Parents Any Gymmies with Practice on Halloween?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym opted to cancel practice for all but the two highest level training groups and they are getting out early. I was glad because we were not going anyhow. It's one of the very rare occasions where I feel that being a kid and getting to do fun things trumps practice. I really do not like for then to miss. I had a discussion with them about the fact that this is a commitment and you need to follow through and not just skip because you don't feel like going. They get that as much as any 5 and 7 year old kid can but Halloween only comes around once a year!

We don't have practice on Friday so no choice for us, but the gym is closing at 4 anyway.

Dd sends her Halloween candy to the soldiers that are deployed over seas every year. She keeps a little but she is not really big into candy anyway.

Trick or treat, however, is a big deal. She makes her own costume most years (this year even involved sewing). She is 8 and I would have pulled her out of practice early if she had to go tomorrow. We do sacrifice to pay for her gym but I don't think letting her skip for halloween belittles that sacrifice. One night is not a big deal. Two actually because I let her skip the night of the father/daughter dance at school, too.

My ds practices 12:30 to ,4:30, so not an issue for him. My dd is going in early to be done by ,4:30, too. The gym for rec kids is closed. Usually, very few kids show up anyway on holidays. Easier to cancel and let the coaches have time with their families. The team kids will all have abbreviated practice. No meet for our team this weekend.

That would make sense if they planned on being closed all along. YDDs gym just decided this week- they had been on the fence. That tells me they obviously didn't factor the day off into tuition. The no make up thing is why I changed my ODDs schedule to eliminate weekends, including Fridays starting in a few weeks- once meet season is here those practices will be canceled more often than not.

Do they charge you extra for months that have additional practice days (I.e. 5 Mondays instead of 4?)

The gym is closed the entire day Halloween ( my DD doesn't practice that day anyway) and team practice was cancelled for Saturday. You are supposed to make up the Saturday during the following weeks practice as State is the following weekend.

Our area is weird. Trick-or-treating was actually tonight. I don't know why they schedule trick or treating on a different night, but I grew up around here and they did it when I was a kid, so it's nothing new. In the past, they've had an optional practice on trick-or-treat night, but this year they just cancelled. At 13 my daughter only has 4 or 5 girls on the team who are older than her, and she still went trick or treating, so I'm sure it just didn't make sense to have practice. Tomorrow they're having a special Halloween-themed practice.

Our gym will be closed tomorrow afternoon/evening. Not a practice night for us anyways, so it didn't matter. Older DDs dance studio only offers one class on Friday evenings (advanced ballet) and they opted to cancel that this week (most of the teachers have kids and some of the students are still trick-or-treating age).
FWIW, I have always had my kids go to whatever practices or classes they have if it falls on Halloween. Usually they end early enough to where they can still get some ToTing in afterwards. We do enjoy Halloween, but also don't skip classes or practices for pretty much anything other than illness or vacation.
Both of them have practice pretty early Saturday morning, and I am coaching my group of gymmies as well. :)

Halloween! They are kids once! I get just as excited as them. My children are 9,11 and 13. My dd 11) I took off of work so I can get them in costume and ready for school! can't wait for the parades,the trick or treating with their friends and then 10 kids back at my house for pizza at 6:30! They only go from about 4-615 here anyway, I could not imagine missing it for anything. All sports shut down in the afternoon around here!

Yes of course we do! We are Australian Halloween is not very comely celebrated here!
We are Aussies too, Halloween is getting bigger in our area with a Halloween themed disco being run by the police ( blue light disco) , and our kids T or Ting,.. Dd had the option but chose gym- she wore a cute black Leo with a gold moon and shimmery stars on it and took a treat bag for all her friends; they loved it as apparently they had all wanted to go to various Halloween celebrations but instead had chosen gym practise.

Wow, I'm surprised by all the gyms that cancel practice on Halloween!

Dd doesn't have practice on Fridays, but as far as I know, the gym is operating on the regular schedule. We usually get emails if there is a gym wide closure for any reason and I haven't gotten one.

Last year, we were out of town on Halloween, so I don't recall specifically, but I'm pretty sure gym had regular practice.

Our gym canceled evening practices (or rescheduled to a different night for team). The girls that do 2-a-days have the afternoon off. Everyone dressed up yesterday at practice. They whole team dressed as minions and the coaches /older girls were the evil dad and the 3 little girls, it was pretty cute :)

My DD's gym canceled. She was going to go for 1/2 practice but the gym decided to give everyone a night off. Although with the weather here might have been better for her to be at the gym.

We are in a drought, so of course it's raining steadily today. But, really can't complain, we need it. It should stop around 7pm, so hopefully Trick or Treating will still happen.

Practice as usual, but girls can leave early. My gymmie stayed all last year and was the only one at her level to do that. This year, she's just going TOT.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back