5s have more music. 4s have two beats after they first sit up on their side reaching side. Those two beats are optional with the limitation that they must be in a sitting position. To me that was a polite way of writing they should be on their bottom. I saw one routine where the kid went into splits by swinging her leg around, and to me that seems to be pushing it although I'm not sure if they addressed that directly. In 5 splits are okay.

Yup, they can choose an ending position but have to stay seated in L4. We saw some gyms where the girls were allowed to choose their own from the start, some gyms where all the girls had the same ending pose, and most gyms seemed to do something slightly different.
Our gym had a standard ending pose, and then once the girls got above a 9 on floor they got to choose their own. :)
For L5 our standard ending pose is something like the one described above (somewhat like starting a Valdez) and I really like that a lot better than the L4 pose. :) I'm not sure yet if the coaches will let them choose their own after hitting a 9 this year or not.

Okay, so my follow up question is how do I approach the coach? I have 2 daughters in level 4 this year. Do I just tell my daughters to change their end pose to something butt down, or do I bring it up to the coach who doesn't seem to know that nuance? I don't want to be CGM but we've had a lot of changes in our gym this fall and I'm not super confident in our new HC right now.

Our old gym had a standard ending pose they chose for level 4s, but girls repeating this year get to choose their own pose.

While level 4s are allowed to change the ending pose, nor ask coaches want them to. I would not have your daughters change the pose without permission.

I don't want to be CGM but we've had a lot of changes in our gym this fall and I'm not super confident in our new HC right now.

I understand what you are saying as I had similar issues with one of our coaches last year (she is not longer part of our gym so I am back in my comfort zone and trusting our coaches - big relief)...
However IMO the end pose is not such a big deal, there won't be the deduction for just 'being the same', nor bad habits developing or safety concerns, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think gym doc is saying that the ending the gym/HC has chosen for the L4's is NOT seated and would go against the USAG regulations for the L4 floor routine, right?
If that's the case, I think I would say something. I'm not exactly sure how I would bring it up.... Very hard to question it without sounding like you're, well, questioning the HC..!

Reading again seems all your 4's and 5's are getting to choose their own BUT the coach is not telling the 4's to stay seated. Is that correct? If so, I would definitely have your girls change their poses and say something at practice. I know one of my girls is a researcher (like me) and will look up YouTube videos and rules for everything, so you guys could always say something like you were looking up endings for inspiration and saw that all remained seated, looked around on the USAG website to figure out why and saw the floor routine by-play (it is listed, step by step I the website, easily accessible for all).

Yes, all the 4s got to chose their end pose (with approval from HC) and some are seated and some are not. I don't want them to lose points on something so easy!

SupriseGymMom - I like your suggestion. I just printed off the illustration of level 4 floor routine and I'll have my older daughter bring it in.

I am sorry I obviously misread your first post. For youtube video, you can use this one - it explicitly states that the gymnast must remain seated ('hips cannot leave the floor' - 3:49). Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back