Parents Hairstyles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommy25qtpies

Proud Parent
Need ideas for hairstyles for upcoming meets. Rules are no ponytails and no bobby pins. Also we have a backward roll so no middle of the head buns. My daughter has straight mid back length hair with layers. Baby hairs around her face.

If anyone has YouTube videos to share would be much appreciated as I am not a hair styling expert.

Thank you in advance!

The no bun because of backwards rolls seems odd. Most of the meets we are at the gymnasts wear buns and the L3 floor routine has a backward roll. If you have the bun high enough it doesn't impact the roll.

Also, no bobby pins would end us. Our boosters did a bun clinic showing how to "sew" the bun as a way to secure it and I took one look and went "nope." It seems to work for some of the girls though. The only reason I can see to dictate no bobby pins is not wanting them to fall out - which would be a deduction (we had a girl lose her scrunchy during her floor routine and the judges weren't nice about it deduction wise). Other than that, as long as the pins are secured, it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, what about braiding it into a few braids and pulling it into a pony then looping the braids BACK through the elastic(s) on the pony to keep it secure?

There are some ideas on this thread:
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/t...m-experienced-hair-masters.48713/#post-337780
And you can search threads (using the search box at the top of the CB page) for 'competition hair' which will bring up lots of threads with things that people have tried in the past.
If you can braid or you've got time to learn, this one is excellent and stays in well. You could secure by sewing the braid:
You can also go onto CuteGirlsHairstyles on youtube - I think they have a gymnastics hairstyle section.
Good luck!

Reactions: COz
How would they know if you used a bobby pin to secure the hair in a bun?? My daughter hair longer hair and I do a side pony and then braid the hair and twist into a bun and secure with bobby pins. This looks so cute and sleek on her.

How old is your DD? If she is young enough for pigtails, two high pigtails, braid the piggies, then loop back under and secure, add cute ribbons and you are done. Can also twist the braids around into two small buns, secure with elastic, bun nets over the top and again ribbons around each bun. My DD wore both styles for meets up until around age 8-9 yrs and it looked super cute.

If she is older, a high ponytail, divide into three or four sections, plait each section and tuck the plaits back up under, finish with ribbon or scrunchie. DD can easily manage a backward roll in this style, the trick is getting the ponytail up high.

Wispy hairs around the front, the trick is simply lots and lots of product - gel or mousse - will both work, just need to use enough of it, and then finish with a strong hold hairspray.

My youngest dd said something about not being allowed to have a bun in their competition (not until December), said it was because of backwards rolls. Dd has mid back length fine hair, I use water spray and gel in her hair as she is allergic to hairspray. Dd prefers to have to buns (close to each ear), she said it as more comfortable to have her hair like that when she does forwards rolls on the beam. I use hair nets over the little buns and then secure with small bobby pins then add a small scrunchie and use a few more bobby pins to secure that, she hasn't had any issues with her buns falling out or becoming loose, she had her hair like that all day yesterday for gym and it looks like I won't have to redo it today for gym (just smooth the wispy bits down with water spray and gel),

Ahhhh. The sign of a good hairdo, when you can re-use it the following day! <satisfied nod>
My youngest wore her "meet hair" (meaning YES she is gross and didn't bathe) from Saturday till yesterday.. FINALLY got her to bathe.. she is 6 ok LOL... but her hair looked awesome!

My youngest wore her "meet hair" (meaning YES she is gross and didn't bathe) from Saturday till yesterday.. FINALLY got her to bathe.. she is 6 ok LOL... but her hair looked awesome!
Round of applause from here!! Yes, we've been there. Mine is 5. I figure we should get away with this as long as possible :)

^^ My DD is pulling her bun out as the last award is being presented. Just make the bun either high or low. I do not use bobby pins either. Dd has long, thick hair. I put it in wet, with gel. I make a ponytail, then put the donut around it, twist the ends and tuck them under, spray well with hairspray and then put a hairnet over it. Finish with another hair elastic over the bun and then a scrunchie. Spray lots. It doesn't budge!!

I spilt the head of hair at her natural part (off center). Also part out under her ears (think 1/2 up. Then French braid each side independently toward the back. Secure braids at the point when you cannot French braid any longer. Then take both braid ends and remaining hair and secure in tight pony. Then I curl it. Spray it until you can't spray it anymore.

My daughter has the finest hair I have ever seen.... Lots of wispies... And we have had no issues at her meets!

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1414716900.490545.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1414716928.961855.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1414716946.855101.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back