Parents Is years of gymnastics physically harmful?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There seem to be a lot of folks out there who believe that gymnastics can really harm a growing body. Of course it is very important that the coaches know what they are doing but is it possible that doing J.O. hours for so many years is harmful even with the best of coaches? I would love to hear some opinions on this from this board in particular -as you all chose the sport despite the reputation.

not true

I would love to hear some opinions on this from this board in particular -as you all chose the sport despite the reputation.

Ha ha ha ha -- I never chose this sport! My kids chose it, I had nothing to do with it (other than "letting" them and paying the bills). I figure the depression they'd spin into if I made them stop is worse than the aches and pains they have and will have. I agree with everyone else; there are pluses and minuses with anything they may have chosen to do, and their pediatrician's comments suggest she wishes all kids were as healthy as mine.

Thanks for he replies. I guess what I'm really asking is how much is too much? There is a lot of research out there suggesting that even 10 hours at age 9 or 10 of ANY sport is too much physically. JO hours tend to be even higher than this. Is anyone concerned about this? There are even some gyms that are less competitive and keep hours down and move the kids through the levels more slowly in order to prevent long-term damage to their bodies. Does anyone agree that this is important or is there no concern with the high hours?

I think people have already given their views about their concerns or otherwise about general long term large hour training.

Individually, the number of hours that are "too much" at any point are going to vary by child and change with their age. It could be "too much" either physically or emotionally, in either case the child will let you know pretty quickly. Some kids can handle more than others.

There is no magic "that's too many hours" statement that someone can make about your child or my child.

In my completely parental opinion, I would rather my girls be spending all those hours training than watching tv or playing video games. But.. Big but.. There are limits to what I would find healthy too. I would, for instance, never want my kids to push through real pain or train injured. I wouldn't want them training to the point that they are too exhausted for school. I wouldn't want them having a schedule so tight they are sleep and/or nutrition deprived. I don't, nor would I really want, elite level DDs. I think everything in moderation is the key to life, but moderation is a subjective term, and changeable for each individual. I know for a fact that one of my DDs could handle many more hours of training than the other with no ill effects. The targets for their well being are different.

Of course there is concern with the high hours - the higher they get in levels, the more time commitment required. It affects every single aspect of our lives, not just potential future pain. It is an individual choice as to whether it is right for your family. I think (from looking at your posts) you are relatively early in your gymnastics journey (sorry if I'm wrong). You need to gauge every step of the way to decide if it is "too much", both for your child and for your family values/sacrifice.

For comparison, my daughters (age 13 & 14) are at the gym 30 hours a week. 5 hours a day, M-Sat. We have modified school schedules. We don't travel much, except for meets. We don't take vacations, except for a week in June. We don't make weekend plans, except when on the summer schedule. Frankly, the fact that they may have a sore knee or elbow when they are 40 is the least of our issues at this point. We are busy trying to keep some sort of "normalcy" and balance - which in all truth probably went out the window 3 years ago when they became Optionals.

If I could go back in time, I don't know if I would have signed dd up for that first rec. class. I had no idea what would become of it. But then again, I can't picture our lives any other way. My girls are happy.

If you consider the entire issue of long term aches and pain in the context of future health made possible through the sport.......

I spent three years competing at a high level while burdened with tendonitis and bursitis, yet am in far better shape than most folks 15 years younger. I'll admit the pain still effects me and limits what I can do, but only when I try to do something way outside the box.

Osteoporosis runs in my family, and my daughter is built very slightly. I think that when she's 80, she will be very glad to have put all these hours into building bone mass and bone density now with the weight-bearing workouts she is doing, and I hope she is building a habit of physical fitness that will last for a lifetime. I'll take a few aches and pains in my 40s and 50s if it means I'm less likely to break a hip when I'm 82.

High hours/commitment in youth sports these days is across the board, although the skills in gymnastics and for girls the early peak age due put added pressure on them young is unique. Physically, as an MD, I don't see "more" injuries from gym that other sports, especially once the kids get to puberty - and lots fewer concussions!!! Gymnastic parents are actually more reasonable with treating injuries/taking time off in my experience, than the high school football/soccer/baseball parents and coaches...

I ran/swam and danced many hours a week as a teen and young adult - my knees and hips now reflect that. My kids will have aches and pains, but they are in shape, have strong bones, and healthy work ethics. DD, who recently came back to training L8 after a 6 week break to decide if she still wanted to do gymnastics (tons of back story - fears, puberty/growth spurt while training 20 hours a week - but she's still 4'9", and some awful coaching stuff over the last couple of years both emotionally and training wise before moving to new gym). Yesterday she said to me "I feel so much better being back in the gym - physically and emotionally. I'm not so worried about everything and I can sleep. And I'm having fun again". For an adolescent to have something like that in their lives is totally worth a few overuse injuries/issues as an adult, in my mind. If she didn't feel that way, she wouldn't have gone back....and as her parent I agree!

Yep, therefore, I don't get too concerned. Sitting on a couch all the time is just harmful in a different way! .

Actually, sitting is MUCH more detrimental to the lower back than is standing/walking. Bus and truck drivers tend to get a lot of low back pain. Sitting compresses and degenerates discs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back