WAG Peeling skin on hands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmommy123

Proud Parent
Tonight when I went to pick up my dd from practice, she had some pretty ugly hands. Rips on both hands, but what was even stranger was that at least half of each palm was very red and painful. Before practice she had mentioned how her hands were peeling and it appears that the top layer of skin is peeling off, leaving VERY tender skin underneath. Any idea why this is suddenly happening? She doesn't normally rip or have any issues with bars. She's level 3 and doesn't wear grips yet. Her coaches had no idea what was happening, or why her hands looked so bad. Any suggestions on what to put on them to help them heal quickly? She only has a day to rest them before next practice.

Thank you!

I made a little glove out of an old sock for DD and smear Aquafor on her hand. She wears it over night and it really helps the healing process.

Definitely not high humidity, we live in a very dry area. They are still peeling really bad, and the rips aren't healing well. Luckily no bars today so her hands get a few days' rest, but not much :-/

I find the secret for P&F is moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. I keep a tube in the car to use on the way home. The chalk really dries her hands so the moisturiser helps counteract that.

Is she allowed to fashion herself some tape grips? That's what our compulsories do (our gym doesn't allow grips until higher level optionals).

"focal palm peeling"? sounds like keratolysis. maybe one of the Docs here can sound in??

"focal palm peeling"? sounds like keratolysis. maybe one of the Docs here can sound in??

Looked this up, and it does sound very much like what she has going on... ironically, we did return just a couple weeks ago from a vacation where she was in the ocean/salt water quite a lot for 9 days. I wonder if there is a connection? It doesn't seem to be improving very much. I will ask her coaches to make tape grips for both hands, otherwise I'm afraid she'll rip terribly with so much of her skin peeling off. She is very concerned about skipping bars since she has a meet this weekend and state in a couple of weeks. I fashioned the sock gloves, like mentioned above, and had her put some really good dermatologist moisturizing cream on both hands. Hopefully it will help somewhat.

I think if you search youtube for a video you will find that tape grips are not difficult to make. Rather than asking the coaches, you could likely do it yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back