Being More Critical

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am relatively new to TnT and fairly new to gymnastics. I have a bit over 2 years coaching and a half of that specifically TnT. I am now the assistant coach for my gyms TnT Team and my head coach is great at what he does. 15 years of TnT experience and already produced several level 10s who win.

Now that being said I need tips or videos on the tiny technical details I am supposed to be seeing. My head coach says I need to be meaner, but it's mostly that I don't see what he sees. I correct any mistakes I see but for my 1 he has 7 corrections. I want to be better but I don't want to ask and seem like I don't know what I'm doing in front of the team. These kids sense weakness and I can't let that happen. I am looking for a source of corrections or proper ways to do things that breaks skills down to the smallest possible components. The only way I feel like I can get to the level he wants is to know all these skills inside and out. I have checked out drillsandskills.com and other sites like it but most of those are more artistic gymnastics oriented. While good I am looking for something TnT specific.

TL-DR : I need help being more critical. Anything that will help? Videos, articles, books, sites specifically on TnT?

Reactions: COz
If you're comfortable asking, let the HC or your supervising coach know what you've said here, that you're only seeing 1 correction for the 7 that they can see.
See if you can video the kids doing something and then getting the corrections from the coach. Or even show the coach later and get them to give you the corrections that they would have made and take notes. Set it up as a "so the kids can see their necessary corrections in slow motion" but keep it so you can practice seeing those things, gradually increasing the speed so you can see it in real time.
You can also video and then sit the kids down and ask them as a group to comment on possible corrections. Depending on their level, they might be able to help quite a bit, but as you're aware, if you're showing any doubt this wouldn't work.
There are several apps out there that let you do slow motion nicely on an iPad/tablet and the kids find it fun. Parents also like seeing video of their kids so it would be pretty easy to work this in.

No one knows everything from the start. Good luck.

If you're comfortable asking, let the HC or your supervising coach know what you've said here, that you're only seeing 1 correction for the 7 that they can see.
See if you can video the kids doing something and then getting the corrections from the coach. Or even show the coach later and get them to give you the corrections that they would have made and take notes. Set it up as a "so the kids can see their necessary corrections in slow motion" but keep it so you can practice seeing those things, gradually increasing the speed so you can see it in real time.
You can also video and then sit the kids down and ask them as a group to comment on possible corrections. Depending on their level, they might be able to help quite a bit, but as you're aware, if you're showing any doubt this wouldn't work.
There are several apps out there that let you do slow motion nicely on an iPad/tablet and the kids find it fun. Parents also like seeing video of their kids so it would be pretty easy to work this in.

No one knows everything from the start. Good luck.

That is a great idea. Picked up Coaches Eye and Ubersense. I may have to see if he can find the time to sit with me and pick apart their skills, even pick it apart myself and leave him with my corrections to see if i am "seeing the right things".

Reactions: COz
Well done, setting yourself homework! :)

Write down your corrections, it'll be a good record of your progress, but don't make him read them. Read them to him, you don't want him to feel like it's any effort to do this with you and most people find it easier to do this sort of stuff verbally. Don't ask him to write anything, it's much more effort for him to do this than sitting down with him and asking to record what he says or just take notes. Make it as painless as possible for him to quickly give you the corrections.
It should only take a few minutes, he would give the corrections to a child in seconds in the gym. Record it, go away and make sure you can see them, go back and ask for clarification if you can't.

Congratulations on your attitude. Willingness to admit when you need help and willingness to learn new things is such an important thing in any teaching profession.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back