Parents Any Gymmies with Practice on Halloween?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No practice for us :) My DD is a bit torn. She has missed a lot due to illness and really needs and wants the practice but on the other hand she wants to go out with her friends. At 12 there aren't too many more opportunities.

Our gym is cancelled. I wish they would have rescheduled team practice instead of just canceling, because we only have 2 practices to start with. That said, I wouldn't have made my kid miss trick-or-treating just for one practice. He's only 6, so it's still very important to him.

Trick or treat is tonight for us. Practice for our team tonight is cancelled. Regularly scheduled practice tomorrow (Fri) and Sat. AM not changed.

Practice cancelled for us! :) my kids are little and have been waiting for Halloween since June, so there was no question that they wouldn't have gone, anyway.

Both gyms cancelled practice. If they had not I would give my the girls the option to go. My ODD is 10 and her trick or treating days are almost over so I am glad she is getting to go.
My girls are going to the dentist this aft :)

@MILgymFAM - I understand about not wanting to waste a penny of practice dollars. I am letting my DD skip but it's really going against my grain to not send her to practice when she is otherwise healthy. I am not a big Halloween person either but my kids absolutely embrace it so I have followed their lead over the years.

Our gym cancelled Friday night as well as Saturday morning for team. I get Friday night but not Saturday. Though my daughter is thrilled to have a Saturday to sleep in.

We have a shortened practice. Our practice starts at 3:30 and all girls have to do one time through each event. We have a meet on Sunday so I'm fine with it. DD is too.

Trick or treat is tonight for us. Practice for our team tonight is cancelled. Regularly scheduled practice tomorrow (Fri) and Sat. AM not changed.

Interesting. Why is trick or treating tonight in your area? I have heard of rescheduled trick or treating when Halloween falls on Sunday, but not for Friday. It's ok if you would rather not say. I am just curious.

Our girls have practice (5:10-8:10) but coach expects kids to leave early. Be that as it may, I'd be getting mine at 6:00. She has a meet the next day (not morning, thankfully), so I do want her to get "something" in.
So I've opted for a 4:30-5:30 practice to work just on what she needs the most work on (bars... and vault).
Win-Win :) (honestly, even without halloween, I'd prefer this scenario, so she could truly focus the night before, but it's hard to blow off regular practice and have a private when there's no extenuating circumstances.)

Ds' practice was moved to an hour earlier. But he would have gone either way, not a big fan of ToT. He doesn't like scary stuff. DD doesn't have gym and her dance is cancelled. It's more important to her too. We always make sure an adult is home for ToT too, as we want to be welcoming to all the ToTers.

Interesting. Why is trick or treating tonight in your area? I have heard of rescheduled trick or treating when Halloween falls on Sunday, but not for Friday. It's ok if you would rather not say. I am just curious.
Usually it is held on the 31st, but sometimes if Halloween falls on a Friday they move trick or treat to Thurs. I think a lot of it has to do with high school football games being played on Friday nights.

Practice is on at our gym, but dd is not going. She almost NEVER misses and has been putting in a ton of extra time after practice to try to get her giants. She deserves to be a kid tomorrow night. She's going trick-or-treating with 3 of her gym friends who no longer have practice on Fri nites, so she is the only one of them that is missing, but I'm fine with that.

Sounds like it will be a very small group tonight.

We have workout just because we have a meet this weekend. Many of our kids will choose trick or treat instead...but many of our communities don't do trick or treat on Halloween. No big deal if they don't come.

I just want to say that as a family we love most of Halloween traditions. We have been decorated for almost a month, have carved pumpkins and made costumes, made crafts, and watched "scary" movies.

My kids- even my 13yo- still play dress up regularly and are in costume at school today even though most kids are too cool to dress up at their middle school. My DD who still has practice is actually missing a bday party in addition to trick or treating. To me however it isn't an important holiday, and they see their friends all the time. We get to be creative and have fun nearly every day of the year.

Maybe it's just "where we are" in our lives, but I pay almost $900 month for gym and dance and I refuse to waste a penny of it. To allow them to skip, to me, tells them that I don't respect the sacrifices we make (and they are many) to pay for it all. Their getting to be a kid means they get to do what they love and don't have to pay for it. They do have to respect that it isn't free or cheap. The candy part is incidental. On halloween in the past they have trick or treated and then sold the candy to their dentist.

I'm willing to bet those gyms that are closed include Halloween as just one of those days that they are closed and that is accounted for in how they calculate tuition- much like other holidays, in house meet days, clinic days in the gym, or bad weather days. Team practices generally aren't looked at as something you "make up" like rec practices...at least that is what I'm told.

That would make sense if they planned on being closed all along. YDDs gym just decided this week- they had been on the fence. That tells me they obviously didn't factor the day off into tuition. The no make up thing is why I changed my ODDs schedule to eliminate weekends, including Fridays starting in a few weeks- once meet season is here those practices will be canceled more often than not.

Dd (9) will be at gym. Her choice! It will be a lighter load of girls and she will get some one on one time with her Friday coach which she will LOVE! She has never really been in to Halloween much and has chosen. The gym two years in a row.

That would make sense if they planned on being closed all along. YDDs gym just decided this week- they had been on the fence. That tells me they obviously didn't factor the day off into tuition. The no make up thing is why I changed my ODDs schedule to eliminate weekends, including Fridays starting in a few weeks- once meet season is here those practices will be canceled more often than not.
I see....of course they probably will still tell you that there have "contingency" days they can use at will and decided to use one for Halloween this year lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back